Is Soldevere serious...his latest letter to the members voting in the 591 election

Swordfish

Jun 17, 2011

To the Membership of the new Local 591

​

I ask you to consider.

There has been some discussion among other nominees for union offices and they are even using it as their platform. That somehow because some of the candidates on my team have had past associations with Don Videtich that we are nothing more than subordinate, or some kind of lackey. They have even labeled us to be on his team. To me this is offensive; they want to engage the negative campaign which our team will not engage in. What they fail to understand is that because my team will have been elected by the membership, we hold a position of strength that is subordinate only to the membership. These people think it is a weakness to have a working relationship with the International, however, in my judgment, it is strength.

I do not deny my past working relationships to Videtich and other people in the International.

Our working together in the past and in the future should I have the honor of serving as you President, helps me to avoid an adversarial relationship and preconceived notions others may have about the man and the organization. This knowledge helps me to have a better working relationship which will help me to be better able to obtain the goals of the membership. As a result, I will be able to avoid the conflict, paralysis and chaos that has occurred and has resulted in the parties’ inability to work together, the consequence of which has been, lost opportunities for the membership. The men on my team do not deny their relationships with Videtich for the same reasons.

For me, and members of my team, to deny this would be a lie to the membership and I refuse to be anything but honest.

We worked together on many projects including self determination which started with something as simple as printing Aircraft Maintenance T shirts out of Local 513. We worked that project all the way through to charters for new line maintenance locals. We built Local 565, everything from looking at buildings, buying chairs, pencils and desks all the way to grievance tracker programs, email communications, steward meetings and training. Not to mention a number of arbitration cases which we worked together on to put unjust actions by the company right. Another heavy project was the lawsuit American filed for the “work safe” program which resulted in the opening of Love Field and some class 2 stations which remain open to this day. We defended that lawsuit which resulted the TRO being dropped. Another large project was the 2001 CBA which resulted in big increases in all areas of compensation. Many want to say the reason we got these increases was due to NWA’s CBA with AMFA. While this is partially true, there is still all the preparation and then the actual forming of the CBA as it relates to our membership. All this took place in BNA which in itself was a monumental task of moving everyone and everything that had to do with negotiations to an area off site, all the while still taking care of the day to day running of the local. Granted, these projects all occurred in the past, but I have maintained a genial relationship even though there have been no projects. I do not list them as some kind of list of successes but more as proof of existence of a successful working relationship.

Members of my team have also worked closely with Videtich on several projects. Mike Garcia worked on 29d arbitration cases in the recent past that pertained to fleet service scope and work units. Mike successfully prepared and presented these cases and was required to have a working relationship with Videtich and others in the International. Kerry Curtis a leader in the field of EAP set up one of the best, most highly regarded EAP programs working closely with the International and Videtich while in Local office. Doug Cohen worked on a Safety program to protect the members while at work; this was a close working relationship with Videtich. His passion for Safety far exceeds any level the company could ever hope to achieve.

I believe that to continue the “slash and burn” approach that exists with today’s leadership and those also running for offices, means to continue with more of the mediocrity and failure we have come to know from our representation. These so called leaders openly criticize the organization and Videtich himself. As I have asked before, who does this serve?

Many people want to believe the failures of the TWU rests solely with Videtich or others within the International hierarchy, never with themselves. Every one of those that were involved is responsible for the reprehensible mess we have today, yet they are running for office asking you to vote for them. They even run on a platform of despising the very people and organization they have to work with and within. What is the motivation for this? How can there be a positive outcome? They want to place blame everywhere but where it belongs and claim zero accountability. We see this with our government, our corporations, but we don’t have to accept it from our elected union leadership and we shouldn’t.

You will have a ballot to vote with. I ask that you think about our futures, think hard about what has happened. Think about your own value system and how it relates to accountability. I ask you to choose wisely. Do you want more of the same? Is this getting you what you want? Or do you want to see changes occur that will set a course towards positive outcome. If you want a positive outcome, then I ask you to place your vote for my team.

My Team:

Nick Soldevere - President

Mike Garcia - Vice President

Mike Hatfield - Financial Secretary Treasurer

Kerry Curtis - Recording Secretary

Tony Bernal - Title II Executive Board

Noel Padilla - Vice President Southeastern Region

Doug Cohen - Vice President Southwestern Region

Andy Goldschmidt - Vice President Western Region

Fraternally Yours,

Nick Soldevere

“The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category.” - Adolf Hitler

To the Membership of the new Local 591
​
I ask you to consider.

There has been some discussion among other nominees for union offices and they are even using it as their platform. That somehow because some of the candidates on my team have had past associations with Don Videtich that we are nothing more than subordinate, or some kind of lackey. They have even labeled us to be on his team. To me this is offensive; they want to engage the negative campaign which our team will not engage in. What they fail to understand is that because my team will have been elected by the membership, we hold a position of strength that is subordinate only to the membership. These people think it is a weakness to have a working relationship with the International, however, in my judgment, it is strength.

I do not deny my past working relationships to Videtich and other people in the International.

