Know Roy Heibel, Trans-quebec Helicopter Pilot?

Sep 7, 2004
I'm looking for anyone who might have known my uncle, Roy Heibel (now deceased), who flew for Canada's Trans-Quebec in the 1970s and early 1980s.

Rocket Roy - that 205 Boy .
I have sent you an email contact me please.
That will be a J. W. Red with one ice cube please.
Cheers
Sharkbait

Make that another one that knew Roy very well and spent many a tour with him under "canvas".

I knew Roy a little. I flew for Quasar from the late 70's to the mid-80's.
We had dinner several times and talked about flying alot. He told me a few good Vietnam stories as well.

His told me that his favourite job was setting hydro poles with the 212. Years later it became one of my favourite jobs as well. Whenever I'm setting poles, I often think of Roy.

Definitely a really nice guy.

ArniePye

I allso worked with Roy at Trans Quebec Helicopters in the mid 70s.Hell of a nice guy.I allways remember the huge gold bracelet he wore.Had some awesome stories about the Vietnam war.
Sharkbait are you sure you are talking about the same Roy.Rocket Roy to me is Roy Mcdonald who was allso there at the same time.
Your Uncle was a good guy.I was in Calgary at the time when he met his missfortune.
Have a good day and rest knowing there are many pilots from the Bay James Daze who remember your Uncle well and had lots of good times with him

Mini...........

Hi Mini:
Don't recall Roy McDonald but that was a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.
Anyhoo I am refering to Roy Hiebel - the rocket part came when he....
A - Snuck up behind me and planted the 205 ( IBT) about 6 inches from the tail of my 206 - the shock wave off the rotor system causing a vibration in the old jetbox that scared the bejesus outa me. I nearly dropped my ( sling ) load. :blink:
B- Backed off and rocketed by me at light speed with a merry wave.
C- Much chuckling in the bar that evening.
Hence Rocket Roy from that day forward.
Sorry if we have nickname duplication. :D
Wasn't that Air America "Crash Bracelet" huge! The gold rolex completed the effect.
I miss the man, his good advice, often most gently offered, when I was planning something stupid and those great stories always told with selfless humour and most containing some good moral.
Cheers
Sharkbait

PS In the new style accepted on this forum we should now start a series of vicious posts calling each other liars, idiots and various other insults which will be interpreted as debate and humorous banter. We should also bemoan our station in life and blame others for our undeserved fate. Those who have no knowledge of you, me or Roy will then take potshots from positions of ambuscade.
Sound like fun?
I think not.
Cheers :up:

There's one man that knew Roy better than almost anyone.......Rodger Ojeiro.......a Phillipino and one-time Crew Chief with Roy during his days with Air America in Laos. He was working for Canadien Helicopters out of Montreal eons ago and I lost him and his whereabouts a number of years ago. Unless they were both out of the bush, seldom did either of them wear those "crash bracelets" and wore the immitations instead. Each "real" bracelet was worth about $3000 USD, based on the price of pure gold during the 60's.

Roy was a good human being and he could have been saved, but wanted his "non-swimming" partner to be saved first..........and he died because he couldn't swim either........but they didn't know that. That says it all about Roy Heibel.

I was one of the many young, low time Jet Danger drivers that worked the line next to Roy almost every day, and I always thought that "when I grow up" I wanted to be just like Roy. Brings back many fond memories of La Baie James (yea sure) Roy taught us all alot about aviation and maybe more importantly, about life.

Someone who would have been very close to Roy on the line was his engineer. I think his name was Mike Clerk.

Twenty plus years later, I think it's time for a (online) reunion maybe.

Cheers

Dc

Daiseycutter:
Online reunion would be nice but we hold TQH reunions in Montreal every couple of years.
All are welcome.
Jimmy's Lagoon
James Bay Daze
A lot of folks got a few thousand hours and moved on ( usually West ) having suppressed the memories of the place - some even deny ever having been there even when shown pictures of themselves with long hair and a beard sitting in a helicopter wiith a Party Naked T - shirt, tattered blue jean shorts and wearing sandals.
Best of times for some of us :up: - some have not so fond memories :down: . It was an unforgetable experience either way. :wacko:

This is way too cool and unbelievable. I'd not been back here for about a month and look at all of you wonderful people! I got chills reading your messages. I'm so happy he was in good company in his fly-boy days and your impressions of him just nail the image of Roy that we've always had...good man, selfless hero, dedicated pilot, loved his friends and family, knew how to have fun. He flew fast, lived hard and unfortunately, died young.

