If this is all about DL employee's "overwhelming desire" to unionize...

Ch. 12

Veteran
Nov 24, 2002
...then why is every thread started and maintained by disgruntled employees of other carriers?! Are you getting bored on your own boards or just trying to be opportunistic?

No, it's called "not wanting your apathy to wind up costing me thousands of $$$ in increased medical costs and 2 weeks vacation annually, if not my job entirely."

That doesn't even start to touch on Scope/work rules, profit sharing, pension (or 401K), etc., etc.

The question you guys should be asking is why you're content to settle for so much less?

P.S. You're confusing "disgruntled" with "passionate."

No, it's called "not wanting your apathy to wind up costing me thousands of $$$ in increased medical costs and 2 weeks vacation annually, if not my job entirely."

That doesn't even start to touch on Scope/work rules, profit sharing, pension (or 401K), etc., etc.

The question you guys should be asking is why you're content to settle for so much less?

P.S. You're confusing "disgruntled" with "passionate."

Then get passionate at your own airline. DL employees are and have been doing just fine. The "apathy" has actually led to better compensation at DL and doesn't drag down the best employees by tieing them to the worst who are just looking for handouts w/o doing the work. DL employees are proud of the company and the high-quality work they do. They don't need to pay thousands of $$$ in union dues so that the union leadership can drive big cars while negotiating "parity" that will lower their standards.

Again...go get passionate about your own airline. Stop suiting up like a DL insider that is ready to revolt when all that you are is an outsider that is full of anymosity. If being in a union has worked so well for you, what are you worried about? Fact is...unions are like Wal-Mart...the only way for them to keep making $$$ is to keep expanding and you are at an inroads, aren't you? Take your ball and go home. DL is not even playing that game. I'm not sure why you showed up in the first place.

It's called desperation.
This is posted over on the American board concerning the MD80 groundings:

New here, I have been following your thread. I work for the big D. The same issues have been going through our maintenance department too.

Has any of your AMTs been "released" either temporarily or permanantly? We are having "in house" interviews with the AMTs that inspected and reworked the A/C on the 27th to see if they followed the AD to the letter.

Several have been temprorarily suspended. Our paperwork has change several times already, and the latest issue came up after a new inspector found the exsisting clip that the snap tube attaches to at the lower end is drawn upside down in the Fig. This went all the way to Boeing to get it figured out.

Very Concerned here how this is being handled.
Good reason to have union representation!

Then get passionate at your own airline. DL employees are and have been doing just fine. The "apathy" has actually led to better compensation at DL and doesn't drag down the best employees by tieing them to the worst who are just looking for handouts w/o doing the work. DL employees are proud of the company and the high-quality work they do. They don't need to pay thousands of $$$ in union dues so that the union leadership can drive big cars while negotiating "parity" that will lower their standards.

Again...go get passionate about your own airline. Stop suiting up like a DL insider that is ready to revolt when all that you are is an outsider that is full of anymosity. If being in a union has worked so well for you, what are you worried about? Fact is...unions are like Wal-Mart...the only way for them to keep making $$$ is to keep expanding and you are at an inroads, aren't you? Take your ball and go home. DL is not even playing that game. I'm not sure why you showed up in the first place.
Just wanted to chime in and let you know that this is our new home and we aren't going anywhere till this merger go through or dies for good. If we are to merge with the kool-aid kids we must first understand the kool-aid kids. I am here to learn more about what makes the people of DL tick. Soon you will get to see what makes us tick at NW when we merge. The union will then be voted in and we can listen to you whine under the managers desks about the big, bad red tailers taking over.

I don't know what crayon book you've been reading, but outside of Delta pilots (the ONLY Union on the property) Delta employees are the LOWEST compensated (hence "lowest cost") of ALL legacies.

Now you go argue that with Delta...as that is their favorite bragging "Song", pun intended!

As for you telling "others" to mind their own business, THIS is their business. Delta's payscale has a DIRECT impact upon all of it's competitors, period. So what happens at Delta is VERY relevant to others.

I don't know what crayon book you've been reading, but outside of Delta pilots (the ONLY Union on the property) Delta employees are the LOWEST compensated (hence "lowest cost") of ALL legacies.

Now you go argue that with Delta...as that is their favorite bragging "Song", pun intended!

As for you telling "others" to mind their own business, THIS is their business. Delta's payscale has a DIRECT impact upon all of it's competitors, period. So what happens at Delta is VERY relevant to others.

