LAX Expansion Announcement

Yeah, they confirmed it now that it's out. They admitted it was a little "early" for the announcement. They are going to "officially" announce it later.

Reactions: 1 person
IORFA said:
Looks like an IT slip up was caught this morning. IF true, looks like HKG-LAX starts September 7th. I tried to post a screen shot, however it is too big for this site. Sorry.
Someone grabbed it during the overnight hours and posted it to Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1751575-lax-hkg-w-77w-announced-starting-7-september-2016-a.html

I think LAX-HKG is good news, but there is the issue of that HKG-based airline that flies it four times daily and generally enjoys a reputation for superior inflight service. I get how DFW-HKG service can succeed, but LAX? There are lots of people who say "if you're going to buy First or Business Class to Hong Kong, you'd need to have your head examined if you don't buy a ticket on Cathay Pacific."

There are some people who find the Cathay-style service basically over-attentive and prefer the laid-back AA style, where the crew doesn't pounce to refill your beverage every time you take a sip.

For me, if Parker steps up the premium cabin service a bit in terms of food/beverage quality and choices such as the new Sydney F and J service, then I think AA can survive going head to head with CX.

AA 777-300s are very lavishly equipped by AA standards. I hear AA ordered them as near identical as Cathay 777s. If so, than Cathay will have no edge in that area.

lpbrian said:
AA 777-300s are very lavishly equipped by AA standards. I hear AA ordered them as near identical as Cathay 777s. If so, than Cathay will have no edge in that area.
Well, there's a lot more to consider than just having the same seat...

I've done a half-dozen RT's on Cathay in J and their service is impeccable. And yes, it can be over-attentive to some, but I'd rather say "no thanks" a couple times than have to get up, walk into the galley, and hope there's a FA available to refill my drink or get something from the on-request menu.

Reactions: 2 people
Yes, the seats are practically identical. That's why I didn't focus on the seating or even mention the seats. The onboard service is the distinguishing factor. Food, beverages and the young Chinese flight attendants (sexist as that may be). CX won't outfit its cabins with overweight grandmas who view overseas flights as a chance to catch up with their old grandma friends and fill their suitcases with crap they can sell on ebay (their "thriving home-based businesses"). Unfortunately, AA has a few of those. They're the ones who hurry thru meal services so they can get back to their People or US Magazine or their next month's bid sheets. You won't find those on CX.

The Cathay Pacific flight attendants are actually supervised during the flight by a supervisor - something no USA-based flight attendant group would ever permit. Want the advertised turn-down service? AA FAs will do it, but some don't even try to hide their surly attitude. Just show me where the stuff is and I'll make up my own bed.

No doubt, some Cathay Pacific FAs think as little of the customers as some AA FAs do, but they would never let it show. Throughout the flight - service with a (forced) smile.

How to fix that? Dunno.

Edit: AA has put out a very hastily-prepared press release:

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/american-airlines-responds-to-customer-demand-with-new-service-from-los-angeles-to-hong-kong

It doesn't have the polish of the typical press release. Blame it on the nerdy aa.com computer people who jumped the gun. :D