I've heard the "Rocket Roy That 205 Boy" moniker once before and figured there had to be a good story behind it! No one gets a name like that without doing something real brass, a little daring and perhaps a lot stupid! Sounds just like Roy, God love him!

Hey, Sharkbait...is that you, Con? If so, I'm going to go have a JW Red with just one cold clinker right now. And aren't you supposed to be working? Heck, I'm going to have one even if it's not! Cap, ArniePye, Mini, Sharkbait, Daiseycutter, c'mon now...I've just got to hear some more!

Don'tcha know your "under canvas, hydro poles, Bay James Daze, Le Baie James and immitation crash bracelets" are all lost on this land-lubbing girl; so cut me in, okay? I want to hear it all: good, bad and ugly! It won't mar how I feel about Roy or any of you; I love you all and we (myself a tied-dyed, pig-tailed, music-lovin', peace-sign-wearin', flag-wavin' brat of 14!) were all victims of time and circumstance. Some just came out prettier than others. But it's the memories that keep us going, one day at a time.

By the way, the links of the real bracelet were divvied up between Roy's nieces and nephews. Still got mine; don't have the heart to melt it down into a wearable piece of art. I keep it with a photo of him in the cockpit, gold bracelet peaking out under the cuff of his flight jacket. It's solid like he was. And as for the Harrison Lake thing, I've been told that Roy punched one of the guys trying to help him get out and motioned upward to tell them to go ahead and go without him, he'd be okay. Even under the spell of hypothermia, he was a standup guy. So many stories...please keep them coming. They give us all a bit of warmth and closure.

transquebecniece -------you heard correctly about Roy and "the punch" in Harrison Lake. That punch cost him his life because it was then assumed that he could swim.......and couldn't at all......in cold or warm waters.

You want a story about Roy? I'll give you one passed on to me by one Rodger Ojeiro.

Rodger was Roy's Crewchief at Air America and this story happened in Laos. They were assigned to go to some location and p/u some local friendly Laotian politicos in the jungle. Rodger said that they never knew when it might be a "set-up" to "sucker then in" or some "rouse" whereby the p/u was above-board, but the person(s) to be p/u were being used as "bait" to wait until the a/c landed and then "take out" everyone plus the aircrew and a/c.

They found the spot, landed and 3-4 old guys (village elders) get in. He's down below and advises Roy through the i/c that he can t/o and get the hell outta there because Rodger is real nervous. At that instant, they start to receive "incoming" small arms fire and all Hell breaks loose. They get hit in the hydraulics, fluid is pumping all over the place and he figures the tanks have been hit bad because he got a strong small of fuel. He advises Roy that maybe they should find another place nearby, set it down and hope for the best. He said Roy replied in the calmest voice that he wasn't setting anything down, anywhere and to keep him up to date on what was transpiring down below. He said that he'd shut off the hydraulics and leave whatever pressure he might have to land back at their base because that's exactly where he was aiming for. Rodger said at that point all he could do was retrun fire with the mounted SMG and hope they could get airborne and outta there.

They made it somehow and Roy used what pressure he had left just before they ditched it back at base. He said he couldn't figure out how he was able to fly the s.o.b. Rodger said that the whole thing "blew his mind" because Roy was "as calm as Hell" during the whole thing and climbed out of the a/c back at base, dusted himself off and was still "calm as Hell". He said that as long as he knew and flew with Roy, he figured he had ice in his veins because he just never got "rattled". He said though, that if Roy ever got mad, it was best to find some place to hide because someone was about to get a verbal or physical thrashing "bigtime".

Roy's opinion of Rodger also showed that he also held him in high esteem. The only relatives that Rodger or I ever heard Roy speak about, was a sister in Minnisota, who he corresponded with quite often.....and I believe that's where Roy from from anyway....I could be wrong on that though.

