In sourcing ground handling

We just started this Contract in JULY08. with that said..........
Not sure what u heard or from what ill-informed source you got it from but our Numbers speak for themselfs when it comes to On-time, Safety and Overall coustemer satisfaction...

I dont want this thread to turn into VENDOR Bashing, that another Thread but I will not allow anyone to speak on assumtions. I can do anything a MAINLINE worker can...Oh yes, cheaper and faster..

Good Day!

I know that vendors have their place in the airline business. Since I am in a hub (EWR), we have a lot of international carriers, and they use vendors, like Signature; World Flight; & Omni-Serv (above wing). I know that they are used to handle all of those wide-bodied flights from carriers like EVA Air; Singapore; Lufthansa; LOT Polish; British Airways; Air India; EL-AL; Virgin Atlantic; Swiss; Qatar; Air Canada; WestJet; and SAS. (I think that Delta ML handles the Air France flights & Northwest ML handles the KLM flights). So we have a variety of International carriers and there is work needed to be done to handle all of these flights. All wide-bodies, I might add. Some vendors pay better - some worse. And I also think that these are competent people who get the job done safely and on-time. But if you work for a vendor, you should be treated and paid fairly. (I'm pretty sure that these guys are paid decently since they handle the majority of International flights. (except DGS - I think they handle the Air Canada flights)

As far as the network carriers goes, everybody here is mainline, except of course Alaska and AirTran.
This is where your major turn-over starts. Some of these guys are paid like crap, and you can see it in their work when unloading a flight coming from an outstation that is outsourced by a poor vendor.

If you are a good worker, never sell yourself short that you can do the job faster and cheaper!
Someone might hold you to that one........ :blink:

I've been thinking about this one, and wanted to ask anyone who works for a large ground handling outfit.
What are your flight benefits, and how does that work? Since larger outfits handle international airline flights (not the domestic ones), do the ground handling employees have arrangements with the airlines they have contracts for? I don't know anyone that works for someone like Signature; World Flight; Menzies; OmniServ; etc., so I wanted to know how that works. Also on the domestic side, do out of network ground handling outfits (ie: DGS doing a UA or a CO flight) get flight benefits on the carriers they are contracted for, too? I figure that Comair; Pinnacle or Mesaba can fly on DL (and NW), but what about any other carrier they may have a contract with. I never really thought about that one........

I can only speak for South Florida Region. The contract Companies that work this area get nothing... No Flight Benefits or even discounts to fly on any of the airlines that they service. Comair however does get fly benefits with DL , not sure if they have already put something in place with NW. I heard that they get F/C Priority on DL flights, not sure if that’s totally correct.

I know that sounds a bit harsh :down: but folks around here don’t really care much about travel Benefits. Don’t take me wrong it would be great but it’s just not a really big deal for contract employees. For the most part they are happy with the starting Salary and as long as they can clock OT, all is well...........

I've been thinking about this one, and wanted to ask anyone who works for a large ground handling outfit.
What are your flight benefits, and how does that work? Since larger outfits handle international airline flights (not the domestic ones), do the ground handling employees have arrangements with the airlines they have contracts for? I don't know anyone that works for someone like Signature; World Flight; Menzies; OmniServ; etc., so I wanted to know how that works. Also on the domestic side, do out of network ground handling outfits (ie: DGS doing a UA or a CO flight) get flight benefits on the carriers they are contracted for, too? I figure that Comair; Pinnacle or Mesaba can fly on DL (and NW), but what about any other carrier they may have a contract with. I never really thought about that one........
Pinnacle can not fly free of charge on DL as of now. Don't ask why, but DL and OH can fly free on them...totally messed up. :down:

Pinnacle can not fly free of charge on DL as of now. Don't ask why, but DL and OH can fly free on them...totally messed up. :down:
mind you this is just my opinion/question.

to me, if a company is a subsidiary and 100 percent owned by the parent company, those employees at the subsidiary should be able to travel on each other fee waived. now if a company is independent and only has an agreement with another company those employees should still have a benefit but it should not be "free" as if they were actually employed at mainline or a 100 percent owned subsidiary.

now this is my question? today...is Pinnacle 100 percent owned by the parent company as a subsidiary or are they a totally independent company who has an agreement?

