If NWA survives, it should be strong

Yes exactly like that one. Reading the actual log page to see what maintenance was performed is the best way to find out exactly what went wrong isn't it? With an aircraft number that will be relatively easy to find. As far as the mechanic that said he worked on the aircraft goes, well lets just say I have found him to be a bit less than a reliable source of information. Now as far as this disturbing a cable goes and the problem not showing up till rotation as you suggested is a crock.

A "crock"??? Hardly.

While you may attempt to disagree and dismiss my ideas on how it "could've" happened, I've seen that very thing occur on UAL B757s. I KNOW IT CAN HAPPEN. Is this what happened on the NWA B757? I don't really know, as I don't have access to NWA aircraft or records. You however have tried to dismiss even the plausibility of it happening and thats where you were/still are wrong.

On another note, I find it amusing that the mechanic you once based a large portion of your position on, you now find as "a bit less than a reliable source of information." <_<

My, my...violence at the workplace!!! Talk about grounds for termination!! All the bootlicking in the world will not save you!! Companies happen to take that and sexual harassment very seriously!!! :p

Of course when such egregious actions are found the real challenge is to bring the employee who is performing substandard work onto the learning curve. This ought to be the objective focus rather than making threats.

In the new NWA enviroment I hardly think that the "learning curve" noted above will be the focus. This is a feature that should concern everyone.

Your post is somewhat misleading on two parts.

1) You ask (in context)"would a union defend...." this is misleading insofar as it being a question. Unions don't have that choice. Until a grievance process has been exhausted, the union is the advocate. Just like lawyers MUST defend their clients a union must defend its members. The result for not performing this task/doing so in a sub standard manner usually results in a DFR lawsuit against the union.

2) you infer that unions keep people who should be fired from being fired. This is just another tired union cliche. I was in aviation for 22+ years. 18+ of that was in a union position at UAL, and I can assure you that all the pencil whippers at United that UAL could prove did so, were NOT saved by the union. Additionally, what I saw over the years at UAL was sloppy investigative work/preparation by the company. I know this will probably start a whole stream of responses but in my experience those that "should've been fired" weren't saved by what you refer to as "layers of of contractual legalese" but by ineptitude on the companies part. Case in point. I was involved with a case to terminate a mechanic who had one of the worst attendance problems I've ever seen, or heard about. This individual had received progressively intense discipline (all perfectly legal) from the company. If the company had continued along its already established course of his attendance problem, the union could've done nothing more than help him pack his tools. However, what happened in this case is an overzealous up-and-coming young supervisor just wanted to be rid of this individual(understandable)went and trumped up charges, the individual was walked off the property and held out of service for over 1 year as his termination hearings/appeals were heard. Now if the company had just stuck to his attendance issue, the mechanic was done, in this case though they used trumped up charges that the union(rather easily) proved false. So after a year out, the individual was returned to work with full back pay.

This is the type of story that many people tend to spin into unions stopping people from being fired who should be. For those of you nodding I'd caution you, be careful in that thinking. A thief may indeed be a criminal, but does that make it okay to charge him with murder unjustly??
Interesting view...I shall consider it carefully.

Latest posts