...and we still dont want your union. :up:

I've got an idea...why not go try to make $$ based on the merit of your work rather than artifical inflations? Or are you afraid you'd take a pay cut? The people of DL are quite happy despite your insults...DL people are intelligent-enough to know their compensation and whether they are taking it in the shorts or not. And best of all...DL people aren't a desperate bunch of whiners trying to force change on everyone else just b/c joining the Mickey Mouse club meant something to them. Let me ask you...if DL people need union representation and you have it...why are you the miserable one and DL people content with what they do? I guess every DL person must be stupid in your eyes. But stupidity, to me, is joining a group in which you continue to be miserable and are apparently unknowingly in the game of feeding your union leadership with fat paychecks. If DL people are stupid and that is why they are happy, then call me stupid and happy. Better than being hyper-intelligent as you and miserable.

I've got an idea...why not go try to make $$ based on the merit of your work rather than artifical inflations? Or are you afraid you'd take a pay cut? The people of DL are quite happy despite your insults...DL people are intelligent-enough to know their compensation and whether they are taking it in the shorts or not. And best of all...DL people aren't a desperate bunch of whiners trying to force change on everyone else just b/c joining the Mickey Mouse club meant something to them. Let me ask you...if DL people need union representation and you have it...why are you the miserable one and DL people content with what they do? I guess every DL person must be stupid in your eyes. But stupidity, to me, is joining a group in which you continue to be miserable and are apparently unknowingly in the game of feeding your union leadership with fat paychecks. If DL people are stupid and that is why they are happy, then call me stupid and happy. Better than being hyper-intelligent as you and miserable.

No your not very smart is all. Not to long ago, USAir was going to buy you guys out and you thought it was going to drag your airline down. Now its Delta and NWA's psycho management team trying to force this abortion down our throats. Why would I want NWA to merge with Delta, just so I can watch my benefits and 19 years of service go down the drain. Keep Northwest My Northwest and you can keep your Delta yours.

That would be great if NON UNON Delta didn't use Union pay scales and work rules for comparison. Then we could really see how high your wages and work rules would rise 'based on merit' just like pre-1930's America.

No, Delta people are not stupid, that's why the know that the days of the "Delta family" based on those old dusty slow southern days...are long gone. And seeing how Delta will possible be merging with a HIGHLY Unionized carrier, who isn't about to give up their job protections, I'd say Delta people are VERY smart to prepare for change and Unionization. The South has historically been anti-Union...it goes with the undeniable Slave/Master history of it's DNA. Well, Delta may be HQ in the South, but it is far from the dixie company it once was.

I'd rather take my chance with "feeding union leadership" than management and corporate America (who'd just as soon treat you like the Slaves in China). You actually think we live in a society where American corporations care about you or your merit. You and every other American worker is just a means to an end to them, and if you don't believe that, then you are in deep denial of reality. You mean no more to them than a Slave in China means to Americans who enjoy there cheap products from Wal Mart, while they work 16 hour days, with 20 minute breaks and live in dorms like Slave houses, with a "reward" of $10 dollars a week.

p.s. "WE"...are FAR from being miserable, in fact, WE are so happy, we aren't interested in merging. We, will have a say in what happens, not told to go sit down with the kids and shut up. We, had to be FORCED by crooked judges to be taken advantage of...what is your excuse for being the lowest paid?

Let's be VERY CLEAR about something, Don't put words in my mouth. I have NEVER insulted Delta employees based on their abilities to professionally run an airline, and never will. Delta employees are just as professional, intelligent as any other group of airline employees. In fact, I think they are some of the best in the entire industry. So, go peddle your divisive crap some place else.

That would be great if NON UNON Delta didn't use Union pay scales and work rules for comparison. Then we could really see how high your wages and work rules would rise 'based on merit' just like pre-1930's America.

No, Delta people are not stupid, that's why the know that the days of the "Delta family" based on those old dusty slow southern days...are long gone. And seeing how Delta will possible be merging with a HIGHLY Unionized carrier, who isn't about to give up their job protections, I'd say Delta people are VERY smart to prepare for change and Unionization. The South has historically been anti-Union...it goes with the undeniable Slave/Master history of it's DNA. Well, Delta may be HQ in the South, but it is far from the dixie company it once was.

