IRS Scrutinized Teaching the Constitution

Knotbuyinit

Veteran
Dec 12, 2011
This gem from the Washington Post:

At various points over the past two years, Internal Revenue Service officials targeted nonprofit groups that criticized the government and sought to educate Americans about the U.S. Constitution, according to documents in an audit conducted by the agency’s inspector general.

The documents, obtained by The Washington Post from a congressional aide with knowledge of the findings, show that on June 29, 2011, IRS staffers held a briefing with senior agency official Lois G. Lerner in which they described giving special attention to instances where “statements in the case file criticize how the country is being run.” Lerner, who oversees tax-exempt groups for the agency, raised objections and the agency revised its criteria a week later.

But six months later, the IRS applied a new political test to groups that applied for tax-exempt status as “social welfare” groups, the document says. On Jan. 15, 2012 the agency decided to target “political action type organizations involved in limiting/expanding Government, educating on the Constitution and Bill of Rights, social economic reform movement.,” according to the appendix in the IG report, which was requested by the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee and has yet to be released.

The Wall Street Journal reports:

The Internal Revenue Service’s scrutiny of conservative groups went beyond those with “tea party” or “patriot” in their names—as the agency admitted Friday—to also include ones worried about government spending, debt or taxes, and even ones that lobbied to “make America a better place to live,” according to new details of a government probe.

The investigation also revealed that a high-ranking IRS official knew as early as mid-2011 that conservative groups were being inappropriately targeted—nearly a year before then-IRS Commissioner Douglas Shulman told a congressional committee the agency wasn't targeting conservative groups.

I wonder how many non-conservative people's tax returns were given an audit pass.
I have yet to hear an Occupy group claiming that they were subjected to the intensive and intrusive anal exam given to the other "targeted" groups. Must be because they were so well organized and funded that they could easily comply with the several hundred pages of required documentation and were so proud of their contributors that they happily gave up intimate details of their family members and all direct and indirect communications that they ever had with everybody.

Besides, everyone knows that rape, rioting, vandalism, arson, littering, intimidation, theft, and general mayhem are standard "social welfare" activities in the Community Organizers' Handbook, so that let the Occupiers off the hook.

Reactions: 3 people
They are coming after you next,

You think this is some kind of freaking joke? This makes Benghazi look like Sunday School. Google Lojeski v IRS and see just what the thugs from the IRS can and often do to innocent people.

I

You think this is some kind of freaking joke? This makes Benghazi look like Sunday School. Google Lojeski v IRS and see just what the thugs from the IRS can and often do to innocent people.

I

I am well aware of the IRS and their heavy handed ways, the joke is in the drama.

http://www.alternet.org/irs-scandal-much-ado-about-small-stuff-while-karl-rove-gets-scott-free?paging=off

How is this any different from Nixon's Enemies List?....
It is not very different at all E.

Seems that the IG found bad apples at the office that approves the non-profit status before and they did not do enough to fix it for good.

Heads will roll on this one. I think that Carney staff may have known about this and not passed it on. Jay might do well to start polishing his résumé.

The cynic in me says this is just a Squirrel! tactic to take the heat off of the Benghazi investigation...

If the press secretary knew then the POTUS knew. Plausible deniability does not float in my book. Reagan got away with that BS and if it is the same situation here, Obama needs to explain him self.

Some how I doubt he knew. He strikes me as too smart to try something stupid like that. Then again, Nixon and Reagan both did it so who knows.

Reactions: 2 people