IBT vs IAM

Bob Owens

Veteran
Sep 9, 2002
Mechanics at USAIR are being given a choice.

Do they stay with the IAM, and settle for more of the same they have recieved or do they vote for change?

I have tried to discuss what we as workers can do to make things better for workers with the main IAM spokesperson on this site, 700UW, but for some reason he keeps avoiding the discussion. Instead he throws out broad generalizations such as "the membership needs to step up", or "the whole system is broken". At times he has even admitted that the leadership is screwed up but he will not address the fact that the whole system is flawed, and then, at the first opportunity he jumps away from the discussion.

The system is flawed because the way it is set up it puts workers in a race to the bottom. The unions each have their own members, in no coherant pattern. Fleet serivce clerks will be IAM in one airline, TWU in another and IBT in yet another. The same goes for mechanics and other ground workers. The unions do not compete for members through elections and proving what they can do for the members, instead they compete by trying to put the employer where they have the most members in a competitive position to put rivals out of business.

There is only one way for workers to put a stop to this. Take away the incentive for the unions to take part in this race to the bottom. Since gaining "market share" of members is the driving force behind it what we need to do is all get in one union.

The IAM is still in the AFL-CIO, therefore they will not raid the TWU at AA.

The IBT is out of the AFL-CIO, there is nothing stoping them from raiding.

So if we want to get everyone in the same union the IBT is the only choice available at this time.

We know that what we have does not work. What is the IAM offering you? Are they offering you anything different from what has put us all in the place we are now? NO! Instead you see them blaming YOU for everything. They took your money and did nothing for you then blamed you for what they failed to do.

Look how many times 700UW has blamed the membership for voting in this contract. Well when the membership rejected it in 2002 what did the IAM do? They made all sorts of threats and made you vote again on the same contract!!!!!!

THEN THEY SAY "THE MEMBERSHIP VOTED IT IN,ITS THE MEMBERSHIPS FAULT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Such arrogaqnce stems from the fact that these leaders know that the opportunity to hold them accountable rarely if ever comes, well you guys have the opportunity now-its called a representation vote.

The fact is that if you stay with the IAM things will never get better. The IAM has no plan, no strategy and they have found a convienient scapegoat for their ineptnesss -YOU!!!!!

The IAM is saying not to go to the Teamsters for one reason only-they still want your dues. However they dont want them bad enough to even come up with a stategy to fix our broken careers.

So what is it going to be? More leadership that refuses to lead and blames you for their failures while collecting their dues from your pay or the first step towards uniting the workers of this industry in one union-the IBT?

Look how many times 700UW has blamed the membership for voting in this contract. Well when the membership rejected it in 2002 what did the IAM do? They made all sorts of threats and made you vote again on the same contract!!!!!!
funny...i was there and i don't remember being threatened to vote again...i do remember a local lodge prez and an AGC were quite upset that the membership had been calling siegel and the union regarding the strike vote that had passed and how they didn't want to strike and never expected it to pass and now wanted to change their votes......

Are you claiming that after the mechanics voted NO that they were not given the same contract to vote on again?

Are you claiming that IAM reps did not go around broadcasting all the dire consequences should the members vote NO again?

It was all over these boards and the press.

Should the members decide to keep the IAM what will the IAM do differently? What strategy do they have both short and long term, other than collecting dues and giving themselves raises and perks that the members pay for but that they claim the members employers cant afford to provide the members?

Are you claiming that after the mechanics voted NO that they were not given the same contract to vote on again?
make no claims dude....you're the one flying off here
Are you claiming that IAM reps did not go around broadcasting all the dire consequences should the members vote NO again?
I thought it was threats?? now dire consequences??which is it??yes they informed the rank and file of the consequences...its the unions duty,you should know that

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Sisters and Brothers,

The air of uncertainty continues, this time it’s not wondering if the airline we work for can get a loan, come out of bankruptcy, have a merger approved, or a hundred other concerns we’ve all had regarding our survival and the survival of US Airways.

This time the uncertainty arises from an unexpected group! Not the company. Not some anti-labor law firm. Not the anti-labor Bush administration, but from the new IBT

Unfortunately the International Brotherhood of Teamsters (IBT) after splitting away from the AFL-CIO has taken to raiding former Allies in the Labor movement. Rather than trying to organize the 92% of working Americans that are non-union they have chosen to target you. Their latest move against the US Airways Mechanic and Related will again delay the transition agreement with the carrier that is necessary to bring back nearly 500 hundred of our furloughed Brothers and Sisters, give us a new and secure Defined Benefit Pension Plan, and maintain our contract that requires Heavy Maintenance and Scheduled Line Maintenance work to be done in-house not in El Salvador.

US Airways has until February 28th to supply the National Mediation Board (NMB) with the eligibility list and signatures they’ve requested. At this point there is no timetable of events that brings this to conclusion. So we must continue to work in an environment of uncertainty, continue to correct the half-truths and distortions the IBT supporters put out, and, continue to do our jobs in the professional manner that we have done through all the other adversities. I will continue to update you with bulletin board updates as any new information becomes available

In Solidarity,

Frank Schifano

President / Chairman

Local Lodge 1976

Delldude;I thought it was threats?? now dire consequences??which is it??

I guess you dont know the meaning of "dire consequences".

its the unions duty

Its also the unions duty to try and protect the members from getting raped. The IAM held them down and told them not to resist.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

In Solidarity,

Frank Schifano

President / Chairman

Local Lodge 1976

The thought of returning to the floor to work under the conditions he helped put in place obviously terrifies the man.

Any news on the card filing? 14 days from 2/13 for the announcement by the NMB? Did the unions get the extension they were asking for because of the PHL incident? Does that extend the 14 days from card filing too??

US Airways has until February 28th to supply the National Mediation Board (NMB) with the eligibility list and signatures they’ve requested. At this point there is no timetable of events that brings this to conclusion. So we must continue to work in an environment of uncertainty, continue to correct the half-truths and distortions the IBT supporters put out, and, continue to do our jobs in the professional manner that we have done through all the other adversities. I will continue to update you with bulletin board updates as any new information becomes available

In Solidarity,

Frank Schifano

President / Chairman

Local Lodge 1976
My Cat Would Cover This Sh!t Up!! :spam:

Frank is supposed to move up to an AGC later this year. All of you folks who voted for him and voted 'yes' on your contract got just what you voted for. So don't cry to anyone........and how is that working out for ya?

IAM = SCAB Union (You too can be a scab. Join the IAM)

There are no openings in DL 142 on US property for AGC.

There are only three, Giammarco, Frieberger and Ebert.

I guess you dont know the meaning of "dire consequences".
you're the one making accusations of them making threats...now you split hairs....ahh a spin doctor...now I see your agenda
Its also the unions duty to try and protect the members from getting raped. The IAM held them down and told them not to resist.
funny,I don't remember anyone holding me down and telling me to vote either way,dude..besides ace,I voted NO...so I guess IAM didn't do too good a job holding me down did they?
The thought of returning to the floor to work under the conditions he helped put in place obviously terrifies the man.
once again you appear to be full of something...baloney I guess.....the man is retiring next year I believe...

keep up the spin.....you could work for howie dean.