Nothing against vendors but I don't understand how u can put up with the harsh conditions of working on the ramp with no kind of benefits. I am a fleet service clerk for American Airlines at ORD and I know that the only thing keeping me there is the health, CS and flight benefits. It gets extremely cold here in the wintertime and I couldn't imagine working for AA with no benefits. There are jobs out there that pay what these vendors pay and you don't have to put up with these adverse weather conditions. I think there is a poster who said that he is glad to do the work for less and no benefits but honestly, can you really say that you wouldn't like the non-rev benefits. It's like working for Best Buy and not wanting to get discounts of electronics or working for Footlocker and not getting discounts off shoes. I understand the aspect of "a job is a job" but to say you don't care about the benefits is just pure bull. And on another note, this attitude of some vendors "work more for less" is exactly what the airlines want to hear. Pretty soon, AA and others will tell it to it's own employees.

As far as me, It's really is only a job. but I love what I do. I wish that i had flight Benefits but since in never had it I don’t care too much for it.... 90% of the Vendor work force would like to be able to work for a MAJOR Airline, but job security is a BIG Issue. I read some of the post by some folks here that have over 15yrs in seniority and they are worried about being laid off due to downsizing or budget cuts... yes. yes, Vendors do play a BIG Roll in that.... We do it cheaper and faster... got it...

I didn't invent Subcontracting. it just the safer choice for me..... I have said before. If I could go an work for a Major Airline that would be able to offer me Job Security depending on my performance, I would switch in a Heart Beat but sadly it's just not case....

As far as me, It's really is only a job. but I love what I do.
to many it is much more than just a job, even though I totally understand what you are implying..

be able to offer me Job Security depending on my performance, I would switch in a Heart Beat but sadly it's just not case....
job security really depends on the field(medical field is probably a safer bet if the term "job security" is being used). If an individual chooses working in a field/industry that primarily subcontracts work, there really is not a true definition of "job security" as one is willing to do it "cheaper and faster" than someone else...the same rule applies, someone else will be willing to do the subcontract work..."cheaper and faster"...by outbidding each other..

The goal is to maintain as many high paying jobs as possible in this industry.. to advance.. not only for today but for those in the future..., but unfortunately there seems to be a race to the bottom.

As far as me, It's really is only a job. but I love what I do. I wish that i had flight Benefits but since in never had it I don’t care too much for it.... 90% of the Vendor work force would like to be able to work for a MAJOR Airline, but job security is a BIG Issue. I read some of the post by some folks here that have over 15yrs in seniority and they are worried about being laid off due to downsizing or budget cuts... yes. yes, Vendors do play a BIG Roll in that.... We do it cheaper and faster... got it...

I didn't invent Subcontracting. it just the safer choice for me..... I have said before. If I could go an work for a Major Airline that would be able to offer me Job Security depending on my performance, I would switch in a Heart Beat but sadly it's just not case....

Nice attempt at a rationalization...

Still waiting for your answer on what role vendors play in the continuing race to the bottom in commercial aviation.

Tell me, can you raise a family and give them what is required working your current job?

Nice attempt at a rationalization...

Still waiting for your answer on what role vendors play in the continuing race to the bottom in commercial aviation.

If what you want to hear that My Role as a VENDOR is to take away jobs from Airline workers........... Then here it is...My Role as a VENDOR is to take away jobs from Airline workers.

If the above makes you feel better about yourself.. Then more power to you. I’m not too thrilled about my role. It's a Dirty job but someone has to do it. It’s the reality of life and the Business we have chosen......I TRUELY envy you and others like you that take so much pride in their company and years of service. That is the honest truth and I hope someday to be able to have said pride in my company. This has become a cut throat industry and I am just another PAWN....

Tell me, can you raise a family and give them what is required working your current job?

I can honestly say that I CAN. :up: Not sure why but that question bothered me a bit. I'm trying to understand why you would ask something like that. beacuse I'm a Vendor... When i said that we do it Faster and Cheaper. It's important that you understand that cheaper part comes from no Benefits, thats' ALL. the Pay is GREAT!!!!

Latest posts