JetBlue Breaks Ground on New JFK Terminal

Flying Titan

Veteran
Oct 14, 2003
JetBlue’s New Terminal 5 will More Than Double Airline's JFK Capacity within Three Years
Low-Fare Airline Reveals Design Plans -- Historic Saarinen Terminal Will Become Part of JetBlue’s New Home

New York (December 7, 2005) -- JetBlue Airways Corp. (Nasdaq: JBLU) today revealed its design plans for Terminal 5 at John F. Kennedy International Airport in the low-fare airline’s hometown of New York. The project is the largest infrastructure investment undertaken by JetBlue since the airline began flying in February 2000, and will more than double the airline’s JFK capacity by 2009.
JetBlue currently operates approximately 100 flights a day out of 14 gates from JFK’s Terminal 6. When the Terminal 5 construction project is completed by 2009, the low-fare airline will have 26 gates, capable of up to 250 daily flights.

Highlights of the project include:
• $875 million budget; $80 million funded by JetBlue
• Three year project
• New 635,000 square foot terminal designed around the customer’s airport experience
• 26 gates capable of up to 250 daily flights
• Capacity for 20 million customers per year
• Connection to the historic Eero Saarinen terminal
• A 1,500-space parking garage
• A 30-year lease with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

JetBlue’s New Terminal 5 will More Than Double Airline's JFK Capacity within Three Years
Low-Fare Airline Reveals Design Plans -- Historic Saarinen Terminal Will Become Part of JetBlue’s New Home

New York (December 7, 2005) -- JetBlue Airways Corp. (Nasdaq: JBLU) today revealed its design plans for Terminal 5 at John F. Kennedy International Airport in the low-fare airline’s hometown of New York. The project is the largest infrastructure investment undertaken by JetBlue since the airline began flying in February 2000, and will more than double the airline’s JFK capacity by 2009.
JetBlue currently operates approximately 100 flights a day out of 14 gates from JFK’s Terminal 6. When the Terminal 5 construction project is completed by 2009, the low-fare airline will have 26 gates, capable of up to 250 daily flights.

Highlights of the project include:
• $875 million budget; $80 million funded by JetBlue
• Three year project
• New 635,000 square foot terminal designed around the customer’s airport experience
• 26 gates capable of up to 250 daily flights
• Capacity for 20 million customers per year
• Connection to the historic Eero Saarinen terminal
• A 1,500-space parking garage
• A 30-year lease with the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey

What a joke this is! New terminal at JFK for JB. This is the way Neelman is going to shut down JetBlue. Waste all of the money so he can file BK and then liquidate. The flight attendants are pissed off and are looking to organize. Neelman was quoted saying "If any work group organizes, I will be forced to shut the airline down."

JetBlue = The laughing stock of the airline industry! :lol:

What a joke this is! New terminal at JFK for JB. This is the way Neelman is going to shut down JetBlue. Waste all of the money so he can file BK and then liquidate. The flight attendants are pissed off and are looking to organize. Neelman was quoted saying "If any work group organizes, I will be forced to shut the airline down."

JetBlue = The laughing stock of the airline industry! :lol:

B.O.B why don't you go piss off some loyal AA customer or better yet, just piss off!

B.O.B why don't you go piss off some loyal AA customer or better yet, just piss off!

Bitter party of one, your table is ready!

No need to "piss off," you do that on your own just fine.

JetBlue has just started the down fall. Buying the EMB190 is the first big mistake. Successful LCC's stay with one a/c type (Southwest).

All of the legacy carriers are waiting for JetBlue to FAIL! It's only a matter of time before JB is going, going, GONE!

Who'd they get to fund the other $795 million?
Hopefully not the NY taxpayers.

The P.A. is paying for this, except for the 80 million JetBlue contribution, through its bonding powers. Ultimately, JetBlue will pay for this as it has signed a 30-year lease for use of the terminal. Still, it looks like a good deal to me as JetBlue will get exclusive use of this new terminal with most of the money to be paid out on the back end.

JetBlue has just started the down fall. Buying the EMB190 is the first big mistake. Successful LCC's stay with one a/c type (Southwest).

All of the legacy carriers are waiting for JetBlue to FAIL! It's only a matter of time before JB is going, going, GONE!