Our working together in the past and in the future should I have the honor of serving as you President, helps me to avoid an adversarial relationship and preconceived notions others may have about the man and the organization. This knowledge helps me to have a better working relationship which will help me to be better able to obtain the goals of the membership. As a result, I will be able to avoid the conflict, paralysis and chaos that has occurred and has resulted in the parties’ inability to work together, the consequence of which has been, lost opportunities for the membership. The men on my team do not deny their relationships with Videtich for the same reasons.

For me, and members of my team, to deny this would be a lie to the membership and I refuse to be anything but honest.

We worked together on many projects including self determination which started with something as simple as printing Aircraft Maintenance T shirts out of Local 513. We worked that project all the way through to charters for new line maintenance locals. We built Local 565, everything from looking at buildings, buying chairs, pencils and desks all the way to grievance tracker programs, email communications, steward meetings and training. Not to mention a number of arbitration cases which we worked together on to put unjust actions by the company right. Another heavy project was the lawsuit American filed for the “work safe” program which resulted in the opening of Love Field and some class 2 stations which remain open to this day. We defended that lawsuit which resulted the TRO being dropped. Another large project was the 2001 CBA which resulted in big increases in all areas of compensation. Many want to say the reason we got these increases was due to NWA’s CBA with AMFA. While this is partially true, there is still all the preparation and then the actual forming of the CBA as it relates to our membership. All this took place in BNA which in itself was a monumental task of moving everyone and everything that had to do with negotiations to an area off site, all the while still taking care of the day to day running of the local. Granted, these projects all occurred in the past, but I have maintained a genial relationship even though there have been no projects. I do not list them as some kind of list of successes but more as proof of existence of a successful working relationship.

Members of my team have also worked closely with Videtich on several projects. Mike Garcia worked on 29d arbitration cases in the recent past that pertained to fleet service scope and work units. Mike successfully prepared and presented these cases and was required to have a working relationship with Videtich and others in the International. Kerry Curtis a leader in the field of EAP set up one of the best, most highly regarded EAP programs working closely with the International and Videtich while in Local office. Doug Cohen worked on a Safety program to protect the members while at work; this was a close working relationship with Videtich. His passion for Safety far exceeds any level the company could ever hope to achieve.

I believe that to continue the “slash and burn” approach that exists with today’s leadership and those also running for offices, means to continue with more of the mediocrity and failure we have come to know from our representation. These so called leaders openly criticize the organization and Videtich himself. As I have asked before, who does this serve?

Many people want to believe the failures of the TWU rests solely with Videtich or others within the International hierarchy, never with themselves. Every one of those that were involved is responsible for the reprehensible mess we have today, yet they are running for office asking you to vote for them. They even run on a platform of despising the very people and organization they have to work with and within. What is the motivation for this? How can there be a positive outcome? They want to place blame everywhere but where it belongs and claim zero accountability. We see this with our government, our corporations, but we don’t have to accept it from our elected union leadership and we shouldn’t.

You will have a ballot to vote with. I ask that you think about our futures, think hard about what has happened. Think about your own value system and how it relates to accountability. I ask you to choose wisely. Do you want more of the same? Is this getting you what you want? Or do you want to see changes occur that will set a course towards positive outcome. If you want a positive outcome, then I ask you to place your vote for my team.

My Team:

Fraternally Yours,
Nick Soldevere

“The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category.” - Adolf Hitler

Fraternally or not, I lol'd

Reactions: 1 person
Guess Nick missed where the TWU testified that none of the Locals in the AA system have any standing to take any contractual issue to court, they have even taken the position that they can do whatever they please with the membership as well, without consent..

Besides Local 591 the most recent occurance is where Local 501 went to court to stop AA from outsourcing QATARs ramp work. Gless testified that 501 was right but the TWU lawyer said that niether Gless or Local 501 had any say on the contract and were not party to the contract and had no right to take the company to court.

When the Line Locals challenged the 2003 contract the TWU testified that none of the Locals have any say in the contract because they are not party to the contract, their proof, the contract itself, that lists what the Internationals call negotiators as witnesses. Witnesses can not bring legal action between the parties, they are only witnesses.

In 1999 the Presidents Council voted against the seperate locals, but at least the TWU at that time said " Let the members decide". Well they let some members vote, but not all of them. In BOS both T-1 and T-II were allowed to join Local 562, but mechanics in DCA and RDU were denied the opportunity, why, because the International didnt like the President of Bostons Local but didnt have a problem with the other two.

Now the International says they can do whatever they like, no membership vote needed and Nick still clings to the belief that under our structure that the Presidents really run the show.

What Nick fails to realize is that under this plan when the Presidents vote on issues that Aircraft Mechanics on the council will be reduced to just three votes, they will be outnumbered two to one by FSC. So lets say an issue comes up such as the company decides to start a Junior Mechanic Program because they cant get mechanics on the line with the worst contract in the Industry, the Mechanics file a grievance and Don and Bobby decide to let them have it and draw up a settlement for the Grievance that gets us nothing but "we put in language that requires the company to give them all this training" ( -never mentioning that the FAA requires it anyway) then they bring the settlement before the council, well everyone would be voting on this, not just the mechanics even though it affects us directly. This already happened with the settlement on the 29D filed two years ago when the company wanted to upgrade and fill spots on the line based on qualifications and not seniority. The Union decided to be ok with doing away with the qualification requirement, the company later put it back in one their own.

