It's out

I wouldn't call it ignorance 700...more like a healthy dose of skepticism. After having been an IAM member, then an AMFA member and working for a company bent on screwing me. Mix that with a touch of "conspiracy theoryitis" and you have my opinion. But in the spirit of keeping it light-hearted I say I just DON'T TRUST too many folks. At the top of my list is the federal government...TOO BIG!
Also with the exception of the greenbacks that most folks have in their wallets and the piddly amount in banks the rest of the money (the vast percentage of it) is in cyberspace. The Landrum-Griffith ACT is all well and good, but until law breaking is discovered evil men will always try to circumvent the law....and at least that is still a fact.
Gotta agree with ya here....well said.

DePace is the President and Directing General Chair of District 143, he works for the District, not the International.

May 19, 2006 0130CDT
IAM, NWA Reach ESSC Tentative Agreement

District 143 today announced a tentative agreement with Northwest Airlines covering 5,600 Equipment Service & Stock Clerks (ESSC) at the bankrupt airline.

We were able to get the Company to change some of their demands. Even with this movement, the committee is still disappointed.
However, the committee recommends ratification of this tentative agreement to avoid the elimination of our contract. We do not recommend ratification of the agreement because the terms are favorable, but because the alternative is worse.

Terms of the tentative agreement and a ratification schedule are being prepared for distribution to the membership and will be available on the District 143 website, www.iam143.org.

A separate but simultaneous strike vote will also take place to authorize a strike in case the tentative agreement is rejected by the membership and the ESSC contract is abrogated by the court. Closing arguments in Northwest’s Section 1113© trial to abrogate contracts will take place on May 19, 2006.

With a bankruptcy judge set to rule on the abrogation of our contract, it would be irresponsible of us not to allow the membership to review and vote on the modified terms we negotiated. It is not in anyone’s best interests to have a judge decide our fate.

If the judge agrees with Northwest’s claim that the company cannot successfully restructure with the terms of the pre-bankruptcy ESSC contract in place, he will terminate the contract in its entirety. This would allow the Company to impose any wages, work rules and benefits it wants, including unlimited subcontracting.

This is a difficult time for the membership, our airline and our industry. The negotiating committee thanks you for your continued support and solidarity.

Your ESSC Negotiating Committee,

Robert B. De Pace
Kevin Graf
David Carr
Joseph Pascarella
Steve Kelton
Michael Gasper

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Even with this movement, the committee is still disappointed."

Sure you are.... :rolleyes:

"We do not recommend ratification of the agreement because the terms are favorable, but because the alternative is worse."

Yes...The loss of dues would be...awful... :rolleyes:

do you know what is in the new contract and whenit takes affect?
I spoke to my General Chair this morning, and here's what he had to say about it (keep in mind that I have not yet seen the changes from the March offer as of this writing, and am going on his word).

It is basically the same T/A put out for vote in March, with a few changes here and there (some small changes to the medical plan(s), equity/profit/success sharing, pensions, etc.). There were *no* changes to the number of cities closed, loss of Scope, or LPP's. We'd also still lose the following (and much much more):

-3 holidays

-The double-and-a half pay rate on the remaining holidays.

-Sick pay would be paid at 75% for the first few days.

-Line pay, longevity pay, and shift differential.

..For me, it would mean a loss of almost all job security covenants, and .25/hr. raise....So, it'll be another "NO" vote for this cat; and yes, I do understand the ramifications of such a vote.

As far as any time frame goes, It would go into effect as soon as it was ratified by the membership.

I'm going to open up the pool by saying it'll pass 62%-38%. :down:

I'm going to open up the pool by saying it'll pass 62%-38%. :down:

Whatever happens, good luck Kev.

Oh and I'm in with a pass 56%-44%

Disclaimer: if it manages to be voted down again, this will be the ratification percentage when the IAM votes again. After all, they must've been confused. :rolleyes:

it sure doesnt sound like a good contract at all. No problem with the kind words Kev! I was speaking to a couple of NWA employees yesterday at my city and they told that all of them are leaving, just not sure when as they dont know who will take over ABE.

Hackman,

The IAM represented ESEs have all ready voted down concessions.

And Depace does not make that decision the members and International do.
700UW, BOTH of us know how this situation will be handled.
There is NO WAY the IAM leadership will honor a "NO" vote on the first vote...

IF it comes back as a NO, The IAM will just re-vote again until they get their dues saving YES vote...

We both have been there, Seen that, ADMIT it...

DePace is the President and Directing General Chair of District 143, he works for the District, not the International.

Everytime I think of DePace and the international I keep seeing the big head of the wizard..."PAY NO ATTENTION TO THAT MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!"...Sorry 700 but I know Bobby and I still don't think he makes a speech or a statement without the international's blessing.

They all ready voted no and renegotiated, they are not voting on the same offer that they rejected.