Is there a new stimulus on the way

V.O. Reason

Veteran
May 3, 2019
So here we are a month from the end of this horrific year and there is faint hope of a new stimulus bill.
Will they actually get one done. The one proposed does include 17 billion for airlines.
Once again though I read the witch known as Polsi is saying it’s only a starting point.
So again I think this will be yet another tease and we again will be left with nothing.
For all you who know yes I am a fiscal conservative but as long as these jerks in these states keep telling people not to travel and other such things, like lockdowns the airlines will continue to suffer greatly and so this boost is still needed.
I don’t see much hope for the airlines though with Biden and company in control in 2021 even with a stimulus

How long do you expect "stimulus" to continue?....

Recovery to 2019 traffic levels for airlines won't happen until 2022 at the earliest. You simply can't carry excess employees that long.

Recovery to 2019 traffic levels for airlines won't happen until 2022 at the earliest. You simply can't carry excess employees that long.
Particularly if you aint the only one wanting to be stimulated. If I'm reading the report correctly, Mr. Mnuchin , D. Trump's Secretary of the Treasury wants all unused stimulus money returned to him for distribution to companies, not workers. And, Mnuchin has 100% say on who gets an award and how much.

Last edited:

I think this needs to be the last and I don’t believe this will have the employee requirements in it, it’s more about the loan
So yes continues reductions will likely continue.
What truly needs to happen is these states and countries need to stop panicking people and discouraging travel.
But I doubt that will happen, we now have a Chinese agent as president so they will be our daddy now

If there's a direct to tax filers stimulus, the airlines don't deserve anything else...

Theme park,, cruise, hotel, restaurant and bar workers have been hit far harder than the airlines, and there's no specifix industry relief for those tax filers...

What worked for Amtrak?... They just went thru layoffs as well.

Or are you referring to having the government take over responsibility for rail travel? Good luck with that ever happening again... .

Any relief package needs to direct relief directly to people, not companies.
But by going thru the employers with the aid money stops the layoffs by said companies that take it, so wouldn't it be more beneficial to keep them employed rather than laying them off, they go on unemployment and then get aid from gov but then they have to report that aid to unemployment and it drops the help they get from unemployment. As long as it used in the proper direction I support it going to companies. And I assure you if any company tries to burn that cash for anything else but to keep and support the employment of employees will pay dearly to the gov. Unless I am missing something I would rather keep folks employed.

aa said last week that they will have $14 billion in liquidity entering 2021.

they also said that the cash burn rate for 4q'20 will be at the high end of $25-$30 million a day.

worst case scenario - if aa is 'burning' $900 million a month, easy to do the math as to when the $$ runs out.

unfortunately, it could be $20 billion - but, the airlines can't stand another 6 months of this. the vaccines need to be distributed as quickly and efficiently and as soon as possible.

what will keep 'viewers' sitting on the edge of their seats is aa's near-term future.

the good is that aa had finished all of it's major CAPEX projects. planes, infrastructure, post-merger synergies..etc.

the iffy is - if aa has $600 million-$900 million a year in annual debt payments (old and post-virus govt. debt.) the pressure is on to annually earn in the $1.25 billion-$1.75 billion range.

i believe they can do it.

hopefully, oil won't explode and biden will sleepwalk through his energy programs. $85/bbl oil will make it that much more difficult for aa.

What worked for Amtrak?... They just went thru layoffs as well.

Or are you referring to having the government take over responsibility for rail travel? Good luck with that ever happening again... .
Basically.

I could argue Amtrak has been on government stimulus since 1970. A public company ran like a private corporation who's major stock (worthless as it is) holder is the US government and benefits from government subsidies.

I mean you have to laugh at the absurdity of it.

Why even bother laying off? It's not like they ever made a profit anyway. it's not like they have to satisfy shareholders. They can just keep doing business as usual and sticking it to the tax payers just like they have done for the last 50 years.

Companies have bills to pay to and those bills fund payroll for other companies.

American Airlines through billed services fund payroll for dozens of companies (or more!!!).

Last edited:

Companies have bills to pay to and those bills fund payroll for other companies.

American Airlines through billed services fund payroll for dozens of companies (or more!!!).

I always laugh my ass off watching a Democrat trying to explain the economics of redistribution of wealth. They don't have a freaking clue.