I'd rather take my chance with "feeding union leadership" than management and corporate America (who'd just as soon treat you like the Slaves in China). You actually think we live in a society where American corporations care about you or your merit. You and every other American worker is just a means to an end to them, and if you don't believe that, then you are in deep denial of reality. You mean no more to them than a Slave in China means to Americans who enjoy there cheap products from Wal Mart, while they work 16 hour days, with 20 minute breaks and live in dorms like Slave houses, with a "reward" of $10 dollars a week.

p.s. "WE"...are FAR from being miserable, in fact, WE are so happy, we aren't interested in merging. We, will have a say in what happens, not told to go sit down with the kids and shut up. We, had to be FORCED by crooked judges to be taken advantage of...what is your excuse for being the lowest paid?

Let's be VERY CLEAR about something, Don't put words in my mouth. I have NEVER insulted Delta employees based on their abilities to professionally run an airline, and never will. Delta employees are just as professional, intelligent as any other group of airline employees. In fact, I think they are some of the best in the entire industry. So, go peddle your divisive crap some place else.

AMEN BROTHER!
Small, non-union hold-outs in this industry (like DELTA) are free loaders reaping union benefits while avoiding dues. They have been enjoying it for YEARS. I hope NW unions realize this when they start merging the non-union scabs with the dues paying loyal members.

EXCELLENT post, NxNW ! As a long-time (non ATL- based) DL employee I urge the ATL people to remember what Richard Anderson said in some of his interviews when he first came to Delta and that was DL cannot afford to have just an Atlanta-centric/regional route structure. Atlanta is important, yes ,but to be competitive and world-class it's time to branch out (and not just out of NY).
For those of you who are content living in Hapeville, East Point, College Park and South Atlanta where the land is cheap and you're fat and happy w/ your industry STANDARD (not leading) pay, fine...but don't speak for the thousands of us who are based in much more expensive cities than ATL (and don't tell me we choose to live here--if none of us did, the airline would have to shut down). While we are proud to be part of Delta, we know there is always room for improvement. And we also know that what we enjoy now is partially because of what unionized work forces have negotiated at other airlines. There is nothing wrong with always trying to improve your working conditions. That's the American way. And finally, for the Widget Cultists...do you read the newspaper? Do you know where oil is hovering? Does that mean anything to you? Are you not concerned about your futre at all? Are you really willing to put ALL of your trust in big business? If so, then yes...you do come off as stupid. I'm not saying you are. I'm just saying that would be the perception.
And NW people, don't pay attention to some of these people here, many of us are glad to have you. As long as there is mutual respect, we will be fine.

Then get passionate at your own airline.

I am. I know you're on here enough to have read my many posts about "keeping NW my NW." Having said that, DL WILL be my own airline soon enough.

DL employees are and have been doing just fine. The "apathy" has actually led to better compensation at DL...

No, unions at other carriers have risen the tide that's lifted your boat. Fact is, for years DL raised your pay just enough to beat out any organizing drives. You can thank all the union brothers and sisters across the industry for what you've enjoyed.

As for "better" compensation, there is no getting around the fact that for ramp service a NW person comes out WAY ahead of his/her DL counterpart. Your hourly wage is nominally more, but you pay thousands more in medical annually. Don't believe me? Look it up.

and doesn't drag down the best employees by tieing them to the worst who are just looking for handouts w/o doing the work.

I'm not looking for a handout, I just want to keep what I worked (yes, worked) so hard for. You also seem to have lost sight of the fact that it's the company that does any hiring/firing, not the union.

[
DL employees are proud of the company and the high-quality work they do.

Good for you. You should be! NW employees are just as proud of what we do.

They don't need to pay thousands of $$$ in union dues

But it's okay to pay "thousands" more in increased benefit costs? By the way, you need to either read up on union dues a little more, or revisit your multiplication tables. The "average" is 2 hours of pay/monthly. This is almost exactly what I pay, by the way ($41.00/Monthly).

Stop suiting up like a DL insider that is ready to revolt when all that you are is an outsider that is full of anymosity.

Pot calling kettle black? Your post is one of an "outsider" who has no idea of facts, and is trying to do nothing more than stir the pot.

If being in a union has worked so well for you, what are you worried about?

See post #3 in this thread.

... Take your ball and go home.

I am home. It's DL that came over to my court.

DL is not even playing that game.

I assure you they are.

I'm not sure why you showed up in the first place.

To respond to your eristic post.