Introducing you guys and gals to America West!

Status
Not open for further replies.
There is nothing wrong in keeping historical perspective going, but to live and die in the past is delusional. I'm former PSA and I'll soon be a former USAirways employee and will become an AA employee. I have not and will not act as if my airline is better than someone else's. It was great that Doug painted some aircraft in the past airlines livery and put the symbols at the entrance of the passanger door. To preserve history is important, but to live in it is deficient, lacks motivation, not able to live in the present.

Reactions: 2 people
MK, the one you left out is US Airways. That is the one that has been issueing my paycheck the past few years. Hopefully we're on the way to having the Worlds Greatest Airline not just the Largest. Welcome aboard everyone!

Reactions: 1 person
Who would have thought thirty years ago the most successful post deregulation airline would become the worlds biggest airline?

A little past history, AWA formed in 1983 with three Boeing 737, crossed utilized employees, serving COS, ICT, MCI from PHX.

Some interesting links and quotes.

"The airline was established in February 1981 and began operations August 1, 1983, using three leased Boeing 737 aircraft flying out of its base in Phoenix, Arizona, with Ed Beauvais, a well-known airline industry consultant, as its CEO.[sup][3][/sup] In the early years, passengers could purchase their tickets on board the aircraft."

I'll also add alcohol was free on all flights.

"America West was one of the first airlines to use extensive "cross-utilization", in which employees were trained in a variety of airline jobs, such as pilots being trained in dispatch, and bothbaggage handlers and flight attendants being trained as gate agents. America West also started as a "full-service" airline, in contrast with Southwest Airlines, the discount air carrier competing in many of the same markets."

This web sight has a good link to some great history, watch the R-E-S-P-C-T commercial one of the all time greats.
http://www.psa-histo...ideo/index.html

Awesome tribute videos

That is just it. Sadly, the original America West is gone. The most successful, as you put it, of the dereg airlines itself became of victim of this era of airline history. Deregulation was supposed to foster competition and choice for passengers and opportunity for employees. It has done nothing but suffocate competition and led to many labor troubles. It is great to remember the good ol' AWA. I flew quite a bit in the early 90s through PMD, LAS, PHX and MCI and always enjoyed it. However, like my beloved North Central, we cannot bring them back. If only we did not have a spineless DOJ, we might have avoided a sad day like this. BTW, watching Bloomberg TV right now with Horton and Parker being interviewed. Yuk!

This one just posted on the Arizona Republics web page.
http://www.azcentral...tory-video.html

North Central, Southern, Western, Midwest, Frontier (the original), Braniff....
I was listing those airlines that are now a part of AA. North Central and Southern ended up Republic, then Northwest now Delta. Western went to Delta. I never heard of Midwest, Frontier went to People Express which went to Continental then United and Braniff just went.

MK

Reactions: 1 person
I was listing those airlines that are now a part of AA. North Central and Southern ended up Republic, then Northwest now Delta. Western went to Delta. I never heard of Midwest, Frontier went to People Express which went to Continental then United and Braniff just went.

MK

Sorry. Right. From the now US Airways linage, I think you can also add Lake Central.

"the Cactus is on the roll to Gate 1 .., the Cactus pushing off Gate 3". This is what the JFK Rampers at TWA would hear on their brick-sized Motorola radios daily as America West moved about our Ramp and as we prepared to service it.

Well the Cactus has finally landed a big one now...don't let this one get away.

Good luck to all.

America West almost shut down by the FAA and was not allowed to grow or add planes unless the FAA approved.

Status
Not open for further replies.