Jetblue Will Try Anything

boeing787

Senior
Jan 25, 2004
Management at JetBlue Airlines is preparing to seek an exemption from the FAA's eight-hour flight and duty time regulations to study pilot performance and fatigue during transcontinental turnarounds and to possibly reengineer flight schedules in a more "productive" manner.

A communication from JetBlue Chief Pilot Peter Russo to his pilots outlines the need to "study" pilot fatigue resulting from what he calls "contra-circadian" flying-flight time during hours that people normally sleep. This study is part of an "Alertness Management Program" that he is instituting on that property that includes education, behavior modification, and schedule modification components.

ALPA's president, Capt. Duane Woerth, personally informed the FAA administrator "in the strongest possible terms" that ALPA will vigorously oppose granting this exemption and "all the copycat exemption requests that will surely follow for competitive reasons." He said, "The inadequacy of the current flight and duty time limitations are well known to all, especially as the duty day limit-16 hours-is ridiculous." For nearly 10 years, "the FAA has promised Congress an NPRM to address all of these scientifically proven shortcomings," Capt. Woerth observed. "Yet, as of the end of the first quarter 2005, no NPRM is in sight or even discussed."

Capt. Woerth warned that "allowing JetBlue management or any airline official to cherry-pick the rules by exemption cannot be tolerated."

UNBELIEVABLE...YOU GUYS SHOULD STOP THIS OUTRAGEOUS BULLSHIT! :shock: :down: :down: :down: :angry:

There was a time when the head of ALPA would have had enough political leverage to really get in the way of this effort by jetBlue. However, about all DW can do now is voice his displeasure and sit on the sidelines and watch it happen anyway. Funny how he hasn't jumped on Southwest for their endorsement to "cherry-pick" the rules regarding the Age-60 proposal. I think I smell the rotting stench of hypocrisy with DW on this issue.

Yall need to keep your mouth shut. This is about safety and changing rules that have been around for that very reason. Jetblue trying to undermine the 8hr. rule should strike every pilot as an attack on the very nature of this business. Well I guess jetscrew being non union and all the wannabees over there who could'nt cut it back in the day just don't understand. How are those 5year contracts treating you. :down: :down: :down: :down: :down:

[deleted by moderator]!

I normally like Boeing products, but I'm going to make an exception with you...what a tool!

In the Part 135 world, a 2 piloted aircraft can fly up to 10 hours with no more than 14 hours on duty. That is even pushing it sometimes..

Boeing787:

Your hatred towards the JB guys is ill founded and speaks volumes about your own personality.

Those trolls at JBU that you despise as airline pilot wannabes WERE major airline pilots for many years....perhaps more than you have been. They (like myself) were shown the door by their respective airlines and went with JBU to continue the career we all love. However, once there, I am happy to be here. I am treated much better than ever before. It is nice to work for an airline that cares about its employees.

However, your attack is ill founded. JetBlue is addressing the whole issue. Yes, they would love to do west coast turns. Most pilots would as well...the productivity is awesome and would allow a 10 day month.

I have some reservations about it. I think long term it will be approved and there will be many restrictions.....restrictions that will in the long run will make it counterproductive. In the meantime they are addressing the dirge of the pilot...the west coast turn with a day sleep and a redeye, which IMO is much more demanding than any west coast turn.

Further, I expect some good will come of this. Perhaps we can get the reduced rest and crappy rest requirements fixed.

In the meantime 787, keep your foul attitude to yourself. It only tarnishes the image of your carrier (whoever that is).

Boomer

Some decent trip rigs would get you a 10-day month too, or premium credit for nights.

Who's been selling the idea that money and lifestyle are on opposite sides of the teeter-totter?

Also, why can't you fly a transcon on day 1, a series of turns on the appropriate coast on day 2 and a transcon back on day 3? Also, what might be a great day trip for a JFK based crew would be a lousy red-eye followed by a transcon home getting back around 11 am for a west-coast crew. Be careful what you wish for...

