DavidRandles

Nov 2, 2017
Hi everyone,

I'm a master student looking for a sample of research data for my thesis on aircraft lavatories. The research is about the cleanliness of lavatories and how passengers use them.

If you are interested in helping please get in touch or take my survey:
https://goo.gl/forms/QbKSAbrbYUM201Hl1

Also I'm brand new to this forum so I welcome any advice on how to get my research to more people or if anyone is aware of other threads/forums please let me know.

Thanks everyone!

Hi everyone,

I'm a master student looking for a sample of research data for my thesis on aircraft lavatories. The research is about the cleanliness of lavatories and how passengers use them.

If you are interested in helping please get in touch or take my survey:
https://goo.gl/forms/QbKSAbrbYUM201Hl1
they're disgusting and filthy. everybody knows that. Should be a real short thesis. How about doing a thesis on how many rampers have had a blue shower because someone downline charged the lav latch.

they're disgusting and filthy. everybody knows that. Should be a real short thesis. How about doing a thesis on how many rampers have had a blue shower because someone downline charged the lav latch.
Funny you say that before the merger with LUS I was on the aircraft appearance team I was also responsible for ordering all things on the aircraft toilet paper, cleaners Lavatory soap you name it. At US we contracted out the work, there were specific guidelines for the contractor to follow specific to each type of implements and cleaners to clean each fixture. The sinks had one type and toilets another and door knobs still another. On airplanes that stayed overnight there was a more detailed cleaning. The contract employee would check off each thing he did on a prepared list, his supervisor would have another list and check the work done. The next day a gate agent who was assigned an earlier shift would come in and check the work and mark the work satisfactory or not I would then have to enter information into a data base for corporate this was for each RON everyday. On top of that there were auditors who would come in sometimes unannounced and check all our work and were real nitpickers. If you were to fail an audit or not do so well you would here it from management, of course my end of the job always passed with flying colors. and last but not least every week we would have vending meetings and discussed any problems with the contractor. All this kind of faded with the merger I'm sure they do have some type of program but I'm not involved.

Reactions: xUT
I used to make the blue juice on the RON heavy clean. I witnessed unchanged wastewater stained with more blue concentrate in order to get it done quicker. You should be more concerned with algae and mold growing in the potable water tanks. Its just that I am not sure its at all potable. The tanks are seldom cleaned. I think it a good solution to put Ecowater dispensers onboard and work out the weight and balance. The logistics of this are worth looking at.

The regional airlines typically do the bare minimum. Please don't take it out on the employees. These sorts of things happen when you farm out jobs to contractors. They have a hard life. The lavatory plastics are wiped down with disinfectant spray during the overnight clean. A ship that has been flying all day will often need intermediary service and its not at all uncommon to find splatter on the moldings.

Please respect the seat belt sign. Its no joke. During extended turbulence its feasible that you may need to pee in a cup so please plan accordingly. This sort of thing is rare and highly publicized but the employees have to pee in a cup too so they understand. I know of one instance where a man had to relieve himself in a black garbage bag (who does number one work for ?, number 2 ). A ship may be dispatched with an inoperative lavatory necessitating this rare exchange without the requisite privacy.

Please encourage your readers not to have sexual relations in the lavatory. Its not the thrill that Urban legend portrays it to be and its likely very dirty.

Last edited:
As a working lead, I helped two guys pull the aft cans outa 737 aircraft during a heavy. After we got the 'modules' out and headed for sheet metal, these two guys finished pulling out the remaining floor pans........lunch time...these two guys sat there in the aft section and ate their lunches with the same ungloved hands.....

As a working lead, I helped two guys pull the aft cans outa 737 aircraft during a heavy. After we got the 'modules' out and headed for sheet metal, these two guys finished pulling out the remaining floor pans........lunch time...these two guys sat there in the aft section and ate their lunches with the same ungloved hands.....

I worked with a guy that enjoyed LAV duty. The truck looked like something out of Fred Sanford's junkyard and he would eat a bologna sandwich out of nitrile blue gloved hands while watching for bits and pieces flowing into the clear plastic slinky hose. He was a quiet German fella who enjoyed the detail very much and would report a pre charged blue shower to corporate any time it occurred.

He telexed headquarters on the night Chicago dispatched a 757 with fecal matter in pit 5. I guess this was corporate's response to his telex.

This one time, a fitting in the aft LAV leaked and made its way into a DC 9 aft compartment; leaking sewage on the passenger's bags. Thinking ahead of management in typical fashion, my German friend put nitrile gloves on each bag before placing them on the belt.

Last edited:

The goal of the thesis is working towards improving the cleanliness. If you think they're disgusting and filthy then I have plenty of work to do! But I'm wondering what makes you feel like they are disgusting. Have you had bad personal experiences?

The goal of the thesis is working towards improving the cleanliness. If you think they're disgusting and filthy then I have plenty of work to do! But I'm wondering what makes you feel like they are disgusting. Have you had bad personal experiences?

They are used by passengers who do not always have the best sanitation practices in mind.