Is AMFA in Distress?

You're going to need to post a link to these cases or just post them. I called my local official, they hate that on Saturdays, and asked for a copy of these two cases.

The answer: if they were out of this local, we might have a copy for you to read only. Any other local, you're out of luck and no copies will be given out.

I know the second one is the AFW inspection case, what was the first?

You're going to need to post a link to these cases or just post them. I called my local official, they hate that on Saturdays, and asked for a copy of these two cases.

The answer: if they were out of this local, we might have a copy for you to read only. Any other local, you're out of luck and no copies will be given out.

I know the second one is the AFW inspection case, what was the first?
The second case is out of 514. Your local can get, or should be able to get any case arbitrated at the system board, or any of the area boards. I do not have a link available unless the arbitrator submits his case to say The Bureau of National Affairs (BNA).

"into the fight"? "adversarial"?

You are talking about the same "working together" TWU, that represents the mechanics at AA?

Seems to me, there is no fight, there is no adversarial part anymore. It is all kiss ass and be company union men. Sorry observer, but I do not see that as a solution, so count me on the sidelines. That's right, I am the big bad finger pointing disgruntled union member, because the turth is, there is no fight left to wade into. If you see a fight to wade into, let me know, and I will show up.

I noticed we were talking about outsourced work and RO committees, and you go to the "members are at fault" routine. You are true blue TWU alright. Is this your first time in management?
YOU ARE SAYING it is the mebers fault. I am saying as I have for years, members need to be involved. I don't blame the members. But we, as every union does, have a very silent majority who choose to not participate, or not get involved. Why is it that usually the stewards are the same, the people who run for office the same or with a little variance from election to election. If you are disgruntled fine, complainer fine. All organizations have that, What you choose to do with your time is your business.

Why is it that usually the stewards are the same, the people who run for office the same or with a little variance from election to election.
The stewards at my local are appointed by the president. A bylaw was submitted to change this to elected and was refused by the local without a vote of the membership.

YOU ARE SAYING it is the mebers fault. I am saying as I have for years, members need to be involved. I don't blame the members. But we, as every union does, have a very silent majority who choose to not participate, or not get involved. Why is it that usually the stewards are the same, the people who run for office the same or with a little variance from election to election. If you are disgruntled fine, complainer fine. All organizations have that, What you choose to do with your time is your business.
Observer you are 100% correct in your observation of the twu or more than likely most unions when it comes to status quo but when an (individual) gets involved things get a bit hairy.
A good friend of mine decided to get involved about a year and a half ago ( who's an opened minded free thinking individual ) and stepped in the middle of the union/AA bedfellow relationship and is now finding out that politics and status quo are the name of the game. He hasn't given up on morality and right n wrong but has accepted the fact that noone wants change on either side of the fence. He hasn't been labeled an AMFA guy simply because he isn't in the mechanic and related field. He's starting to get the hang of commitees though and admitted the other day that he gets an average of 10 hours a week straight time going to different meetings. I'm starting to think that maybe he is on to something here.

Whata ya think?????????????

The business of unionism is representing the membership. If the local as amfa speaks, truned down a by-law change that members would be elected, denying the will of the membership, then that can be challenged, and a petition needs be started and let the process begin. The locals that I have been in, posted on the union board who had an interest in being a steward submit their name, then run off elections were held for those positions. As for committees, while individuals work for the local, the local is the membership. The membership has the inherent right to be informed about those activties. It is not anti anything to be at opposition, it is when we get into intransigent positions where neither side recognizes or respects each others position. I have heard the same derogatory bs by many about things that happened in the past, very few of any who are employed here were here to go through. it. Learn from the past. If the membership is passive, if I only #### at work, or go on boards and ####, then only a small voice is heard. If you #### at work.......MANAGEMENT hears it.....take your bitches to the meeting, isn't your life worth @ 1 or 2 hours a month?

Membership "invlolvement" requires that democratic policies be in place, or apathetic tendancies will settle in quickly.

Given the lack of "membership" voting on International Officers, given the fact that the Intnernational ATD Director can sign off on changes or amendments to the labor agreements without membership ratification, the only real "involvement" with the TWU seem to be "Come on down to the hall, have some popcorn and soda, and we will tell you how it is going to be".

