JetBlue cutting staffing

s80dude

Veteran
Aug 19, 2002
USA
Visit site
Jetblue is removing a row of seats to bring the number of flight attendants from 4 to 3 on each airplane. The new recon. will have 150 seats. Company says no furloughs will result though.

36 inch pitch in the front of the plane... awesome.
;) ;) ;) Yes the increased pitch is awesum, just another reason to fly JB. However, one less crewmember makes for ALOT more work for others. I wonder if its time for JB to put on abeverage/bar carts to expedite service and redistribute the workload- seems reasonable doesn't it?

Good News short term at least for customers.

I'm not liking the trends at Jet Blue for long term viability. When you base your growth plan on the failure of another I don't think that's all that prudent and that to me is what JB did.

I think you are wrong. The management folks at JetBlue didn't want US Airways to fold their tent. JetBlue never had the capital or airplanes to move in big at any of Airways hubs. Northwest, American, WN would have benefited more in the above scenario. Now Delta thought they were going to drive US Airways out of business and it helped expedite their trip inot bankruptcy. Even with JetBlue's original delivery schedule they could not have capitalized on any carrier's liquidation.

Carts don't expedite service when it's just snacks/beverages. FWIW, few realize how significant the fuel costs are in hauling carts, even though they don't weigh much. JB's ASL (ave stage length) is pretty long anyway. Plenty of time for service.

I'm sure JB did the math, but it's surprising to me. They just increased CASM while reducing RPMs. They did cut their FA expenses by 25%, but they're foregoing significant revenues to do so. I wonder how much they'll save.

Carts don't expedite service when it's just snacks/beverages. FWIW, few realize how significant the fuel costs are in hauling carts, even though they don't weigh much. JB's ASL (ave stage length) is pretty long anyway. Plenty of time for service.

I'm sure JB did the math, but it's surprising to me. They just increased CASM while reducing RPMs. They did cut their FA expenses by 25%, but they're foregoing significant revenues to do so. I wonder how much they'll save.

Not to mention the cost of buying carts and the cost of stocking them.

Rhino, haven't flown in a loooong while, but what's the latest on the FAA's efforts to increase the per pax weight estimate?

The seat equation goes something like this:
Cost to revenue:
reduction of UP TO 6 paying passengers, but only on sold out flight. Even then, effective revenue management techniques should result in those being @ the lowest fare.

Benefit on the cost side:
Less fuel burn
One less F/A
lower power takeoffs (more DRT takeoffs), resulting in less engine wear
less "tech" stops in the winter
better schedule integrity due to less tech stops

Now put a value to each one of those items throw it into Excel, and we have a winner......

JetBlue cutting staffing, Removing seats to lower minimum crew to 3 Such a positive reaction to the removing of 6 seats from the aircraft. :shock:

Passengers are going to love the extra room, next Jetblue are going to add hot food. ;)

Spoken like a person who never has to walk the aisles multiple times in a flight! :lol: I fail to see the "cost" of hauling carts. Most of the weight of the carts is not in the carts themselves, but in the contents of those carts--beverages and snacks. If you are going to haul those anyway, where is the savings?

Carts also save the cost of cleaning vouchers engendered by those jerks who--even with a 36 in pitch--feel that the only place for their feet is out in the aisles. If you are carrying drinks on a tray when one of them trips you, it can be messy. :shock:

SWA doesn't use carts and they seem to do fine. They can serve a full plane on a 25 min flight. There is also weight savings with the simplified galleys.

SWA doesn't use carts and they seem to do fine. They can serve a full plane on a 25 min flight. There is also weight savings with the simplified galleys.

I'm well aware that SW doesn't use carts. That's not what I said or asked. You still have to have a place to securely store the beverages and snacks during take-off and landing. Whether that is a secured cart or some sort of storage unit, the weight does not come from the cart or the storage unit, it comes from the beverages.

You said there was a significant weight saving from not having carts. An empty cart is an aluminum shell with wheels.

jm, I know it seems insignificant, but two carts probably = 60+ lbs. Multiply that by 3000 flts/day and you'd be amazed at how it adds up. In fact, airlines should hire only skinny midgets, then they'd really be profitable. :p

You said there was a significant weight saving from not having carts. An empty cart is an aluminum shell with wheels.
I heard RyanAir doesn't have barf bags in every seatback in order to save weight....they would seem to weigh significantly less than an aluminum shell with wheels.

In fact, airlines should hire only skinny midgets, then they'd really be profitable. :p

Forget midgets. If you just went for skinny, you would wipe out at least 90% of AA's flight attendant corps. I heard through the grapevine that we actually had one who had to drop her S80 quals because she could no longer get through the overwing window exit on the S80 (an FAA requirement).

Carts don't expedite service when it's just snacks/beverages. Plenty of time for service.

SKY HIGH STATES: Not only do carts expedite the service, but they make it more efficient. 3 Flight attendants serving 150 passengers. So, each F/A gets 50 people. That's how many up and down the aisles with a serving tray? TOO MANY.