In sourcing ground handling

1st time poster. Long time reader. My question is what's going to happen at ORD? Aramark ground handles Delta Air Lines and Northwest has their own employees. Word on the street at ORD is that Delta is moving to the E concourse at terminal 2. So is Northwest taking over the combined operation?
That has been the talk. DL has said that if mainline is in the station, NW or DL, they will handle things. That would appear to be the case in ORD. I don't believe half of what they say because if you talk to say a Comair manager, he is telling his people the opposite. Go figure. I think that they want to keep all of their option on the table and/or keep everyone working till they are ready to swing the axe. Till then we sit and wait with no action from any side.

Much nicer than I wanted to put it. Way to build that bridge and spread that DL love.

I'm all about synergy... :lol:

1st time poster. Long time reader. My question is what's going to happen at ORD? Aramark ground handles Delta Air Lines and Northwest has their own employees. Word on the street at ORD is that Delta is moving to the E concourse at terminal 2. So is Northwest taking over the combined operation?

There's two separate questions here; where will the combined ops be, and who'll work what:

1. I've have also heard that DL is coming over to E.

2. As mentioned, if there's M/L staffing, then they'll take over. In ORD's case, that means NW ramp taking over for both.

That has been the talk. DL has said that if mainline is in the station, NW or DL, they will handle things. That would appear to be the case in ORD. I don't believe half of what they say because if you talk to say a Comair manager, he is telling his people the opposite. Go figure. I think that they want to keep all of their option on the table and/or keep everyone working till they are ready to swing the axe. Till then we sit and wait with no action from any side.

Nothing like a massive misinformation campaign to keep everything in flux. I sure hope this isn't going to be the norm going forward. :angry:

I sure hope this isn't going to be the norm going forward. :angry:
It is...along with "we're working on it", "it's on our plate", "further analysis is needed", "I'm going to have to refer you to", "a grass roots approach is required", "let me get back to you on that", etc.

skeleton.gif

Any word on the cities where DL AND NW have mainline ops (above and below wing)

I haven't heard anything about that yet. There are some cities who have both of the carriers having mainline ops, and how are they going to staff it, and if the carriers are moving gates closer together to consolidate ops.

I know that here in EWR, NW and DL have both mainline ops, and they have the whole B1 concourse to themselves (I think about 9 to 11 gates between the both), so consolidating their gates is not a problem. But I haven't heard how are they are doing the staffing. I talked to my nephew (who is still working for DL on Ready Reserve), and he hasn't heard anything. I haven't got to talk to anybody I know on the NW side. But I guess everybody wants to know the staffing situation at combined M/L stations also.

Any word on the cities where DL AND NW have mainline ops (above and below wing)

I haven't heard anything about that yet. There are some cities who have both of the carriers having mainline ops, and how are they going to staff it, and if the carriers are moving gates closer together to consolidate ops.

On the question of consolidating facilities:

That's supposed to be happening fairly quickly (at least in my opinion). I haven't heard anything about EWR, but MCO kicks things off (for cities that are both M/L) on the 28th, with more coming over the next several months.

Separate from that is the issue of combining workforces:

In the short term, not much will change. Even though the gates/ticket counters/bagrooms might be together, employees from each carrier will continue to only work their respective carrier's flights.

The actual integration of the workforces is a long way off yet, and is contingent on many factors, not the least of which is deciding the representational issues..

Do you not see the role vendors-and employees that are willing to work for them- play in that?

The only roll we play is, that we need work just like you. Some of us dont care about Flight Benifits or try to milk our company. We love what we do and will do it however we can do it....

If not mainline, then "keeping it in the family" is absolutely the next best option.

Thats makes perfect sense

I haven't heard anything close to that, though in my station (NW mainline) the plan is to take over Comair's operation.

I have actually heard the same thing multiple times about the NWA vendor operation in MIA...

We just started this Contract in JULY08. with that said..........
Not sure what u heard or from what ill-informed source you got it from but our Numbers speak for themselfs when it comes to On-time, Safety and Overall coustemer satisfaction...

I dont want this thread to turn into VENDOR Bashing, that another Thread but I will not allow anyone to speak on assumtions. I can do anything a MAINLINE worker can...Oh yes, cheaper and faster..

Good Day!