Nick says his team will not engage in a negative campaign, or at least not put their name to it. But one thing thats clear, the longer you read his post the more it becomes clear that he is TeAAm Videtich.

I think we all know that much like the self determination process of 1999 which was sabotaged and not allowed to run its full course with the hopes that we would fail, that the purpose of 591 is not to address our problems or make Line maintenence stronger, the fact is we have never been stronger than we are now with 6 Maint Presidents all on the same page, but rather this deal was cooked up by Don and ATD staff to serve the interests of the international, but, we should do like we did before and make the best we can from what we get and keep pushing to fix the problems we have where representatives from Title Groups that are not under our contract have the right to sit and vote on our contract (It should be remembered that of the 7 A&P mechanics in Negotiations 6 of them voted against bringing this deal back).

Right now the Title I or Title II guys that are still in Fleet dominated Locals may be left with the choice of allowing a FSC to represent them or having no one represent them at negotiations, RDU chose not to have their FSC President represent them, so they had no one there. Dons plan for 591 does not address that problem, however when Don was President he did push for finishing up self determination where all T-II was in Maint Locals, five line locals. Why the change of heart? The fact is that Don created 591 and he wants his team to run it and Nicks letter leaves little doubt that he is Don's choice.

The truth is what it is, and yes, sometimes some people could consider it offensive.

Reactions: 3 people
we hold a position of strength that is subordinate only to the membership.

There is no strenth within the twu sign an AMFA card and rid ourselves of this cancer

Reactions: 2 people
"That somehow because some of the candidates on my team have had past associations with Don Videtich that we are nothing more than subordinate, or some kind of lackey. "

Yes, that is correct.

"These people think it is a weakness to have a working relationship with the International, however, in my judgment, it is strength."

Yes, that is correct.

"Many people want to believe the failures of the TWU rests solely with Videtich or others within the International hierarchy, never with themselves."

Yes, that is correct.

"Do you want more of the same? Is this getting you what you want?"

No, that is why teAAm videtich will not be elected by the membership. You claim you are not a tool of the international yet you claim to work closely with them. Starting the double speak already?

Why is videtich getting involved in Local politics? Hum?

"My Team:

Fraternally Yours,
Nick Soldevere

Hey Nick, quoting Hitler? Realy? Well, considering Hitler was a dictator and the international is set up like a dicatatorship I guess your choice of idols is fitting.

I really can't believe he was dumb enough to post this long winded message. I am reminded of a saying that went something like "sometimes it's better not to say anything, and have people suspect your stupid, than to put it out there - like ole Nick did, and confirm it!
Quoting Adolf Hitler? Wow, stay classy Nick!

I was asked if the letter and quote from Hitler on Soldevere's letter were real....
feel free to see for yourself at http://local591election.com
I am not sure how long he will keep it and his other letters online; I see he has already changed his picture on the website.

Nick has also added another when he talks about how much we could be making if the membership would have just gone along with the previous "Videtich Dream Team" comprised of of Woodward, Gilboy, Stewart - then Zimmerman. He fails to mention both the 2008 extension and the 2010 T/A were laden with contractual concessions. He also forgets that he was complaining in the breakroom about the 2012 T/A and how we were getting screwed!

It seems that Nick has never actually changed from his days when he was VP, he is still telling the story that fits the need. I seem to remember that is why he was voted out of office, losing by a large majority to Frank Picarelli, who was later fired, I mean allowed to resign while others were fired, for his involvement in a 401k scam (Frank was also a VP under Videtich).

In closing, I ask you to view this quote by an horrible, evil man and how it relates to our opponents in this election that are putting a label (or categorizing) my team.

"The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to one category." - Adolf Hitler

I see that Soldevere has updated his letter to now include this inflamatory comment above his inflamatory Hitler quote. Since I referred to the now obvious :Team Videtich, I am now worthy of the Hitler quote by overspeed, oops Soldevere. But lets look at the rest of this completely insensitive quote as it refers to what Hitler was saying in Mein Kampf.

The art of leadership, as displayed by really great popular leaders in all ages, consists in consolidating the attention of the people against a single adversary and taking care that nothing will split up that attention into sections. The more the militant energies of the people are directed towards one objective the more will new recruits join the movement, attracted by the magnetism of its unified action, and thus the striking power will be all the more enhanced. The leader of genius must have the ability to make different opponents appear as if they belonged to the one category; for weak and wavering natures among a leader's following may easily begin to be dubious about the justice of their own cause if they have to face different enemies.
As soon as the vacillating masses find themselves facing an opposition that is made up of different groups of enemies their sense of objectivity will be aroused and they will ask how is it that all the others can be in the wrong and they themselves, and their movement, alone in the right.

What a sick individual to quote Hitler, especially when you read the rest of what surrounded the quote and what Hitler was referring to. This guy should be tossed from the election for this, but then again he is doing what Videtich wants.

Reactions: 3 people