IAM/TWU aim low.......

blue collar said:
Agreed. Pensions are nice to supplement your 401k just like SS is, but it ties you to either the company or union and the rules they have set up. I'm not saying pensions are bad - just that they're not an improvement over a company matched 401k.
401k's were made to supplement pensions. Somewhere along the line company's got this a$$ backwards and workers jumped on the "koolaid" train.

Reactions: 3 people
Bob Owens said:
Agreed. If we had 401ks all along then more than likely we would all be earning a lot more and have most of our workrules and benefits intact. people gave up everything to save the pensions and ultimately lost them anyway. Our pensions became their most powerful weapon. 
Really Bob. I usually agree with you on alot of stuff but have to disagree with you on this. The way AA treated our 401k's in the 90s with the bullshit crew running the plan....we made hardy any money on our investments. The rip roaring late 90s people were making a crap ton of money in their 401k's except at AA. They finally went with a real investment broker (JP Morgan) where I had finally felt I was making money on my 401k investment. I liked JP Morgan but the fee's they charge us are a little ridiculous.

Reactions: 2 people
xUT said:
After loosing my DBP I'll take a 401K match any day.
A DBP is nothing more than smoke and mirrors designed to keep employees beholding to the company and/or union in some cases.
The PBGC gives me $1K a month, live on that!
B) xUT
Aiming low.......the pilots and FAs small associations were able to get 401k CONTRIBUTIONS of 17% and 9% respectively. They are not large unions, they are associations. They don't have the "power" of the afl-cio. They are not an alliance of two big industrial unions (TWU, IAM) and they were both able to do better in BK.

bigjets said:
Aiming low.......the pilots and FAs small associations were able to get 401k CONTRIBUTIONS of 17% and 9% respectively. They are not large unions, they are associations. They don't have the "power" of the afl-cio. They are not an alliance of two big industrial unions (TWU, IAM) and they were both able to do better in BK.
That is what people think AMFA will do for them.

I think AMFA will have a few good years then turn into another TWU.

I hope to get an opportunity to find out.

I also hope I am dead wrong.

Duke787 said:
How many concessionary contracts does the TWU/IAM need to do before AMFA can get elected.
However long certain posters justify concessions today within bankruptcies nearly a decade ago.

Josh

swamt said:
And most people have and still will slam AMFA for being an "ASSOCIATION"
I noticed lately that the Association issue of AMFA not being a union but an Association has gone by the way side. Glad that dead horse has since moved on.

AMFA is in good company when it comes to Association.

Here is a list of some TRADE unions.

Airline Pilots Association
California Nurses Association
National Football League Players Association
International Association of bridge, structural, ornamental and reinforcing iron workers
International Association of Fire Fighters
International Longshoremen's Association
International Union of Police Association
National Air Traffic Controllers Association
Independent Pilots Association
Major league players Association
National basketball players Association
NHL players Association
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association
US airline pilots Association

Did I leave any important ones out? Oh yes the so called IAM. 
There is a reason why only to get a response from a certain IAM lackey.

1AA said:
I noticed lately that the Association issue of AMFA not being a union but an Association has gone by the way side. Glad that dead horse has since moved on.

AMFA is in good company when it comes to Association.

Here is a list of some TRADE unions.

Airline Pilots Association
California Nurses Association
National Football League Players Association
International Association of bridge, structural, ornamental and reinforcing iron workers
International Association of Fire Fighters
International Longshoremen's Association
International Union of Police Association
National Air Traffic Controllers Association
Independent Pilots Association
Major league players Association
National basketball players Association
NHL players Association
Patrolmen's Benevolent Association
US airline pilots Association

Did I leave any important ones out? Oh yes the so called IAM. 
There is a reason why only to get a response from a certain IAM lackey.
Guess who the National Basketball Players Association or the NFL players Association uses for legal?    That would be Seham.  I forget which one it is but they retained him while he was working on our negotiations, I remember him telling the story to all of us.

1AA said:
+1

Kind of like how anti worker advocates at my carrier almost spit the word "machinists" when describing the IAM, while at the same time conveniently ignoring the "aerospace workers" part.

and how many employees at an airline are involved in the design and manufacture of aircraft or space vehicles?

What do you expect to gain in a JCBA where the union has even less leverage than section 6? UAL and the IBT have been talking for three years. If this is the best you can do in Section 6, eight years after leaving BK then I'd hate to see what you can do in a JCBA. You certainly didn't do that well in the last JCBA round with the America West deal that has left you way, way behind UAL and Delta who went into BK just after you and also went through mergers. How many more decades will the IAM Leadership(?) be using BK as an excuse for poor deals how many billions does the carrier have to make before you demand a fair share? Where is the profit sharing? Oh yea, waiting for the JCBA, and maybe in 2017 we will see that. want to make things as easy for the company as possible as usual.
Pathetic.

JCBA in 2017?

We are already half way through 2018 and no signs of an agreement. As usual the IAM is always short on results but never short on excuses.

Josh