If Us Airways Goes ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Winglet said:
Hmmm . . . . . my American car has a Nippon Denso alternator and starter and Mitsubishi engine. I've replaced that alternator 3 times and the starter once in the last 15 years. Those are the only parts I've had to replace and they're Japanese. The Mitsubishi engine has 100k miles on it and is starting to smoke at start up and have piston slap. I had a European made BMW back in the mid-80s that had a leaky gas tank, bad muffler, and a cracked head within 6 months of taking delivery.

I had the pleasure of talking to a manager of a Japanese-owned parts plant last year. He informed me that, yes, both U.S. and Japanese manufacturers purchase parts from his plant. BUT, parts are made to varying quality standards. The U.S. manufacturers pay less and require a much lower standard than do the Japanese manufacturers.

Never had a problem with any of my 4 Lexus' or 6 Hondas. My Ford Expedition was a piece of junk. It drove crooked and several accessory motors burned out within the first year. We ran out of gas three times with over 1/4 tank showing on the gauge(a recall was subsequently issued). We complained about the quality of the product and Ford told us to pound sand.

We're done buying domestic autos.TC

balloonguy said:
It's a mix of Unions and inept management!! The Unions killed Eastern!! Look at the american automobile manufacturers. All highly "union" and putting out inferior products. The Big 3 are continuing to struggle financially. Look at all of the incentives that they have to offer to even get someone in the showroom. Now, look at Honda, etc. NO UNIONS, highest quality and resale values, no pricing incentives and very little discounting, etc. That pretty much says it all. The unions are a problem in the airline industry. What are they doing for you?? Do they continue to pay you your wages when you get furloughed?? I don't think so!!
[post="205222"][/post]​

Sir, Frank Lorenzo killed EAL!
Blame the unions for the incompetence of management.

SWA,one of the few profitable airlines operating,has the highest % of unionized workforce in the airline business.
The majority of airline customers agree that they provide the service promised and have very courteous employees.

AA717driver said:
I had the pleasure of talking to a manager of a Japanese-owned parts plant last year. He informed me that, yes, both U.S. and Japanese manufacturers purchase parts from his plant. BUT, parts are made to varying quality standards. The U.S. manufacturers pay less and require a much lower standard than do the Japanese manufacturers.

Never had a problem with any of my 4 Lexus' or 6 Hondas. My Ford Expedition was a piece of junk. It drove crooked and several accessory motors burned out within the first year. We ran out of gas three times with over 1/4 tank showing on the gauge(a recall was subsequently issued). We complained about the quality of the product and Ford told us to pound sand.

We're done buying domestic autos.TC
[post="233527"][/post]​

I'm on my 2nd Honda Accord built at Marysville,Ohio and they both have been very good cars but not perfect.
Just very recently we had to replace the Altenator on our 2000 Accord EX.They are not cheap! I still like the car and up to this point it has only been to dealer twice for problems in 4.5 years[EGR Valve and Altenator]

USAIRWAYS is going no where, by 2007 we will have 150 rj at PSA, 150 erj at MA, and mainline with cost cutting in placed. they will fly 200 large A/C. I think we will be the last one standing.

Have any more "sure thing" words of wisdom ? ;)

It's interesting seeing these old threads and their "take it to the bank" prophecies revived.

This is the one I loved most (note the date is only about 10 months ago):

It appears as if the tipping point has been reached at US Airways. I would expect the airline to announce chapter 7 status within the next 30 days...or much sooner.

I am sure jetBlue executives would like to see US Airways remain a going concern throughout all of 2005, if for nothing more than to keep the other wolves at bay until they themselves can seize on new markets opened up by US Airways demise at a later time in 2006 or beyond. It now appears that jetBlue will be forced to watch from the sidelines as other airlines (DL & WN primarily) try and fill in the vacuum left behind when US Airways folds the tent in the very near future. The only good thing is that perhaps some markets in the east will see improved pricing power with the short-term drop in capacity in Florida - NYC and other NE markets where jetBlue and US Airways overlap.

But don't get me wrong. Ten months ago I pretty much agreed with much of Daedalus' post. It never ceases to amaze me how much this industry is such an incredible crap shoot which depends on actual operations that must be, by design, almost flawlessly stable and safe.

This thread needs to stay OPEN, It's amusing to go back in time and see some of the "sure thing" prophecies go unfulfilled.. :D

How ironic that "First Amendment" is the one asking for censorship. Shocking.

I asked for no censorship. Its just outdated and needs to be closed or started as a new topic as our fine moderators have suggested when these things have happened in the past.

You know, you seem to have a problem with me. I don't know what it is and I could careless, but cut the crap. Not once do you approach anything I say with any since of professionalism or respect, so if you like not what I say or who I am...or whatever the hell your ax to grind is, kindly place me on your ignore button.

BTW, I have MANY time tried to change my screen name because most do not even know why I placed it as is in the first place. It had to do with the picking, choosing, and favortism to some posters, not letting everyone express themselves.

It's because of a$$wholes like you who rub it in my nose every moment you can leads me to believe that you are somehow involved with some freaky affair with the moderators,..who seem to get great pleasure in this (especially Bill) or the screenname request would had been honored loooong ago.

I'm more inclined to think that you are a typical trouble making forum junkie who has made up his/her mind about someone and wants to be a jerk.

Status
Not open for further replies.