Jetblue and Long Island / Islip

JetBlue encroachment into Islip might even plop Southwest down at JFK - and I think one would be underestimating the boys and girls from Dallas to think they lack enough political clout to get some slots or gates or whatever is necessary.

JetBlue has tv sets and assigned seats, you say? Southwest has fewer customer complaints and a better on time record.

My my we lash out when feeling threatened. Or maybe it's arrogance? It's not very becoming of you.

As for fewer complaints, WN has always done a great job managing expectations. When your product is rather Spartan folks don't expect much.

WN might very well win the game of chess. B6 might very well be the "Betamax" of the industry,we shall see. One thing for sure JetBlue provides a MUCH better product.

WN is a great airline and the one to beat now. It's best not to be on one's high horse whilst pontificating about an airline in the crappiest business in America.

I don't know about adding more flights at LGA; I read that Neeleman isn't pleased with the delays at LGA. I think B6 is better off sticking with JFK. As for ISP, I just don't see how going head-to-head with WN is going to help B6's yields unless B6 is going to fly different routes than WN.

ngneer,

would imagine B6 would fly different routes than WN, to some extent.

Using E190's, there should be business and leisure markets that B6 could be able to serve-profitable.

As far as LGA, Needleman talked about the same problems in EWR...dalays. But would think the higher yields would make up for some of that.

SoftLanding

My my we lash out when feeling threatened. Or maybe it's arrogance? It's not very becoming of you.

As for fewer complaints, WN has always done a great job managing expectations. When your product is rather Spartan folks don't expect much.

WN might very well win the game of chess. B6 might very well be the "Betamax" of the industry,we shall see. One thing for sure JetBlue provides a MUCH better product

Well, first of all I don't work for WN (or any airline) so I'm not feeling threatened.

I've heard the managing expectations theory before. I'm not sure I buy it. I tend to see WN as more of a "doing the basics very well" airline rather than a "managing expectations" carrier.

I can't argue for or against the MUCH better product, except to say that they don't seem to have done real well as far as on time flights is concerned....and in my job - where I travel on behalf of the government - I've not been allowed to use JetBlue, even when I wanted to.

A while back I needed to go from El Paso to Burlington VT. There is no published government fare between the two points.

USAirways wanted between $1800 and $2500, depending on when you traveled. The first part of the journey would be on AA to DFW then US via CLT or PIT.

Well, in trying to save the taxpayers a few bucks I decided to investigate using JetBlue. I thought I might go WN from ELP to MSY then B6 MSY to BTV.

One thing that the government requires, due to the nature of our travel, is a fully refundable fare.

I'm not sure that the res agent ever fully understood that I had to have a fare I could get refunded. At any rate, I was not offered one hence I did not fly into BTV and I didn't get to use B6.

Ultimately I went WN from ELP-SAT-BWI-ALB, got a rent car, and drove up. Came back ALB-BWI-AUS-ELP. All in all not a real painful trip, and it cost roughly $600.

My take on the whole deal is B6, if they are really as smart as Neeleman's press clipping would have you believe, will try and pick a fight with someone other than WN.

Latest posts

Back