Jetblue to DTW in '09?

Harold

May 16, 2005
I know that Jetblue has significant financial problems, but the new terminal at DTW opened on Sept 18th with 6 vacant gates and an airport desperately looking for an airline to use them. DTW is NWA's largest hub, and Delta is in the process of taking over NWA. With the economy in Michigan being very soft passengers at DTW would welcome a new discount airline with cheaper fares to the new terminal. Spring/09 would be an opportunistic time for Jetblue to open at DTW. Right now NWA is the only carrier to fly non-stop from DTW to JFK and Logan with return fares over $600/person. Comments anyone?

You'd be much better off if you got Southwest to increase their schedule there. Much better, believe me. JetBlue is all sizzle but with poor reliability. Southwest, on the other hand, is not ostentatious or spectacular. They just get the job (getting you from Point A to Point B) a whole lot better.

You'd be much better off if you got Southwest to increase their schedule there. Much better, believe me. JetBlue is all sizzle but with poor reliability. Southwest, on the other hand, is not ostentatious or spectacular. They just get the job (getting you from Point A to Point B) a whole lot better.

Oh no the mole has crawled out of his hole! Hi Davey. :lol:

With the economy in Michigan being very soft passengers at DTW would welcome a new discount airline with cheaper fares to the new terminal. Spring/09 would be an opportunistic time for Jetblue to open at DTW. Right now NWA is the only carrier to fly non-stop from DTW to JFK and Logan with return fares over $600/person. Comments anyone?

I don't know if the DTW market, even with the new terminal is the place for Jetblue to go into right now. Like you said, with the whole economy of MI sucking royally there are probably fewer $$$ to spend by leisure travelers. There is potential to attract some Canadian customers from across the river for cheap flights to Florida, but ofcourse that market is well covered and Jetblue would have to offer serious bargains (money losing fares?) - so what's the point. Also, I would think that any DTW-BOS or even DTW-New York flights by Jetblue would invite quite the response from NW. Maybe it's better for Jetblue to wait until DL is running the show and hope the new DL will leave them alone in DTW like the old DL left Airtran alone in ATL.

Just my $0.02.

Flame to your heart's delight, Kramden (or is it Cramden?). You cannot call me a liar, though, and you know it. Hope they don't bill you for that koolaid.

Any company that ignores "Unsubscribe" requests as much as B6 has done with us is totally unworthy of respect. All isn't lost, though; y'all are (thankfully) long gone from TUS.

Best to Alice.