If Us Airways Goes ..

Status
Not open for further replies.

downline7

Jan 6, 2004
Yorktown Hts., NY
Visit site
Considering the forecast that US Airways will liquidate within a year, what do you think jetBlue's plan is in terms of recovering the lost service?

DN has often said that he doesnt wish for USA to go out of business and that if they do we might not be able to accomodate the lack of service because we dont have the planes to support all the new service that would be available.

However I cant help but think that somewhere in Forest Hills someone has a Master Plan. They're a huge airline, and in case they do go out of business, thats a lot of routes and service that would need to be picked up. So I wonder what jetBlue's role will be if and when the times does come.

Any thoughts?

downline7 said:
Considering the forecast that US Airways will liquidate within a year, what do you think jetBlue's plan is in terms of recovering the lost service?

DN has often said that he doesnt wish for USA to go out of business and that if they do we might not be able to accomodate the lack of service because we dont have the planes to support all the new service that would be available.

However I cant help but think that somewhere in Forest Hills someone has a Master Plan. They're a huge airline, and in case they do go out of business, thats a lot of routes and service that would need to be picked up. So I wonder what jetBlue's role will be if and when the times does come.

Any thoughts?
[post="169763"][/post]​

I think WN has major plans in place.

Based on my back of the envelope estimates, here are a few very high-fare markets out of Pittsburgh where a LCC could do well if US Airways suspended operations.

The columns are Destination, Annual Paid Enplanements (each direction) based on 3rd Q daily*365, Potential enplanements with low fares (assuming $55+.06 mile):

New York City: 172,000 570,000
Philadelphia 84,000 310,000
BOS, PVD, MHT 122,000 350,000
DCA, IAD, BWI 42,000 190,000

For other major high- fare markets the LCC would have to compete with NW (Minneapolis), AA (DFW), CO (Houston). As of 3rd Q 2003, fares to major west coast destinations were reasonably priced. Airtran and ATA are in the Atlanta and Chicago markets respectively.

By the way, I really, really hope that US Airways stays in business and is the airline to take advantage of the potential market growth.

There would be a lot of A320s and A319s available. I know that it would take time, but they could be converted to B6 a/c in a matter of weeks. There would be a lot of unemployed pilots also. If US goes under, and I hope they don't, I believe all airlines would add flights on the East Coast. Remember that UA, CO, DL, NW, and AA all have planes that are parked that could be online inside of 2 weeks. Just my thoughts........

downline7 said:
we dont have the planes to support all the new service that would be available.
[post="169763"][/post]​

BINGO!
coolflyingfool,

JB will not be able to just buy US's A320 and A319 a/c and change them in a couple of weeks. JB doesn't have the manpower to do it and they don't have the funds to buy them.

Liveinahotel said, "JB will not be able to just buy US's A320 and A319 a/c and change them in a couple of weeks. JB doesn't have the manpower to do it and they don't have the funds to buy them."

I am not saying that they will buy all of them or even most. I am saying B6 could pick up the leases on say 15 to 20 of them and bring them in over a 3 month period. There are plenty of outside vendors and Airbus that will help with the conversions. Just my thoughts.........

Lets say that did happen ... think jB would take any 170's (since we're getting the 190's anyway!)

coolflyingfool said:
Liveinahotel said, "JB will not be able to just buy US's A320 and A319 a/c and change them in a couple of weeks. JB doesn't have the manpower to do it and they don't have the funds to buy them."

I am not saying that they will buy all of them or even most. I am saying B6 could pick up the leases on say 15 to 20 of them and bring them in over a 3 month period. There are plenty of outside vendors and Airbus that will help with the conversions. Just my thoughts.........
[post="169990"][/post]​

When US Airways goes Tango Uniform, where will jetBlue get its parts from? Who does it have Airbus parts agreements with? Airbus parts are like Hyundai parts: sell the vehicle, promise the support.

TDR1502C said:
When US Airways goes Tango Uniform, where will jetBlue get its parts from? Who does it have Airbus parts agreements with? Airbus parts are like Hyundai parts: sell the vehicle, promise the support.
[post="170074"][/post]​

Airbus,UAL, AWE, AC, NWA, FRNT, USA3000, Independence, etc. Most airlines share, lease parts supplies!

Alot of good people will follow others before them and become unemployed.
nothing more nothing less. i wish all them the absolute best during what must be the most difficult times in not only the 60 year history of it but probably the worst times in each employees career as well.

:unsure:

TDR1502C said:
[post="170074"][/post]​
.......Sounds like you're 100% sure US Airways is going "Tango Uniform"..Since I do not have access to a crystal ball or have the gift of prophecy, I will have to wait and see how it plays out...

Dizel8 said:
Airbus,UAL, AWE, AC, NWA, FRNT, USA3000, Independence, etc. Most airlines share, lease parts supplies!
[post="170080"][/post]​
They share part supplies because it's profitiable to do so. If it's a repairable item you pay a certain percentage of a parts cost every day.

Also, there are subtle differences in parts depending on a vendor or how it was ordered. For example your part may be drilled if it's a flight surface item and theirs may not be. If it's a hydraulic part yours may have a fitting the other's doesn't. If it's a connector it may come with pins needed or it may not. So you don't really know what you are going get even though it may cross as a match in you're database.

IMHO, having had to deal with borrowed, and loaned parts and the problems they cause, using your own parts makes the world of difference.

coolflyingfool said:
There would be a lot of A320s and A319s available. I know that it would take time, but they could be converted to B6 a/c in a matter of weeks. There would be a lot of unemployed pilots also. If US goes under, and I hope they don't, I believe all airlines would add flights on the East Coast. Remember that UA, CO, DL, NW, and AA all have planes that are parked that could be online inside of 2 weeks. Just my thoughts........
[post="169954"][/post]​

The airlines don’t have as many aircraft’s parked as you think. And please don’t start counting all the aircrafts that are in the desert. They still might have some airlines paint residue on its skin but they don’t belong to them and most of them are on the way to be gutted out or have been gutted out.

AA MD82/83 18
F100 11

CO MD81/82/83 17
B737-300 2

DL MD11 13
B737-200adv/Hush 2
L1011 27

NW A320 4
DC9 13
DC10-40 2
B727 22
B747-200 11
B747-300 2
B757 4

UA B727-200adv Hush 23
B737-300 9
B747-200 1
B747-400 12
B767 7
B777 4

USAirways' & JetBlue's Airbus 320s have different engines and, for all I know, much different cockpit setups (avionics, etc). So "converting" them wouldn't be as easy as one might think.

Status
Not open for further replies.