Judge Rules That Delta can stay at Love field

Kev3188 said:
Is the Legend Terminal still standing?
The Legend parking garages are still there and being used by the car dealers around Love Field to store over flow of vehicles.  I believe the gates were either completely removed or just shut down. Either way it can very easily be put back into use.  
Kev, just received these two articles where the Judge is asking congress to step in again to fix DAL's restrictions. Pretty interesting if it was to happen some time in the future, but doubtful.  If anything a way for Delta to be able to expand and grow at DAL as well as other airlines that would want to fly to and from DAL...

A judge wants Congress to fix Love Field again, but it's not gonna happen

Local politicians react to judge's opinion to lift restrictions at Dallas Love Field

eolesen said:
My point is you're acting like it's halftime when this was just the coin toss.
Don't much care about your point. I know how the legal system works and what the ruling means. My issue is how you address others.

Yeah, and you've probably figured out I really don't care if you have an issue with how I address others.

You made the inaccurate comment that the ball is in WN's court. That's the one place the ball isn't right now.

WN could offer DL a lease in perpetuity tomorrow, and I'd wager DL still wouldn't be happy with that, because they say they're pigeon-holed today.

I've said all along it is going to take a judge determining if commercial competition trumps the real estate rights of a leaseholder.

dash8roa said:
DAL has a much smaller terminal and not nearly as many gates. Not a valid comparison. To use or misuse 2 gates for 5 daily flights by Delta when SWA can operate many more times that many flights is a waste of space and a disservice to the flying public. Delta dropped their DFW hub,why not go back there and add the flights Delta has at DAL. A city the size of Atlanta should have another commercial airport as does IAH,ORD,LAX,SFO, and others. Delta wants to maintain its current monopoly at ATL by opposing another airport. 
So you just don't know what a monopoly is. 

Google it and get back to me. 

topDawg said:
So you just don't know what a monopoly is. 

Google it and get back to me. 
WN stuck with DAL for years during the foolish Wright amendment and now Delta is crying,where were they during the limited scope of the airport? If all's is fair in love and war, why oppose another airport for Atlanta? Delta wants access to DAL and yet does not want competition at another airport in Atlanta. Delta wants a monopoly in Atlanta which sorely needs another airport given the delays at times. 

dash8roa said:
WN stuck with DAL for years during the foolish Wright amendment and now Delta is crying,where were they during the limited scope of the airport? If all's is fair in love and war, why oppose another airport for Atlanta? Delta wants access to DAL and yet does not want competition at another airport in Atlanta. Delta wants a monopoly in Atlanta which sorely needs another airport given the delays at times. 
BINGO

swamt said:
The Legend parking garages are still there and being used by the car dealers around Love Field to store over flow of vehicles.  I believe the gates were either completely removed or just shut down. Either way it can very easily be put back into use.  
Kev, just received these two articles where the Judge is asking congress to step in again to fix DAL's restrictions. Pretty interesting if it was to happen some time in the future, but doubtful.  If anything a way for Delta to be able to expand and grow at DAL as well as other airlines that would want to fly to and from DAL...

A judge wants Congress to fix Love Field again, but it's not gonna happen

Local politicians react to judge's opinion to lift restrictions at Dallas Love Field
Pretty sure legend is completely done (at least if we want to add gates tomorrow.) 
I do believe Terminal 1 pretty much just needs jetways......

and FWIW what I hope comes from this is WA goes away and a more logical system is in put in place. Example, MDW, a market a lot like Dallas, doesn't have people beating down the door but is fairly open space wise. IMO airlines like AA wouldn't be interested in DAL space if it wasn't such a joke right now. 
Having said that, Delta has a history of flying to these secondary airports. (example, both MDW and HOU) 

PS hey swamt, hope some work is getting done a TA with better pay, work rules, and scope(engines would be nice.....). Pull for you guys to get yours. 

dash8roa said:
Okay few notes. 
First, DL is opposed to a second Atlanta airport being built for G4, only, and paid for by everyone in the state of Georgia, including Delta and its employees. More importantly, the issue was so hot for that city/county that EVERY SINGLE elected official who voted YES was recalled and replaced. Oddly enough every single one of those people voted no. Blame that on Delta if you want, then not only do you need to learn the word monopoly.........you also need to take a basic government class.
Second, If you want to say WN "stuck" with DAL then I say back to you. DL STUCK with LGA/DCA and yet, when DL/US wanted to swap slots at those airport WN came crying, CRYING, to the government how unfair life is. (and thankfully that crying just got VX and B6 more slots ha!) 
and third, You didn't google monopoly....... Delta doesn't have a monopoly in Atlanta. Take a look at how many airlines, flights etc. are in ATL that aren't Delta.........then compare them to DAL. 
More importantly, ATL has plans for more gates(dom and Int) and more runway space. DAL have that or...........?