It's a great story, Cap! I've heard a few similar ones from different areas of Southeast Asia but they all point to no panic under fire. It was only on his visits home after the war that we noticed little changes in his quiet calm. It was hard for a bunch of little kids (13 of us cousins in all) who just worshipped him to understand why we couldn't sneak up on him to jump on him or make loud noises anymore; he seemed a little more anxious but we always managed to help him let his guard down. His calm in the storm was his survival mechanism and he was always the calm in the storm of the kids OR he was causing the ruckus just like a kid himself.

His sister is my aunt and they were indeed close as the siblings closest in age; I was named after her. Roy was my dad's baby brother. All four brothers are together again now, hoisting bottomless beers and shooters, fishing for the biggest pike and b.s.ing without end I've no doubt. All were Army vets but Roy was the only pilot. As the baby, the bachelor and the lover of life on the edge, we all worried endlessly about him. Most of the time we never knew where he was because he couldn't tell anyone where he was, so there's a big Roy void from the late 60s to the early 70s, and even a little into the late 70s when he was back in Canada. Course, he was tied up at James Bay awhile I hear. Last time I saw him was in 1974 or 1975; it was after Saigon but before James Bay, but I could have my years wrong. We all have fond memories of his visits to MN and CO, though. Gosh we had fun! Those death cannot ever steal.

But I have to say that I never knew he couldn't swim. I've never heard anyone in the family say that either. He grew up on the Mississippi River in the land of 10,000 lakes for crying out loud! And I saw him swimming, water skiiing and hanging out on the river and lakes countless times! Heck, he used to throw us kids in the river and the lake at my aunt's and I know he wouldn't have done that if he weren't 100% certain he could save us if he had to! Nope. That's a new one on me! Hmmm. That's the strangest thing I've ever heard methinks; gotta look into that one!

I am thankful for your story. And thankful that you remember Roy and are willing to share. Hope life's been good to you and yours. If you get time and feel like sharing, I'd love to know about your work with Roy. I wonder if Rodger's still around; and he had the bracelet, too? What was the story behind that thing anyway? An Air America "gift?" Roy told us it was from a girlfriend and that he had girlfriends all over the world; "Oh Lord, it's hard to be humble!" he would add. We never believed him though. He had his love: flying! Now don't forget to tell me about those tours "under canvas!" Be good, Cap!

transquebecniece ------ I didn't get it from Roy that he couldn't swim.......that I got second-hand. Regardless of whether he could or not, Harrison Lake, BC can be one cold body of water and he would have started to "seize-up" real quick. The story about Laos was told to me by Rodger as I mentioned. I put veracity in the story because that aptly described the Roy I knew, plus we had "touched" on a few places and incidents from those days. I say "touched" because I had also did 2 tours myself and one always keeps to "people stories", a/c stories, places you were stationed and the humour that one could always remember. There were areas that we didn't "go" in our chats about "old times" because they served no useful purpose. Roy was still "hurting", but he suffered in silence and was dealing with "it" and winning.Those types of chats were always just him, me and a bottle of "nectar of the Gods". Your uncle Roy couldn't "walk on water" by any means, but he was an excellent personality to serve time with in an isolated situation, enjoy meals with, learn something from and always was the consumate "pro". It's truly unfortunate that few in number, in the world of aviation this side of the border, got to know or meet him.

I have no idea at all where Rodger might be. He could well have returned back to the Phillipines (which I doubt) or got out of the business and be residing in Montreal . I suspect strongly that Rodger can be found working internationally for some helicopter company........or retired. He was about the same age as Roy (maybe a shade younger) and we're talking early 70's now when I last saw him. Age isn't kind to aviation folks and he might be sitting on some varanda right now drinking a shot of Mascal somewheres because his "dues are all paid up" :D .

The "crash bracelets" I know about first-hand. Not because I wore one, but it was well known while I served there, why Air America pilots had them.......and you are correct.....Roy "fudged" his story to save obvious explanation and resultant concerns by his relatives (that's just an educated guess).

