Int Considers Incentives For Usairways

LMG

Aug 6, 2004
Posted on Thu, Dec. 09, 2004

Winston-Salem considers incentives for US Airways

Associated Press Miami Herald

WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. - Winston-Salem, which already has offered incentives to Dell Inc., is considering more economic lures to convince US Airways Group Inc. to consolidate its reservation operations here instead of Pittsburgh.

http://www.wnep.com/Global/story.asp?S=2671611

I think a lot of people are missing something very important with the new TA. Since UAIR will NOT have to pay relocation costs to call center operators, what's to keep the company from closing BOTH centers and consolidating them into one facility in, for example, Mobile? Perhaps real estate owned by, say, Retirement Systems of Alabama!

I'm verklempt... talk amongst yourselves... the topic... being screwed by US Airways. Discuss!

DCAflyer said:
I'm verklempt... talk amongst yourselves... the topic... being screwed by US Airways. Discuss!
[post="227639"][/post]​

Mommala, the res agents and flight attendants at US are like sticks of butter--whipped.

Thank, God, for waterproof Lancomb.

Don't go changing just to please me, I'll tumble for you.

DCAflyer said:
Since UAIR will NOT have to pay relocation costs to call center operators, what's to keep the company from closing BOTH centers and consolidating them into one facility in, for example, Mobile? Perhaps real estate owned by, say, Retirement Systems of Alabama!

[post="227639"][/post]​

Contract explicitly states that if the company consolidates the call centers into one office it will be in either PIT or INT. This doesnt mean they cant open one in MOB, but there has to be one in PIT or INT as well. Section 3 under Scope.

I already wrote to Dan Onorato, pleading that the county doesn't waste anymore tax dollars on keeping U in Pit. The money will be better off spend on the employees themselves, providing incentives for continued employment in Allegheny county with a viable company. The county ought to get together with the community colleges and trade schools and help retrain the workforce instead of trying to help a sinking ship. What's the point of spending tons of money on U, there isn't going to be any return on the investment. U employees, especially res, aren't employees that are spending money in the county, on new cars and houses, we are seriously cutting back on the budget and cutting back on every little extra we ever had.

PineyBob said:
OK, so do the math. Keep the CP & INT folks in Winston-Salem while accepting the incentives. Close PIT, open Mobile center. BINGO, Top of Scale issue resolved, Game Set Match.

From a pure business standpoint they are doing exactly the right thing. From a people/humanity standpoint? NO!
[post="227730"][/post]​

I just can't help but think the company will try some way to get around this. Clearly, the company's number #1 goal is to oursource and it is setting the stage for that. Can can the company open a call center in MOB, transer all employees from Greentree (knowing that probably 75 percent of them wouldn't go) and then at some point down the road close and relocate those employees at their own expense, again, knowing that most wouldn't go? It's great that you have that consolidation scope language in your contract, but I have become so leary of this management that every time the company gives up something, I wonder what they have in mind to get around it.

Back