JCBA Negotiations and updates for AA Fleet

Status
Not open for further replies.
I asked about this last week, and if IIRC Prez said he thought (not for sure but thought) that whatever Scope Clause ends up in the new JCBA will be closer to LUS than LAA.

Would that not mean that the grandfathered stations you mention would be reopened if we end up with something closer to LUS Scope? Closer to LUS would have to be around 7 or 8 flights a day worst possible case scenario. Surely that would bring cities like DEN, DTW, SAN, SNA, etc. back online? Or is there something I am missing? Are these stations not LUS staffed now?

Not to open up another can of worms, but has it already been determined who will represent stations like the ones I listed. I would think the TWU would have an issue with all of them being IAM represented. Was this already determined back when they were discussing the BOS situation?
One of the rumored stations is IAH where I am. It is TWU per the NMB ruling last year over CWA. There were a few stations that the NMB originally said had to be given to TWU in terms of fleet service. TWU was probably in this other stations pre bankruptcy so it makes sense. Maybe someone here can confirm stations such as ABQ, MSY, IND, RSW, SAN, etc. We've already had mechanics that were previously at IAH as well as managers swear IAH is reopening but all of that is a pipe dream until the ink is dry. So yes I am biased and would definitely like to see certain stations reopen for our sake and for those who were displaced. We definitely have the threshold necessary so that shouldn't be the hangup. And I don't buy the nonsense about the company to trying to save money yet they completed new lounges, breakrooms, locker rooms and new equipment to boot. Why spend if you have no plans to expand?

There are two thresholds. One to keep a station open, which is equivalent to 15 flights a day. Then there is the threshold to reopen a station, which is equivalent to 20 flights a day. (counted as annual departures)

If we are closer to LUS Scope, then it would be those LUS rules though or closer to those rules right? Whatever is in the new JCBA would be the new Scope, which is why I don't understand how some of those stations would not reopen. I hope they do anyway.

I Closer to LUS would have to be around 7 or 8 flights a day worst possible case scenario. Surely that would bring cities like DEN, DTW, SAN, SNA, etc. back online? Or is there something I am missing? Are these stations not LUS staffed now?

If I understand your question correctly US presently staffs the ramp at DEN and SAN, but not DTW or SNA.

One thing about the IAM agreement for which I was surprised the union negotiators accepted was the different requirements for mainline flights depending upon the station. I am not sure about the exact number, but SNA required an average of 12 daily flights while other stations required 8 daily flights.

Not surprisingly, those stations requiring only 8 daily flights did over 12 daily flights, while those requiring 12 daily flights were closer to 8 daily flights (and some eventually axed). How RNO has managed to stick around with a couple of daily mainline flights and a couple of Express planes would be a mystery for which I cannot wrap my mind around.

If we are closer to LUS Scope, then it would be those LUS rules though or closer to those rules right? Whatever is in the new JCBA would be the new Scope, which is why I don't understand how some of those stations would not reopen. I hope they do anyway.

Depends on what the number of flights becomes to reopen stations. There could be language to keep stations open but it doesn't necessarily mean that same number would trigger restaffing.

We'd have to see the language.

Reactions: Colonel.Ramp
Depends on what the number of flights becomes to reopen stations. There could be language to keep stations open but it doesn't necessarily mean that same number would trigger restaffing.

We'd have to see the language.
I haven't looked at the language recently, since my former station on the LUS side was outsourced back in 2005. The threshold to keep a station staffed for fleet was based on the number of weekly flights at the time, not daily. I am just guesssing at the numbers to make my point, but the minimum per week was something like 56, and in order to get an outsourced station back was 91. Why the IAM ever agreed to that, I will never know.

Reactions: Colonel.Ramp
I haven't looked at the language recently, since my former station on the LUS side was outsourced back in 2005. The threshold to keep a station staffed for fleet was based on the number of weekly flights at the time, not daily. I am just guesssing at the numbers to make my point, but the minimum per week was something like 56, and in order to get an outsourced station back was 91. Why the IAM ever agreed to that, I will never know.

More than likely because you only gained representation with the IAM in 1995 and you had no prior agreement on Station Staffing language to work from?

He's already it seems up the arse of the TWU Local officers in ORD. He's certainly not coming across as a fan of President Tim Murphy. Nelson may not be TWU yet but agreements made by Management and the Local there can and do effect him, so all that is his call.

I think eventually he will transfer wherever he needs to be to remain IAM IMO? He has way too much fun (again IMO) rattling their chains to remain in the boring (By comparison) TWU.
Fwiw, it has nothing to do with the iam as i was waiting for rsw. Not necessarily against twu as its locals are stronger and elections are more narrowly focused which would be really interesting to me.

My xfer to clt will go in on October 23rd, pt or ft. Im guessing ill be pt in clt by january??
I have my 2 confirmed passes for my europe trip prior to that and dont plan on screwing that up. I would consider orange county, or phx due to family members possibly moving there but a certain house needs to sell a bit quicker.

Also weez, it was reported under my cheat sheet that our break times in the jcba will go from 12 minutes to 15. That should be able to buy you a few more walking minutes since you are stuck all the way down at D2

Last edited:
Today AA posted a Q&A session on the 2Q17 State of the Airline. Here is one of the questions I found interesting.
A legit question by a cubicle lackey, or a disrespectful question by management? :)

Q. Have you ever thought about becoming the first airline to be union free? Are airlines required to have unions or can we do away with them?

A. Many of our team members have chosen to be represented by unions, and we respect their right to union representation. We care about our team members and their careers whether they are represented or not. Our unions are responsible for negotiating and administering the labor contracts that apply to our team members. Negotiations are sometimes difficult, but we're confident that we'll be able to reach agreements with each of the unions that represent our team members.

Fwiw, it has nothing to do with the iam as i was waiting for rsw. Not necessarily against twu as its locals are stronger and elections are more narrowly focused which would be really interesting to me.

My xfer to clt will go in on October 23rd, pt or ft. Im guessing ill be pt in clt by january??
I have my 2 confirmed passes for my europe trip prior to that and dont plan on screwing that up. I would consider orange county, or phx due to family members possibly moving there but a certain house needs to sell a bit quicker.

Also weez, it was reported under my cheat sheet that our break times in the jcba will go from 12 minutes to 15. That should be able to buy you a few more walking minutes since you are stuck all the way down at D2
Don't you have "peeps" down in IAH????

"For our maintenance brothers and sisters they want to outsource the maintenance portion of their jobs and have foreign countries, foreign workers actually maintain the aircraft. They want to lower the standards we have in our medical benefits and our pension benefits which is always our quality of life," said Sidney Jimenez, President of the TWU.

http://www.nbcmiami.com/news/local/Airline-Workers-Protest-for-New-Union-Contract-441675623.html
If they take away the maintenance portion of the maintenance jobs whats left? Guess who's ever left will watch TV and be on their laptops Since they are getting rid of all their jobs I suggest next time the company puts out food those getting canned should bring in tupperware and bring food home to freeze. I'm going to the "warn" website to see how many states were told of this impending doom

Weez are they really eliminating jobs? How many, whats their seniority dates?It's not "fake news" is it? Did you get together with NYer and are now BFFs?

I did see NYer out there. We're not BFF's but I give the man credit as he did a very good job at this Protest here.

As a matter of fact. TWU Local 568 from President Sidney Jimenez down deserve to give themselves a round of applause.

MIA hit an absolute Home Run.

Status
Not open for further replies.