B.O.B. -
Don't focus so much on the rear view mirror in determining what will make a successful LCC. That's not a slam - just an assessment of what I think would get any carrier in trouble. In the past, a single fleet type was absolutely the right model for an LCC, like SWA, to follow. But now, and increasingly in the future, the model will have to change. LCCs will have to find new territory to compete. There are only so many big markets left for new flights. Next step??? Medium markets that are better served by a plane like an E190 - not an A320 or a B737. I am certain that within the next couple of years even SWA will make some major changes from what's WORKED for the last 30 years. Assigned seating on SWA isn't a matter of IF, only a matter of WHEN. I would not be at all surprised to see SWA add a second fleet type, as well. Embraer is courting them very, very aggressively. Change is coming...and JetBlue might just be ahead of the curve.

The P.A. is paying for this, except for the 80 million JetBlue contribution, through its bonding powers. Ultimately, JetBlue will pay for this as it has signed a 30-year lease for use of the terminal. Still, it looks like a good deal to me as JetBlue will get exclusive use of this new terminal with most of the money to be paid out on the back end.
B.O.B. -
Don't focus so much on the rear view mirror in determining what will make a successful LCC. That's not a slam - just an assessment of what I think would get any carrier in trouble. In the past, a single fleet type was absolutely the right model for an LCC, like SWA, to follow. But now, and increasingly in the future, the model will have to change. LCCs will have to find new territory to compete. There are only so many big markets left for new flights. Next step??? Medium markets that are better served by a plane like an E190 - not an A320 or a B737. I am certain that within the next couple of years even SWA will make some major changes from what's WORKED for the last 30 years. Assigned seating on SWA isn't a matter of IF, only a matter of WHEN. I would not be at all surprised to see SWA add a second fleet type, as well. Embraer is courting them very, very aggressively. Change is coming...and JetBlue might just be ahead of the curve.

What are you smoking? Southwest will not go with a second a/c type. Southwest will also never use assigned seating. They have their operation down to a science and it works. The EMB190 is a piece of CRAP! RJ's are hated by passengers and if you noticed orders have dropped BIG TIME! The only curve JetBlue is headed for is the one with a big wall at the end.

Here is a song you should get to know:

Nana, Nana, Nana, Nana, Nana, Nana, Hey, Hey, GOOD-BYE...

JetBlue!

Bitter party of one, your table is ready!

No need to "piss off," you do that on your own just fine.

795 mil is being funded by the PANYNJ. People that are a whole lot smarter than you think JetBlue is going to be around for the long haul. You are a disgrace to our profession. What kind of moron wants another airline to fail?

795 mil is being funded by the PANYNJ. People that are a whole lot smarter than you think JetBlue is going to be around for the long haul.

PA smart? I wouldn't be so sure of that. If PA was smart they would make Jet Blue fund their own terminal, as they have for other airlines.

They'd still get the money from Jet Blue, or someone else for 30 years, and they wouldn't have to use PA money to build the thing.

795 mil is being funded by the PANYNJ. People that are a whole lot smarter than you think JetBlue is going to be around for the long haul. You are a disgrace to our profession. What kind of moron wants another airline to fail?

People who see the truth about airlines like JetBlue. JetBlue is bringing down the entire airline industry and it's time they go.

I'm a smart person. That's why I don't work for JetBlue, own their stock and know they're soon to be gone!

Cya, moron.

People who see the truth about airlines like JetBlue. JetBlue is bringing down the entire airline industry and it's time they go.

I'm a smart person. That's why I don't work for JetBlue, own their stock and know they're soon to be gone!

Cya, moron.

Exactly how is jetBlue bringing down the airline industry? I think that was accomplished by a couple of rag heads on 9/11.
What is the differance in what jetBlue is doing and what Southwest did? Southwest wasn't always the highest paid. Pay and work rules take time to negotiate. If you think they are on the way out you are clueless. They have a CASM as low as Southwest and that's hard to beat.

The EMB190 is a piece of CRAP! RJ's are hated by passengers and if you noticed orders have dropped BIG TIME!

A clue for the clueless: EMB-170/190 orders are just starting to ramp up, not drop off. Only orders for 30-50 seat jets are dropping off. The 170/190 isn't remotely in the same category.

Funny how 90% of your posts is pointless ranting, and the 10% that tries to be factual is wrong.

The 170/190 isn't remotely in the same category.

A little FYI for The Kool-Aid drinker that you're:

1. CRJ 50/70 = RJ
2. EMB 170/190 = RJ

All of the above are classifeid as RJ's!!!! So you might want to check that out again...Mr. Clueless!

A little FYI for The Kool-Aid drinker that you're:

1. CRJ 50/70 = RJ
2. EMB 170/190 = RJ

All of the above are classifeid as RJ's!!!! So you might want to check that out again...Mr. Clueless!

God, I'm so very thankfull I don't work for AA anymore!