Oh and one more note, Delta isn't using 2 gates for 5 flights to Atlanta. Delta is using some Virgin and Some Southwest space for its ATL flights. WN has 18 gates of 20 and VX has 2 gates of 20. Simple math says Delta can't possibly have 2 gates right now. 

Hope777 said:
you also need to google monopoly 

Let's not forget that the reason some of those secondary airports are available for DL to fly to is thanks solely to the legal efforts of WN to keep them open to commercial traffic.   Both DAL and HOU were supposed to have strictly private (individual and corporate) a/c landings after DFW and IAH opened.  Don't know about DAL, but until WN moved in and re-decorated, HOU looked more like a bus station than an airport terminal.

Correct, Jim. DAL *is* an airport that WN built thru landing fees, underwriting investments, and bringing businesses back to the property.

DL is a carpetbagger, and only wanted in when they found out that AA wouldn't be there.

Reactions: 2 people
topDawg said:
Pretty sure legend is completely done (at least if we want to add gates tomorrow.) 

**Yes Legend is gone, and has been for some time. Just answering about a question asked about the old Legend terminals and gates across the way.

and FWIW what I hope comes from this is WA goes away and a more logical system is in put in place.

**I agree with you 100% here. Hoping the W/A goes away completely.

PS hey swamt, hope some work is getting done a TA with better pay, work rules, and scope(engines would be nice.....). Pull for you guys to get yours.

**There is progress now that the mediators are in control. However, with that said the co. is going thru each and every single article just to continue there delay tactics a bit longer.   

Oh and one more note, Delta isn't using 2 gates for 5 flights to Atlanta. Delta is using some Virgin and Some Southwest space for its ATL flights. WN has 18 gates of 20 and VX has 2 gates of 20. Simple math says Delta can't possibly have 2 gates right now. 

**Correct. Delta has no gates at DAL. They are actually "sharing" a gate with SWA. Not sure if they are still bouncing from 2 different gates or not (SWA/VX) but they very well still could be.  I do know it is a pain in the butt for Delta to drag out all their temp equipment to set up shop then break it all down and put it all back in the closet until the next day. Seems like a lot of extra work to me for just 5 flts a day.  Delta will never get above the 5 flts they currently have unless one of the 2 other airlines cuts back flts without adding anything new, but I just don't see that happening at DAL any time soon.

eolesen said:
Correct, Jim. DAL *is* an airport that WN built thru landing fees, underwriting investments, and bringing businesses back to the property.

DL is a carpetbagger, and only wanted in when they found out that AA wouldn't be there.
E, you are also correct. Delta has been running scared from AA for years and years here in the DFW area.  I believe it all started around 2004 when Delta practically completely shut down DFW going from 230 to something like 20 flts.  And even after they did that at DFW, they never once screamed about getting into DAL until AA was gone and the WA agreement was finalized...

Reactions: 1 person
topDawg said:

and FWIW what I hope comes from this is WA goes away and a more logical system is in put in place. Example, MDW, a market a lot like Dallas, doesn't have people beating down the door but is fairly open space wise. IMO airlines like AA wouldn't be interested in DAL space if it wasn't such a joke right now. 
Having said that, Delta has a history of flying to these secondary airports. (example, both MDW and HOU) 

Okay few notes. 
First, DL is opposed to a second Atlanta airport being built for G4, only, and paid for by everyone in the state of Georgia, including Delta and its employees. More importantly, the issue was so hot for that city/county that EVERY SINGLE elected official who voted YES was recalled and replaced. Oddly enough every single one of those people voted no. Blame that on Delta if you want, then not only do you need to learn the word monopoly.........you also need to take a basic government class.
Second, If you want to say WN "stuck" with DAL then I say back to you. DL STUCK with LGA/DCA and yet, when DL/US wanted to swap slots at those airport WN came crying, CRYING, to the government how unfair life is. (and thankfully that crying just got VX and B6 more slots ha!) 
and third, You didn't google monopoly....... Delta doesn't have a monopoly in Atlanta. Take a look at how many airlines, flights etc. are in ATL that aren't Delta.........then compare them to DAL. 
More importantly, ATL has plans for more gates(dom and Int) and more runway space. DAL have that or...........?

you also need to google monopoly 

"First, DL is opposed to a second Atlanta airport being built for G4, only"

The airport would be open to all carriers. Like Midway airport, most of the majors are not there but some low coat carriers have set up shop and it gives fliers more options. Delta wants in at DAL but does not want any other airline to set up shop in Atlanta. ATL is a congested airport and like other cities with secondary airports,another Atlanta airport would offer more choices for area travelers.

Reactions: 1 person
Why doesn't WN just buy DAL from the city and take it private?  I think the city would jump at the chance to get out of the airport business--other than DFW.  That's the consummation they so devoutly wished 40 years ago.

For starters, they'd have to pay back all the Federal grants for improvements received at DAL over the years...

Private equity might be able to pull it off, but not WN by itself.