IBT drive at NWA

What baboons.....
threats, threats and more threats....
Go ahead decertify...I dare you!
As one of "those" people in other work groups....
I AM GLAD WE WERE NOT IAM.....

the IAM National Pension Plan into our contracts so each of us can have a secure retirement in spite of our airline's bankruptcy.

This valuable and secure pension would be lost if Teamster organizers are successful.

Same for UA Ramp & Stores.
This secures their "plan" unless they loose members to fund the plan.

IMHO, the 'real' plan is to lock in their members for life and use this as a whip to keep the membership 'in-line'.

Of course, I am sure that this would never come up in negotiations or a side letter...... :p

And I am definitely sure that there will be no under funding issues and Guido will not try to skim some of the cream. :rolleyes:

B) UT

UT--

Of all the items the company was asking for in each of the proposed concessionary agreements, the *one* thing everyone-junior, senior, 'tween- I spoke with were amenable to was the 401k match. NW would have frozen the pension anyway, so the choice was either the match, or the IAMNP plan. NO ONE wanted the IAM plan, yet it was the one thing the IAM fought hardest for. Not scope, not wages, their plan...

And just how much will retiring folks get from the IAM plan? No one can tell you! The officers in DL143 have no idea how much the multiplier will be..... :angry:

UT--

Of all the items the company was asking for in each of the proposed concessionary agreements, the *one* thing everyone-junior, senior, 'tween- I spoke with were amenable to was the 401k match. NW would have frozen the pension anyway, so the choice was either the match, or the IAMNP plan. NO ONE wanted the IAM plan, yet it was the one thing the IAM fought hardest for. Not scope, not wages, their plan...

And just how much will retiring folks get from the IAM plan? No one can tell you! The officers in DL143 have no idea how much the multiplier will be..... :angry:
Kev,

I think its a shame (sham-take your pick) I know you were looking forward to a defined pension plan. (401k/match).
Along with this so called pension, you guys should be getting a strike fund and an annuity like other unions who control their pensions. All this gets you is, we got u by the balzzzzzz...... :( :angry:

Kev,

I think its a shame (sham-take your pick) I know you were looking forward to a defined pension plan. (401k/match).
Along with this so called pension, you guys should be getting a strike fund and an annuity like other unions who control their pensions. All this gets you is, we got u by the balzzzzzz...... :( :angry:

Exactly.

I'm junior enough (relative to NW, anyway) that a pension is/was more of an abstract concept. I knew it was there, but it always seemed a ways off. A 401k match is basically free $$$ that *I* would've controlled to steer my own family's future.

Since they froze the pension, I (and everyone else) know what I'll get from that come 55 (or 65 or 75).

Like I mentioned, the choice was either a 5.5% or 6.5% match, or the IAMNP plan. Why not accept the company's plan and then take those "savings" from the Ask and put it toward some other item in the proposal?

Maybe if someone could've have given me a better idea of what the IAM's plan would pay, I'd have been more interested.

As it stands, it's just what you mentioned; a scam/sham.

Now why did we get rid of IBT?

Perhaps the Daughter of IBT will rear her pretty little head....

Ah Jenny -- speak kindly of my Teamster parents, they never worked in the air industry. On the other hand, any group that changes unions as often as NWA FAs have, and is still unhappy with the results, might want to think about reviewing their expectations.

Ah Jenny -- speak kindly of my Teamster parents, they never worked in the air industry. On the other hand, any group that changes unions as often as NWA FAs have, and is still unhappy with the results, might want to think about reviewing their expectations.
very wise. But hey, look at it like changing clothes. Makes you feel good for a bit, but then you realize it isn't working for you.... until you find one that fits.

UT--

Kev,

That's it in a nutshell.
When the IAM voted in their last contract, they lauded over the fact that they will have a DB plan and AMFA will not. When I asked them what they would get at retirement, then came the deer in the headlights stare and the the "Well, more than you will!" huff. :lol:
It's been over a year now and they still have nothing in writing.

On a side note, I guess this scheme worked so well that the IBT decided to pitch their DB plan as a selling point on their short lived card drive at UA. Same plan, no data, but I'll give credit to one of their salesman, he knew what an actuary table was, he just couldn't produce one. :p

Good Luck Kev :up:
B) UT

Same for UA Ramp & Stores.
This secures their "plan" unless they loose members to fund the plan.