CaptianBoomer said:
Boeing787:

Your hatred towards the JB guys is ill founded and speaks volumes about your own personality.

Those trolls at JBU that you despise as airline pilot wannabes WERE major airline pilots for many years....perhaps more than you have been. They (like myself) were shown the door by their respective airlines and went with JBU to continue the career we all love. However, once there, I am happy to be here. I am treated much better than ever before. It is nice to work for an airline that cares about its employees.

However, your attack is ill founded. JetBlue is addressing the whole issue. Yes, they would love to do west coast turns. Most pilots would as well...the productivity is awesome and would allow a 10 day month.

I have some reservations about it. I think long term it will be approved and there will be many restrictions.....restrictions that will in the long run will make it counterproductive. In the meantime they are addressing the dirge of the pilot...the west coast turn with a day sleep and a redeye, which IMO is much more demanding than any west coast turn.

Further, I expect some good will come of this. Perhaps we can get the reduced rest and crappy rest requirements fixed.

In the meantime 787, keep your foul attitude to yourself. It only tarnishes the image of your carrier (whoever that is).

Boomer
[post="260685"][/post]​
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: oh yet another bitter jetblue employee who is angry over being furloughed my a major!!!!!blah blah blah.. ur as transparent as scotch tape!!! jet blue is screwin u and u dont even know it.. so pathetic!

Daedalus said:
  Funny how he hasn't jumped on Southwest for their endorsement to "cherry-pick" the rules regarding the Age-60 proposal.  I think I smell the rotting stench of hypocrisy with DW on this issue.
[post="260585"][/post]​

He hasn't jumped on WN because ALPA is in the process of polling its membership to get a better feel for how the current membership is viewing the age 60 rule. I wouldn't call that hypocrisy.
As for the 8 hour rule, I think it should stand. JB pilots wanting to due transcon turns doesn't warrant a change to current FAR's. IMO, it higly unlikely that the FAA will approve any such measure.

NAPA:

Hardly bitter....in fact quite happy the way things turned out. I could still be at my old job worrying day in and day out that I would get furloughed after 15+ years. Not to worry anymore. It happened and I ended up in a place that I feel has legs for the long haul. No one is bulletproof, including JB.

Boomer

He hasn't jumped on WN because ALPA is in the process of polling its membership to get a better feel for how the current membership is viewing the age 60 rule. I wouldn't call that hypocrisy

I see, DW is taking a page out of Clinton's playbook on "leadership by polling results." Regardless, your example is a bad one since the Age-60 rule has always been sold as a limit based on safety concerns. How does polling the membership make any difference on that regard? BTW, those members who are currently furloughed do not have a vote in this poll. I wonder how they would vote if allowed to do so?

I stand by my previous statement: DW is being a hypocrite on this issue and carries no significant political weight on jetBlue's plans.

Daedalus said:
I see, DW is taking a page out of Clinton's playbook on "leadership by polling results."  Regardless, your example is a bad one since the Age-60 rule has always been sold as a limit based on safety concerns.  How does polling the membership make any difference on that regard?  BTW, those members who are currently furloughed do not have a vote in this poll.  I wonder how they would vote if allowed to do so?

[post="260849"][/post]​

I wasn't giving an example, I was simply stating a fact. ALPA is in the process of polling its members. As a labor organization it is reasonable to assume that they would do this. It has long since been disputed whether or not it is safe to fly past the age of 60. Some say it is safe, some say it isn't. I personally believe that modern medicine has diluted the arguments of the age 60 proponents.
ALPA has a responsibility to determine the desire of the majority of its membership, as it will lobby for one or the other. You are correct that furloughed pilots are not being polled. It is part of ALPA's constitution and bylaws as they are not dues paying members. I believe they should be allowed to vote. Argue that if you will, but it that is a seperate discussion.