Jetblue to ORH

dash8roa

Senior
Oct 25, 2003
On NOV-7-2013 Jetblue will fly two daily flights to Florida, one to MCO and one to FLL. Embraer E-190's will be used. While these should to good, it would have been nice to offer also 2 daily's to JFK where many connections can be made to the rest of Jetblue's route map. The Florida flights will not offer much of anything in connections and both stops are leisure destinations,meaning low yields.
Since ORH has no commercial service at all, this could be a good start to building up more service as time goes on.

This will only siphon some of their own traffic away from BOS. Just about every other airline out there has given ORH a try at one time or another.

B6 is trying to become the dominant airline in New England, esp. since other carriers have decided they aren't willing to let B6 have the position they once had in NYC, esp. JFK.

You are right that as the dominant domestic carrier at BOS, adding more cities around BOS only will dilute B6's only traffic at BOS but if ORH is successful it does help insulate their BOS operation from other competitors.

Obviously gov'ts like to see air service at every airport possible so this is also a political move.

Reactions: 1 person
B6 is trying to become the dominant airline in New England, esp. since other carriers have decided they aren't willing to let B6 have the position they once had in NYC, esp. JFK.

You are right that as the dominant domestic carrier at BOS, adding more cities around BOS only will dilute B6's only traffic at BOS but if ORH is successful it does help insulate their BOS operation from other competitors.

Obviously gov'ts like to see air service at every airport possible so this is also a political move.

And since ORH is owned by Massport, it IS a political move to get this decent facility, up and running once and for all.
I'll tell you this WT,.........ORH has the 'potential' to be a 'niche' airport for just the right 'niche' airline, and it's just possible that B6 'could be' just the right fit !

Having lived here in greater Bos/southern NH all my life, I watched the ORH saga for years with great interest.
Giving my age away, I remember when Piedmont(jets) flew out of ORH................."YIKES" :-(

you certainly know the area there have been very few success stories of 2nd or 3rd tier airports being upgraded to large-scale service on an ongoing basis beyond what WN has done.... others possibly could do it, but so far, no one else has really succeeded at doing it.

B6 also doesn't have a great incentive to build ORH into a large operation because they then have to defend two airports in a city where there is relatively little domestic connecting traffic (based on geography) which means they run the risk of other carriers regaining share in other markets... there are equally very few cities where one airline is the dominant carrier at more than one airport in a city. Where it does occur, it is because that carrier has locked up the facilities and/or slots at one or more airports to limit access by other carriers.

you certainly know the area there have been very few success stories of 2nd or 3rd tier airports being upgraded to large-scale service on an ongoing basis beyond what WN has done.... others possibly could do it, but so far, no one else has really succeeded at doing it.

B6 also doesn't have a great incentive to build ORH into a large operation because they then have to defend two airports in a city where there is relatively little domestic connecting traffic (based on geography) which means they run the risk of other carriers regaining share in other markets... there are equally very few cities where one airline is the dominant carrier at more than one airport in a city. Where it does occur, it is because that carrier has locked up the facilities and/or slots at one or more airports to limit access by other carriers.

I do believe the Airport that sits a Majority in my own home town(though it unofficially/OFFICIALLY termed MHT) will do very well, once the AA/US thingy is official !

If we had only exchanged "hometown airports" years ago, just think of where our conversations might have gone...
I know your part of the world and it is a beautiful one.

BTW, there seem to be more and more rumblings about the future of B6 as well as Neeleman making some pretty bad swipes at B6's current mgmt. regarding how the company is run.