The bracelets were 24kt pure gold. They were worth $3000 USD at 1960's gold prices.......$35 USD/troy aounce. They had the Air America crest engraved upon them so that even if someone couldn't read, they would know the crest (it mightn't have been that well known over here, but in SE Asia EVERYONE knew that crest). In the event that any aircrew were shot down and/or became a prisoner, that bracelet would "buy their freedom". There was no absolute guarantee of that, but everyone knew that gold would buy you ANYTHING during those days in SE Asia. So that bracelet was Roy's "life-line" to home because he couldn't depend on his Embassey or "Uncle Sam" to even acknowledge his existance if caught by the Pathot Lao. If you ever held it, you had no doubt that it was pure something because it was damn heavy and that's part of the reason that he wore the imitation that was made of some other sort of gray metal, quite a bit lighter and also with the Air America crest engraved on it.

I'm ashamed to say that I don't know where Roy is buried and I'm wondering if you might let me know. If it's in Minnesota, then that would be great because I ain't that far away and know the territory well.

Good morning, Cap. I like a guy who tells it like it is! When you have a family hero who dies so young, it can often be difficult separating the man from the myth as years go by so I appreciate your candor.

The bracelet makes complete sense now. Never saw him without the real one or with the immitation stateside. We brats would climb on Roy when he was sleeping to read his tags and inspect the watch and bracelet but we knew to leave them alone. He never told us to leave them alone; somehow we just knew there was sentimental value there and that they were hard-earned. We couldn't wait for him to wake; he was too fun! So we'd pull his nose hairs or tweak his nose while he pretended to sleep and when he had enough, he'd growl and toss us off the bed in a heap of flailing arms and legs. And his shoes. They were always neatly stashed nearby at the ready. Funny the things you remember.

So you were in SE Asia too, a pilot as well. AA? Ravens? Did you work for Trans-Quebec, Quasar, Canadien Helicopters? And in Canada, did you fly/work with Roy? At the risk of being too snoopy, I'd love to hear more about your SE Asia missions and your work in private if you care to share. And those tours "under canvas." I'm guessing that's bar time, yes? :) And are you still flying? If I ask too much, just say the word!

I'd also like to learn more about the James Bay Project and exactly what that was about. I could easily research it, but I'd rather hear about it from the guys who worked on it. And I'd like to learn more from anyone who knew about Roy's flying copters for Hollywood once or twice. I'd heard he flew during the shooting of John Wayne's Green Berets and roomed with actor David Jansen. Kinda interesting but I can't imagine when he would've had time for it!

Roy's interred at Ft. Snelling National Cemetery in St. Paul; it's a huge place. Not sure I could even find his grave anymore! Always good chatting with you!

Tranquebecniece-------i'm just a plain old Canadian with duel citizenship because my Mom was born in a place called Ft. Warren, MA. That's an island in Boston Harbour that was a military base since Civil War days. So I Kid her now that she's so old that they turned her birthplace into a museum and National Park, which it is.

My time was in the 9th Air Cav, 1st Air Cav Division. I pre-dated Roy's entry by some time. He did his tour and then went looking for the "big money". He did his service mostly on Vertols and Chinooks......I did all of mine on the various Hueys (204's & 5's to you). I came home on a stretcher to re-cuperate for 6 months..... Roy went to the Air America HQ in northern Laos.

Of the companies you mentioned, I worked for Canadien (which was a division of Okanagan Helicopters of BC) and Trans-Quebec. "Under canvas" was exactly that......in a tent (non-insulated), with plywood floors, sides and a space heater in the middle, measuring about 16' x 24' (summer AND the bitter cold of winter). We were very snug, so don't go thinking we suffered at all. Privacy was in very short supply and "getting along" was of paramount importance. Roy and I had recently come from "similar living conditions", so it wasn't a "big leap" for us.

Don't know anything about Roy doing film work at any time and he never mentioned anything in that regard at all. The war in Rhodesia was going on at that time and I know that he was approached by "certain people" about going there.....which he turned down. That was not that unusual because those "certain people" actively recruited in Canada during the late 60's and early 70's.

The James Bay Power Project was a very large project that involved the building of roads, bridges and 5 dams. It's "hayday" was between '69 - and the late 70's. It went longer, but those were its' best days.

I know well where the Cemetary is and there'll be a visit made. Yes, I'm still flying and if you got more questions, PM me and we'll carry on. :)