Lax Expansion?

sfb said:
Actually, if PSA, America West, AirCal and Southwest were T-1 tenants at its opening, then the list of tenants has changed very little (aside from AirCal being absorbed by AA). USAir bought PSA, after all. T-1 is unsuitable for international carriers since it has no customs facilities and the gates are pretty tightly-spaced.

I would think that US and HP would be glad to be out of T-1, given what I've heard about the security lines...
Trust me, they WERE the original T-1 occupants. 1984 is still pretty recent history for some of us... B)

"Tightly-spaced" is truly the correct term. as the "Airline" episode featuring the "you're not a true ramper until you can do the pushback from Gate 3" storyline showed quite well. Gates 1 and 2 are also a tight fit, as well as feeling claustrophobic due to their lack of windows in the gate areas.

Maybe I've just been leading a charmed life, or fly at optimum times/days, but the multiple times I've departed from LAX on WN since you-know-when I've never had more than a five minute wait at security.

mga707 said:
Unless I'm sorely mistaken, the inflatable "Hefty bag" terminal was at T-2, not T-1.
Ya know, you may be right. My recollection was that it was the first terminal you come to, so I naturally remembered it as T-1.

I think the deal with DL in T6 is that they only use T6 for the morning push. CO is down to 3-4 gates, and who knows what else is used by whom and when.

phllax said:
I think the deal with DL in T6 is that they only use T6 for the morning push. CO is down to 3-4 gates, and who knows what else is used by whom and when.
The only other airline in T6 is UA.

CO only has +/- 18 flights per day from LAX (depending on the day you're talking about). I've never seen DL use T6 during the day. UA and CO are currently the only significant operators in T6, and UA also can use T7 & T8. US will have enough gate space to use without anyone having to move (although in CO's case, I'd trade in T6 for T1).

The current plan to demolish Terminals 1, 2, and 3 is currently undergoing heavy criticism (and rightly so), as being too costly and not adding enough capacity. I don't think I'd count on any of these terminals being demolished any time soon.

As far as I've heard, CO is pretty happy right where they are in T-6. I doubt they'd be able to squeeze into the gates being vacated at T-1 by US. And besides, I thought they continued to enjoy some right to remain in T-6 by virtue of being the original primary tenant there. (someone please correct me if I'm wrong!) That location is certainly convenient for them with respect to the alliance with DL.

I haven't been to LAX since 1999 since I can't really say much about the current security line situation... I'm only repeating what I've heard. I can certainly speak volumes about the atrocious security lines for the main DL/CO concourse in Terminal C at BOS, though. :angry:

Back