Jetblue To Lga

But JS--then add to the equation for AMR a free ticket after 2 RT's, and it can be to anywhere in the world. Mostly that means Europe, Asia, L.A., the Carib and Hawaii, all long haul. How would you calculate that cost? a penny a mile? After all it would take 60,000 Aadvantage miles to get one normally. Here you're getting it for flying under 4000 miles....

On LGA JBLU has 7 RT although they still have to work out details with the NYPA on some of it, on the webcast on the JBLU site they say that they will be used mostly for Florida, and then some will be pulled down from JFK--gave a "for example" of adding 5 FLL flights and dropping 2 from JFK for a net add of 3. Just to get us back on topic.

Whadayano said:
But JS--then add to the equation for AMR a free ticket after 2 RT's, and it can be to anywhere in the world. Mostly that means Europe, Asia, L.A., the Carib and Hawaii, all long haul. How would you calculate that cost? a penny a mile? After all it would take 60,000 Aadvantage miles to get one normally. Here you're getting it for flying under 4000 miles....

On LGA JBLU has 7 RT although they still have to work out details with the NYPA on some of it, on the webcast on the JBLU site they say that they will be used mostly for Florida, and then some will be pulled down from JFK--gave a "for example" of adding 5 FLL flights and dropping 2 from JFK for a net add of 3. Just to get us back on topic.
The free tickets are treated as award tickets, where availability is limited to prevent revenue losses. The cost to the airline of award tickets is very small, because it's only the marginal cost of fuel and labor for that one seat -- something like $25 for a domestic trip.

By the way, I'm flying 10,000 miles, not 4,000, to get the free ticket (JFK-Calif. and back times two). :)

JS said:
Whadayano said:

The free tickets are treated as award tickets, where availability is limited to prevent revenue losses. The cost to the airline of award tickets is very small, because it's only the marginal cost of fuel and labor for that one seat -- something like $25 for a domestic trip.

By the way, I'm flying 10,000 miles, not 4,000, to get the free ticket (JFK-Calif. and back times two). :)
The cost of the free ticket is potentially the whatever a roundtrip to Europe or whatever costs...

If I were planning a summer trip to Europe (or whereever), I would certainly consider booking two r/t's to FLA or SoCal in the next month or so, and get all three tickets for less than a 'normal' fare to Europe.

Again, when AA cannot accomodate these passengers through the free reward system because they will run out of revenue managed award seats, they will has alienated the passengers they are trying to keep.

I think there is some "devil in the details" here that they may have miscalculated (like redemption of the free tickets).

Whadayano said:
Interesting... very close to my example on Page 1 of this thread...

Way to go Dave! :p

Kidding, of course.

ALM Antillean Airlines said:
I read earlier last week on justplanes.com that apparently the LGA slots for B6 where granted, however I do read anywhere else confirming of this fact ! :unsure:

Can anyone elaborate further on this ? B) :cold:
Jetblue was granted 11 slots, but if they have flights operate before 7am and after 10pm, they can make it into 14 slots, which means 7 daily flights per day. The interesting thing is that we knew we had the LGA slots before we made the announcement to officially request the exemption. Being one of the few low fare carriers that does not serve LGA, when the slots became available they were offered to B6 and they jumped on them. B6 plans to serve Florida markets from LGA starting this May.

PLANES333 said:
ALM Antillean Airlines said:
I read earlier last week on justplanes.com that apparently the LGA slots for B6 where granted, however I do read anywhere else confirming of this fact ! :unsure:

Can anyone elaborate further on this ? B) :cold:
Jetblue was granted 11 slots, but if they have flights operate before 7am and after 10pm, they can make it into 14 slots, which means 7 daily flights per day. The interesting thing is that we knew we had the LGA slots before we made the announcement to officially request the exemption. Being one of the few low fare carriers that does not serve LGA, when the slots became available they were offered to B6 and they jumped on them. B6 plans to serve Florida markets from LGA starting this May.
LGA does not work like DCA. At LGA, 14 slots = 14 return trips. Hence, why they can get an odd number of slots.

trolly dolly said:
:D :up: Virgin usa
Trolly Dolly,
are you trying to tell us something? Oh, yeah, Virgin is on final approach (and has been for months now). That's the longest final approach I've ever seen. Thanks for sharing your very deep insights with us all.