Latin, Caribbean from FLL

WorldTraveler said:
One more gateway for WN growth in AA's backyard. FLL to Latin America and the Caribbean will be highly competitive among low fare carriers. WN obviously sees huge growth in Latin America with Texas and Florida serving as major gateways.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/broward/fl-southwest-terminal-makeover-20131210,0,5567298.story

Ohmigosh, five… FIVE WHOLE intl gates? Goodness me. And MIA is only the second largest international gateway in the entire United States, behind JFK. What will they do?!

• Banned
well I suppose they will have to compete, don't you think?

WN and B6 are not likely to compete for deep S. America. But when you add in WN's growth at HOU and B6's own int'l gates at FLL, there is more capacity coming to Latin America.

You might like to blow the growth of LCCs into Latin America as no big deal, but WN and B6 both know full well the opportunities that are available, esp. as Open Skies have opened up most of Latin America to a lot more competition.

Add in that MIA functions as a hub for AA which means that about 2/3 of the traffic they carry to Latin America via MIA doesn't originate in S. Florida and it doesn't take too much capacity from competitors to begin to effect AA's revenues in a region which AA has dominated for decades.

Tell me how many US carrier flights per week there were from S. Florida to Latin America just 5 years ago, 2 years ago? Now consider that B6 and WN could both be adding 30-40 flights/day from FLL and the increase is dramatic.

This doesn't even factor in MCO which are also seeing growing amounts of LFC service to Latin America nor does it factor in any UC carrier growth that might occur right at MIA.

WN knows where the future growth for its company is and Latin America is a huge part of it. WN won't be alone.

Back