Oh I forgot to mention how the "membership involvement" voted three seperate times NOT to build a new union hall at Local 514, and regardless of that member "involvement", the new hall is now nearly completed.

Back when I was "involved", I personally submitted four resolutions to change the TWU Constitution at the International Convention of 1997. Guess what? Not one made it to the Convention must less to the floor of delegates to be voted on.

What exactly are you advocating that the members get "involved" to accomplish anyway? I can have popcorn and soda at home. I can hear how it is going to be from management. I refuse to be a sheep or stool pigieon and pretend I have a voice in the affairs of this union. Get involved my ass. People like you really irk me, as you believe the way it should be, but the TWU facts demonstrate otherwise and you just close your eyes or buried the head and pretend the truth is not so.

The "silent majority" you speak of is acutally the "vocal majority" which the TWU leadership refuses to hear!

If you #### at work.......MANAGEMENT hears it.....take your bitches to the meeting, isn't your life worth @ 1 or 2 hours a month?

I hate to burst your bubble, but the TWU and a dictatorship union meetings are NOT my life.

isn't your life worth @ 1 or 2 hours a month?

That is quite frankly an offensively worded question. TO indicate that my life depends on 1 or 2 hours a month at a TWU meeting really exposes your true beliefs.

You should try trusting your life to Jesus Christ and living for God instead of the TWU. You will get much further in the end.

The business of unionism is representing the membership. If the local as amfa speaks, truned down a by-law change that members would be elected, denying the will of the membership, then that can be challenged, and a petition needs be started and let the process begin. The locals that I have been in, posted on the union board who had an interest in being a steward submit their name, then run off elections were held for those positions. As for committees, while individuals work for the local, the local is the membership. The membership has the inherent right to be informed about those activties. It is not anti anything to be at opposition, it is when we get into intransigent positions where neither side recognizes or respects each others position. I have heard the same derogatory bs by many about things that happened in the past, very few of any who are employed here were here to go through. it. Learn from the past. If the membership is passive, if I only #### at work, or go on boards and ####, then only a small voice is heard. If you #### at work.......MANAGEMENT hears it.....take your bitches to the meeting, isn't your life worth @ 1 or 2 hours a month?

It is quite obvious that you have no idea, about how 514 works in Tulsa.
Save us the rhetoric, we have been there done that for decades, and we are still at it.
You are talking to people that are involved, and trying to change this place for the better every day.
If you faced the degree of ignorance we face every day, I am positive you will see things as they truly are.

“Take your bitches to the meeting"?????

Have you ever been to a union meeting in Tulsa?
If not, I am sure you mean well (and I am not trying to be mean here,) but you are clueless.
Tulsa and TWU will change right after our representatives in DC vote to eliminate lobbyists.
Let us know when that happens.

If the membership is passive, if I only #### at work, or go on boards and ####, then only a small voice is heard. If you #### at work.......MANAGEMENT hears it.....take your bitches to the meeting, isn't your life worth @ 1 or 2 hours a month?
The membership is only as strong as the leadership and when the leadership are a bunch of yes men for the company as we have with the twu, you get a membership that is passive because they know they have no union.

Now what you're suggesting of changing a passive membership will take one thing first: open elections of every position within the twu, Intl., committees, stewards, local officers, and so forth. They will of course be voted on by the membership and the membership will have the oppurtunity to run for each position.

The only way you change the membership is by giving them a chance to change their leadership from the top down.

TO indicate that my life depends on 1 or 2 hours a month at a TWU meeting really exposes your true beliefs.
Don't we already give them 2 hours a month in PAY.

The stewards at my local are appointed by the president. A bylaw was submitted to change this to elected and was refused by the local without a vote of the membership.

AMFAMAN....How long has this been going on? It sounds like the twu is just like the IBT. If I remember correctly this was what the IBT did at SWA,but I don't know if the IBT had the ability to accept a contract without membership approval as the twu has the ability to do. After all the contract states that it is an agreement between the twu and AA,not AA and the employees represented by the twu.

Back