It's Official!

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
New Virgin-Branded U.S. Airline Announces New York as Corporate Headquarters and San Francisco as Principle Base of Operations

New Airline Will Create up to 3,000 Jobs Over Five Years

NEW YORK, June 5 /PRNewswire/ -- Fred Reid, head of the new Virgin-branded U.S. airline start up, today officially announced New York as its corporate headquarters and San Francisco as its principle base of operations. As two of the country's largest travel markets, both cities and states offered remarkable incentives that will help the airline to design a new low-cost operation that will create as many as 3,000 new jobs over the next five years.

"We received a heart-warming welcome in both cities. After careful deliberation, we felt that pairing New York and San Francisco would provide the best foundation for a business model that allows us to deliver a better experience and better value for air travelers," said Reid. "Culturally, New York and San Francisco reflect the Virgin brand's fun, dynamic style, making them both ideal places for us to recruit creative, skilled employees who can deliver on our vision of outstanding customer service."

This dual approach is one way the company is already challenging industry norms. A significant presence on each coast will enable the airline to create operational efficiencies - the first of many innovative moves planned - to design a modern, efficient business structure that will help the airline deliver real value to air travelers. Initially, the New York headquarters is expected to employ more than 300 people. Also within the first two years of operation, the new company plans to hire more than 1,500 flight attendants, pilots, flight attendants, maintenance technicians, engineers, dispatching and other work functions in San Francisco. The overall number of employees, in both locations, is anticipated to grow to more than 3,000 over the next five years.

New York City, NY

This will be the only airline to call Manhattan home. It will centralize corporate functions for the company in New York, the country's largest travel market, at what it calls "Airline HQ," including marketing, human resources, and finance responsibilities. The airline anticipates more than 300 employees working at this facility initially.

"I would like to commend the airline on its decision to place their corporate headquarters in New York City," said New York Governor George E. Pataki. "They chose New York over several other major US cities, proving once again that we are the business capital of the world. It is through aggressive, pro-business policies that this State continues to win projects and jobs for the people of New York. Important investments such as this bring New York State closer to our goal of creating one million new jobs by the end of the decade."

The state and city offered the airline more than $11 million in hard and soft state and local grants and incentives, including tax and energy incentives plus funds for job training assistance, co-operative marketing and community development.

San Francisco, CA

This also will be the first and only airline with its principle operations based in California. In San Francisco, the country's third largest travel market, the airline will centralize all operations responsibilities, including flight attendants, pilots, flight attendants, maintenance technicians, engineers, dispatching and other work functions, at what it calls "Ops HQ." The airline anticipates more than 1,500 employees working at this facility.

"Today's announcement that the new Virgin-branded U.S. airline will base its operations center in the San Francisco Bay Area and bring more than 1500 new jobs to the state is fantastic news for California," said California Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger. "I'm thrilled the airline has decided to take advantage of California's many advantages - a vast market, qualified workforce, wonderful lifestyle, excellent operating climate and a government committed to making it easier for businesses to succeed. The new airline's decision to base its operations in our great state is yet another example that California is open for business."

The state and city offered the airline more than $15 million in hard and soft state and local grants and incentives, including employment training grants and co-operative marketing.

About the Virgin-Branded U.S. Airline

The new Virgin-branded U.S. airline will be the 21st century alternative, an innovator that challenges industry norms to deliver a better experience for domestic air travelers. The company will unite Virgin's world-renowned customer-focus, and distinctive style to create a low-fare airline that offers more - more options, more comfort, more entertainment, more value. The U.S. airline will be American-owned and operated - with a majority of American investors.

Source: Virgin-Branded U.S. Airline

Moderators PLEASE DON"T MOVE THIS POST!!! Why? I believe many US Airways (especially former PSA) employees can benefit from this. Get your resumes ready.

Gee...SFO..

Didn't PSA fly there. Wasn't PSA based in California. What does Virgin know that USAir..ways doesn't know.

Probably alot.....Oh well...USAirways...a large regional carrier for at least a few more month's...... :angry:

Knowing some of what SFO-based flight attendants at AA have to go through to maintain some quality of life at N. Cal. prices, I feel for the employees of Virgin USA. Unless, of course, Sir Richard is hoping to have a whole new staff every few years.

OldGuyinPA said:
Wasn't PSA based in California.
I was thinking that as well when I read
This also will be the first and only airline with its principle operations based in California.
Certainly the only one based in California today, but hardly the first. Not only was there PSA, but AirCal was most certainly based in California as well. As was SunAire (later bought by Skywest). As were a handful of other small regionals.
What does Virgin know that USAir..ways doesn't know.
Perhaps that it's not a good idea to take a well functioning regional airline and burden it with exhorbitantly high costs.

Let's see, headquarters in Manhattan and operations based in San Francisco. Are these the best choices for what is supposed to be a low-cost airline? :blink:

mweiss said:
I was thinking that as well when I readCertainly the only one based in California today, but hardly the first. Not only was there PSA, but AirCal was most certainly based in California as well. As was SunAire (later bought by Skywest). As were a handful of other small regionals.
Perhaps that it's not a good idea to take a well functioning regional airline and burden it with exhorbitantly high costs.
Don't forget former California based airlines:

Continental (Under Bob Six at LAX)

Western Airlines

World Airways

Flying Tigers

Jet America

Pacific Express

Golden West

Imperial Airlines

Los Angeles Helicopter Airways

There are probably more.....

EyeInTheSky said:
New Virgin-Branded U.S. Airline Announces New York as Corporate Headquarters and San Francisco as Principle Base of Operations

today officially announced New York as its corporate headquarters and San Francisco as its principle base of operations.

This also will be the first and only airline with its principle operations based in California.
AAARRRGGGHHH!!!
And in a press release, no less!

Repeat after me: PRINCIPAL, not "principle".

Can't believe no one caught this before it went out...

N924PS said:
Don't forget former California based airlines:

There are probably more.....
No one's mentioned the 'original' Southwest (Airways), later known as Pacific Air Lines. Air West/Hughes Airwest, the airline that Pacific became a part of, kept Pacific's SFO HQ as their own.

Also, some more regionals/commuters:

Swift Aire

Wings West

Apollo, later known as Pacific Coast

WestAir

probably STILL others...

mga707 said:
Repeat after me: PRINCIPAL, not "principle".
Yeah, I noticed that as well. Figured it was not worth calling out, but yeah.

Or maybe they chose SFO as a matter of principle... :lol:

Can SFO currently handle the A380? Even though they are seperate of each other, I look for VA to feed VUSA. I think that this is bad news for UA. More competition on the West Coast is not what they need. Good luck to VUSA. Just my thoughts....

SFO can handle the 380, though there are some restrictions on aircraft movement on adjacent taxiways and the like.

VS currently offers daily service to SFO from LHR. I think it's on a 747-400, though it may be an A340.

EyeInTheSky said:
... Also within the first two years of operation, the new company plans to hire more than 1,500 flight attendants, pilots, flight attendants, maintenance technicians, engineers, dispatching and other work functions in San Francisco. ...
Maybe they will be hiring proofreaders as well...

Latest posts