IAM Withdraws NMB Election Application

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello A.Net Friends,

I am on the job hunt for a position within the airline industry, preferably Customer Service, since I had done that before with ATA and Southwest Airlines at Chicago Midway Airport. I have just discovered that Delta Airlines has openings for customer service agents at MDW. My question is, what is the deal with most of their positions stating "Ready Reserve?" It states that agents can work anywhere from 300-1300 hours per year. That's QUITE a big range as a person making a commitment to a company would like to have a general idea if they are ever going to make a paycheck or not. Next question would be, what are the chances, and if so, how long until one can secure a full-time position? Any feedback would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Kevin

http://www.airliners.net/aviation-forums/tech_ops/read.main/331682/

"It depends how your station uses the ready reserves.

My station for example works us side by side with full time benefitted employees. We work 25 hours a week every week. You can pick up or give away as many shifts as possible. Once we reach the 1300 hour limit you can not work until the beginning of the next year. Use up your hours wisely or you could end up out of work for one or two months.

If you are in college, looking for a part time job, or just a second job I would say the ready reserve program is a good move. If you are married or raising kids and this would be your only job, then no. If you are single and willing to move to another station, then yes. The only way to secure a full time spot would be to move to another station that has openings, most likely a hub. I do not know how often MDW full time spots open up but you can either wait your time or get some time in and move on to a different station... "

Kev3188 said:
System wide? Not yet. On a station by station basis? In many places, yes.

At the rate the ramp/gate are goin', not too long. Probably longer for Reservations, simply because they already have a lower cost option in place with Work-From-Home agents.

Yes.
I started in 1995 Kev. PT with benefits. I left 2 years later for DFW to secure FT. It took those I hired on with 4 years to secure FT in LGA. But ALL of us always had those benefits.

I also topped out in 8 years. :D

your peers at DL make more money than you whether you can or will admit it or not and they get to choose from more stations to work in than at any of the other legacies.

Hey Kev are you happy having all of those in house stations to chose from if you knew that the only way to get into them would be to have to jump into the RR program?

With your current seniority how many of those stations do you think you could get into at your current status by percentages? Meaning basically how many "real" options do you have to move somewhere? 

WeAAsles said:
I started in 1995 Kev. PT with benefits. I left 2 years later for DFW to secure FT. It took those I hired on with 4 years to secure FT in LGA. But ALL of us always had those benefits.

I also topped out in 8 years. :D
I went to MEM to do the same, but PT had benefits at NW as well...

Our scale was 5 years at the time. :D

WeAAsles said:
Hey Kev are you happy having all of those in house stations to chose from if you knew that the only way to get into them would be to have to jump into the RR program?

With your current seniority how many of those stations do you think you could get into at your current status by percentages? Meaning basically how many "real" options do you have to move somewhere?
If it was strictly based on using one's seniority to get in somewhere, I think I might be able to hold the ramp in all but 3 or 4 places? I'd have to look. Going RR isn't something I want to do, so that limits things quite a bit, given that a lot of new spots and/or back filling of vacated FT positions is being done with RR's. MEM is no longer an option, of course...

Kev3188 said:
I went to MEM to do the same, but PT had benefits at NW as well...Our scale was 5 years at the time. :D  If it was strictly based on using one's seniority to get in somewhere, I think I might be able to hold the ramp in all but 3 or 4 places? I'd have to look. Going RR isn't something I want to do, so that limits things quite a bit, given that a lot of new spots and/or back filling of vacated FT positions is being done with RR's. MEM is no longer an option, of course...
So what would be your rough estimate of how much seniority would be needed to get into say 50% of the stations DL staffs? Are there any stations that are strictly RR? Those would be stations that I would have to strike from the list as counting or if there were any stations that you needed 35 years to get into as I should be retiring with only 32 years at AA.

Are they accepting transfers into any of these stations that they are back filling with RR?

if you were half as worried about providing protection for TWU members as you are about what DL offers, this board would have to shut down because there would be no TWU hatred to express any more

WeAAsles said:
So what would be your rough estimate of how much seniority would be needed to get into say 50% of the stations DL staffs?
Strictly a guess, but I would say 5-6 years for the ramp?

Are there any stations that are strictly RR?
No.

Those would be stations that I would have to strike from the list as counting or if there were any stations that you needed 35 years to get into as I should be retiring with only 32 years at AA.
Only one that really fits that mold is MEM. I doubt its a 35 year threshold, but it's got to be close.

WeAAsles said:
Are they accepting transfers into any of these stations that they are back filling with RR?
It doesn't quite work that way here. You can't put in an advance request to transfer to a station. You have to wait for a spot to be posted on our employee website (they specify RR or FT), and then throw your hat in the ring.

Kev3188 said:
Strictly a guess, but I would say 5-6 years for the ramp?

Alright maybe I should be more specific. How many years would be needed to get into these stations in a Full Time TOS status? Using myself as an example with 20 years FT TOS, how many stations could I maybe get into if there were openings?

Kev3188 said:
It doesn't quite work that way here. You can't put in an advance request to transfer to a station. You have to wait for a spot to be posted on our employee website (they specify RR or FT), and then throw your hat in the ring.
So if a FT leaves that station they can continue to back fill the positions with RR? If the station is kind enough to request the FT position vacated be filled again with a FT, can you secure the position by seniority? 

Status
Not open for further replies.