JCBA Negotiations and updates for AA Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Worldport said:
Safety has to be negotiated? Unfortunately  most times something has to go wrong before things are changed. Then its too late, unfortunately we lost someone here years ago

Too often; safety policies and OSHA's regulations, are written in the blood and sacrifice, of others. Importance and compliance are up to the individual.

ograc said:
Too often; safety policies and OSHA's regulations, are written in the blood and sacrifice, of others. Importance and compliance are up to the individual.

Eddie Morris DFW. Lost both his legs from a push out tractor that backed in to him in the rain. No governor for speed and no backing lights or sounds.

Of course he was also crossing the ramp with a dark hoodie over his head, no vest at night listening to an IPod.

And sometimes we learn safety through the horrible accidents of others.

WeAAsles said:
Eddie Morris DFW. Lost both his legs from a push out tractor that backed in to him in the rain. No governor for speed and no backing lights or sounds.

Of course he was also crossing the ramp with a dark hoodie over his head, no vest at night listening to an IPod.

And sometimes we learn safety through the horrible accidents of others.
Sounds like someone finished for the night and walking to the exit. He wasn't working like that was he?

Worldport said:
Sounds like someone finished for the night and walking to the exit. He wasn't working like that was he?
No. He was finished for the night and crossing between A38 and C2 but a lot of guys would cross there and not go to the end where you can basically hug the wall across. The way the guys head would be turned who was backing the huff there would have been no way he could see him anyway. That guy was also very messed up psychologically.

Some maniac actually asked me at the time if I wanted to see the video of the accident. Uh NO.

Reactions: 1 person
WeAAsles said:
No. He was finished for the night and crossing between A38 and C2 but a lot of guys would cross there and not go to the end where you can basically hug the wall across. The way the guys head would be turned who was backing the huff there would have been no way he could see him anyway. That guy was also very messed up psychologically.

Some maniac actually asked me at the time if I wanted to see the video of the accident. Uh NO.

You can write all the policies and regulations you want. It still comes down to being safety oriented as an individual. Unfortunately, the practice of not being safety oriented, can have an adverse affect on others as well. Members need to be assured working in a safe manner is endorsed by the company and the union. IMO... Safety language in the JCBA should be considered and agreed to by both parties. Enforcement and compliance is up to the parties involved.

It is refreshing to be staying on topic. JCBA talks should be the focus. Huge pivot point, for our collective group, going forward. Let's get in the game and discuss priorities. Too much white noise in the past. What are the priorities? The floor is open for discussion.

ograc said:

You can write all the policies and regulations you want. It still comes down to being safety oriented as an individual. Unfortunately, the practice of not being safety oriented, can have an adverse affect on others as well. Members need to be assured working in a safe manner is endorsed by the company and the union. IMO... Safety language in the JCBA should be considered and agreed to by both parties. Enforcement and compliance is up to the parties involved.

Nailed it.

And in an ideal world, it's the easiest one for both parties to agree on...

Hearing protection...ASAP... all of it...

Kev3188 said:
Nailed it.
And in an ideal world, it's the easiest one for both parties to agree on...
Hearing protection...ASAP... all of it...
I think they finished that one already too. I'm sure we'll have hearing protection and knee pads in the contract. How about Safety Shoes?

ograc said:
It is refreshing to be staying on topic. JCBA talks should be the focus. Huge pivot point, for our collective group, going forward. Let's get in the game and discuss priorities. Too much white noise in the past. What are the priorities? The floor is open for discussion.
18 Articles TA'd so far I believe. ograc what would you say for you is your highest priority?

number one for me is job protection, I don't want me or anyone else to be n the position of looking back and saying well I used to make 30+ an hour

WeAAsles said:
I think they finished that one already too. I'm sure we'll have hearing protection and knee pads in the contract. How about Safety Shoes?
Aren't they required at AA? If so, my suggestion is to reimburse up to a set amount ($100?) yearly.

cltrat said:
number one for me is job protection, I don't want me or anyone else to be n the position of looking back and saying well I used to make 30+ an hour
You just hit my #1. Strong job protection and grievance language hopefully on an expedited basis. Without that what good is money if you lose your job.

And if held out of service you're paid pending the outcome of an investigation. I hear that you don't have that on your side rat and to me that gives management the control to stall which certainly doesn't work for me.

Kev3188 said:
Aren't they required at AA? If so, my suggestion is to reimburse up to a set amount ($100?) yearly.
Yes they are and I believe it's something our guys have worked on and argued? Can't wait till Christmas (hopefully sooner of course) to see if that present is sitting under our tree?

But I'd have to go with 2 times yearly unless the company compensates for a resole job.

WeAAsles said:
You just hit my #1. Strong job protection and grievance language hopefully on an expedited basis. Without that what good is money if you lose your job.
And if held out of service you're paid pending the outcome of an investigation. I hear that you don't have that on your side rat and to me that gives management the control to stall which certainly doesn't work for me.
+1

I've seen both sides. At NW, it was paid, and in my experience, people were rarely held out more than a day or two. At DL, they just suspend them indefinitely and hope they resign...

Kev3188 said:
+1
I've seen both sides. At NW, it was paid, and in my experience, people were rarely held out more than a day or two. At DL, they just suspend them indefinitely and hope they resign...
Well let's take for example "aircraft damage" Under the TWU aircraft damage happens the investigation starts. The employee or employees are put out of service at managements discretion pending the outcome of a drug test. Usually that drug test takes about 3 days and the employee is being paid in the interim. If it comes back clean the employee comes back and is issued discipline depending on the severity of the damage or delay of the flight. One of the first things the union does is pull the maintenance logs for the equipment that was used that caused the damage to see if it was serviced on schedule. If it wasn't that obviously helps the situation and possibly the discipline can be whittled down through the grievance process.

I've rarely heard of anyone being fired unless the accident was considered gross negligence or it was a new hire still on probation. Or of course their drug test came back dirty and even then there is a process that the member can go through to come back to work, EAP treatment.

The US policy now is that management has to run any local discipline through HR. I love it because now there wouldn't be any overreaction by management where the process for grieving would have absolutely gotten the member back and possibly even with back pay. It just makes things a lot smoother IMO.

It's horrible what you just stated Kev. Of course if the member or in your case employee is not paid it gives management the emphasis to wait the person out as long as they want. Especially if it's someone they want to get rid of for whatever reason. Also why I feel termination grievances need to go to the top of the pile and be expedited. Currently on my side when they terminate the member he is no longer being paid. And in that case it can take a few months before the member to return if the termination was unjust. A "paid" expedited termination procedure would prevent the company from ever firing anyone who they feel the Union would have a strong argument for being able to reinstate.

Excluding maybe attendance issues. Attendance is pretty cut and dry and is something only the member controls. (Unless he's in a coma) At AA (my side) the member is given more than enough rope to hang himself and if he's that bad off with personal issues he should be applying for Family Leave anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts