Interesting Story

B

Bart

Myself and my instructor were up yesterday flying over the Chesapeake Bay (MD), when the engine started to sputter and we couldn't get any power out of it. The temperature on my weather brief said -6, and throughout our flight we encountered some snow flurries and whatnot.

I was flying a 2002 Cessna 172SP, and I had sumped the tanks on my preflight, and didnt see any water. The guy who had previously flown the airplane forgot to put on both the cowling plugs and the pitot cover, but we let the plane warm up with the pitot heat on to get everything set (it had snowed the previous night).

Any ideas as to why the engine cut out so suddenly? After about a minute or so the engine came back to life and we had full power. The mechanic suspected it was water in the fuel lines, but I sumped all 13 fuel sumps prior to the flight and found no water at all, and secured the tank caps before the flight.

Has anybody heard of this happening before? It wasn't carb icing, obviously, this being the newer fuel injected 172.

Thanks for the help.

Back