On the question of consolidating facilities:

That's supposed to be happening fairly quickly (at least in my opinion). I haven't heard anything about EWR, but MCO kicks things off (for cities that are both M/L) on the 28th, with more coming over the next several months.

In the short term, not much will change. Even though the gates/ticket counters/bagrooms might be together, employees from each carrier will continue to only work their respective carrier's flights.

The actual integration of the workforces is a long way off yet, and is contingent on many factors, not the least of which is deciding the representational issues..
Northwest Airlines Fll station was set to move to Delta's terminal in March, but they've pushed it back to April.

These two sentences don't seem to go together. Are you sure the Delta worker will be allowed to work that closely with the NW worker or do you think they will wait until the "representational issues" are solved?

Not sure what u heard or from what ill-informed source you got it from but our Numbers speak for themselfs when it comes to On-time, Safety and Overall coustemer satisfaction...

I dont want this thread to turn into VENDOR Bashing, that another Thread but I will not allow anyone to speak on assumtions. I can do anything a MAINLINE worker can...Oh yes, cheaper and faster..

Good Day!

Misspelling and grammar aside; you can't in one paragraph say you don't want vendor bashing then say "I can do anything a MAINLINE worker can...Oh yes, cheaper and faster.. " :blink:

So tell me what makes you proud of this and why? :blink:

Good Day!

My "ill informed" sources include the following:

* Someone I know who was on the transition team
* Statistics from WorldFlight, and the YAG
* Seeing firsthand some of the "wonderful" things vendors do (including MIA), that the rest of us have to pay for.
* Anecdotal stories from Inflight friends who have flown through there

You say you don't want to turn this into a vendor vs. main line thread, but your comment about being faster and cheaper is sure to do that (BTW, your claim is rather weak when compared to system-wide stats).

If it's now a new vendor, great, but it doesn't change the fact that MIA has not been one of the smoother run stations. Furthermore, you shouldn't expect a lot of empathy on here from folks who saw you replace their friends/coworkers.

I'm also still waiting for answer on wether (sp?) or not you see how vendors-and you as an employee of same- play a role in the continuing outsourcing of aviation jobs.

P.S. If you want a M/L job so bad, why not try AA at MIA? If that's not an option, what about some of the carriers at FLL (eg. NW, DL, WN, AA) or PBI?

These two sentences don't seem to go together. Are you sure the Delta worker will be allowed to work that closely with the NW worker or do you think they will wait until the "representational issues" are solved?

By closely, I mean "adjacent or shared facilities." The respective counters or gates may be right next to each other, but not "one."

NW people will only work NW flights & DL people will only work their own for the near to medium term...

By closely, I mean "adjacent or shared facilities." The respective counters or gates may be right next to each other, but not "one."

NW people will only work NW flights & DL people will only work their own for the near to medium term...

I knew what you meant, do you suppose Boss Hog will be standing there with his shot gun deterring any communication between the two separate but same company workers until after the representational issues are solved? :ph34r:

I knew what you meant, do you suppose Boss Hog will be standing there with his shot gun deterring any communication between the two separate but same company workers until after the representational issues are solved? :ph34r:

Oh, I'm sure there'll be plenty of talking...

What'll be interesting is the first time someone from DL comes over to actually work a NW flight, or vice versa...

Misspelling and grammar aside; you can't in one paragraph say you don't want vendor bashing then say "I can do anything a MAINLINE worker can...Oh yes, cheaper and faster.. " :blink:

So tell me what makes you proud of this and why? :blink:

That comment was made to get a bit of a rise out of some you folks...Maybe not the best time for that comment and I will happily retract it... <_<

As far as pride goes, Yes, I’m proud of the things that can I do and more proud of the things I know I will do in the future. Why I won’t work for AA in MIA or any other Large Airline? The Money and the Job Security, Sorry guys, but I'm not as worried about my job as other M/L workers might be these days, Sad but True.... The only thing I envy from M/L workers, is the TRUE PRIDE that they have in their (YOUR) Airline.

Why I won’t work for AA in MIA or any other Large Airline? The Money and the Job Security, Sorry guys, but I'm not as worried about my job as other M/L workers might be these days, Sad but True.... The only thing I envy from M/L workers, is the TRUE PRIDE that they have in their (YOUR) Airline.

So again, I ask: do you or do you not realize the role that vendors-and their workers play in that?

Latest posts