IMHO, the 'real' plan is to lock in their members for life and use this as a whip to keep the membership 'in-line'.

And didnt the IAM lose a third of their membership between the last two conventions?

UT--

How well did the IAM plan work for Ex-TWA?

The fact is that the IAM allowed AMR to throw out the successorship clause in the TWA contract in exchange for back payments to the IAM plan. If the IAM had refused, they would have been held liable for the shortage if TWA liquidated and defaulted, which they threathened to do, so the IAM threw the members to the wolves in order to protect themselves.

The fact is look at Continental, where the company has gone BK several times and they have no union for ramp workers. Are they worse off than you? So if the worst thing that could happen is you end up non-union like Continental why not take the chance of going for a better union?

The fact is that the IAM has no intentions on changing a strategy that has failed the members because the decision makers remain unaffected. They took no paycuts, they lost no benifits, their pensions are safe and funded, so they see no reason to change, they do not care about you. If they did then they would reorganize the whole labor system and make it effective.

The Teamsters left the AFL-CIO as part of a coaltion of unions that recognized that labor is losing and something needs to be done, thats enough of a reason right there to dump the union you have now. If all the IAM can do is turn around and blame the members for the fact that the IAM failed to lead then its time to dump the IAM.

The Teamsters are in a position, if they so choose,to try and organize the whole industry into one union, kind of like how the whole industry belongs to the ATA. That's another reason to try for the Teamsters. Step back and look at what you have with the IAM and ask yourself if they have led you to a place where you expected to be. Then think of all the money you paid them and how they performed for you. Did you get a good deal? If not, if you are not earning what you expected then its time to fire them and get someone who at least will try to do better. Remember that your union is supposed to belong to you, not the other way around.

And didnt the IAM lose a third of their membership between the last two conventions?
How well did the IAM plan work for Ex-TWA?

The fact is that the IAM allowed AMR to throw out the successorship clause in the TWA contract in exchange for back payments to the IAM plan. If the IAM had refused, they would have been held liable for the shortage if TWA liquidated and defaulted, which they threathened to do, so the IAM threw the members to the wolves in order to protect themselves.

The fact is look at Continental, where the company has gone BK several times and they have no union for ramp workers. Are they worse off than you? So if the worst thing that could happen is you end up non-union like Continental why not take the chance of going for a better union?

The fact is that the IAM has no intentions on changing a strategy that has failed the members because the decision makers remain unaffected. They took no paycuts, they lost no benifits, their pensions are safe and funded, so they see no reason to change, they do not care about you. If they did then they would reorganize the whole labor system and make it effective.

Good insight :up:

The Teamsters left the AFL-CIO as part of a coaltion of unions that recognized that labor is losing and something needs to be done, thats enough of a reason right there to dump the union you have now. If all the IAM can do is turn around and blame the members for the fact that the IAM failed to lead then its time to dump the IAM.

The Teamsters are in a position, if they so choose,to try and organize the whole industry into one union, kind of like how the whole industry belongs to the ATA. That's another reason to try for the Teamsters. Step back and look at what you have with the IAM and ask yourself if they have led you to a place where you expected to be. Then think of all the money you paid them and how they performed for you. Did you get a good deal? If not, if you are not earning what you expected then its time to fire them and get someone who at least will try to do better. Remember that your union is supposed to belong to you, not the other way around.

They are in a good position to organize the industry, but they will fail as well as long as they continue to try to act as a 'legacy' union in their organizing tactics. Their push of 'their' DB plan without having a plan might be a good start. And recognizing their failures and how they will be addressed in the future might be another good selling point. I have not looked into all aspects of their constitution so I can not speak of it, but if one seriously considers a union (any union) then getting a copy of the constitution and reading it is mandatory.

B) UT

very wise. But hey, look at it like changing clothes. Makes you feel good for a bit, but then you realize it isn't working for you.... until you find one that fits.

Don't worry about finding one that fits. Once AA buys NW, you have the APFA to represent the f/a's at NW. It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.

[quote name='Nor'Easta' post='439418' date='Dec 19 2006, 06:14 AM']It's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when.[/quote]
Thats what the TWUs Jim Little said about AA filing for BK.