Lax T-3

cws818

Mar 13, 2004
LAX/EUG/BCN
Visit site
Hello there,

Everytime I am flying out of LAX on AS, I tend to take a quick stroll around T3 (perhaps I just like to see the quaint squalor :rolleyes: ) and I have a couple of questions (hopefully they are not too irrelevant!)

First, although I have never seen an AS plane there, Gate 38 does have an Alaska podium - do they actually use Gate 38???

Second, when they took over Gates 32, 33, 34 from American, did they sub-lease the gates or acquire control over them outright?

And finally, has anybody in charge of maintainence in T3 ever thought of putting in brighter light bulbs?? Maybe its better if they dont, though - its harder to see all the dirt in the dark!

many thanks,
cws

It sure shows its old age doesn't it? Many years of negligence by TWA didn't help any. I'm sure in 1975 it was quite modern. :)

Yes, it certainly does. The west/left side of the Terminal was rather nice when I used to fly TWA on their long-gone LAX-PHL nonstops, while the east/right side of Terminal 3 where Eastern and Piedmont used to be was always a bit dingier. By the time I flew TW from LAX-LHR in '87, however, age was beginning to show. What they need now, I think, is a Bissell machine. I don't think that there is a more dismal place at LAX, except for Terminal 6, which has a rather unpleasant odor to it.

I'm surprised AS is not in the same terminal with AA now that they are doing so much codesharing. I guess it makes too much sense!

AAmech said:
I'm surprised AS is not in the same terminal with AA now that they are doing so much codesharing. I guess it makes too much sense!
It certainly would make a good deal of sense for AA and AS to co-locate their facilities, but I don't see how they could at LAX, given the current setup.
In Terminal 3, Alaska has 39 flights, and Horizon Air has 5, for a total of 44 flights out of 7 gates (30, 31a, 31b, 31c, 32, 33, 34).
In Terminal 4, American has 90 flights, while Qantas has 7, for a total of 97 flights out of 13 gates (40, 41, 42a, 42b, 43, 45, 46a, 46b, 47a, 47b, 48a, 48b, 49a).
Before AA moved most of the west coast flights over to T3 (in 2000), Terminal 4 handled all of the existing (pre-QQ) AA flights, PLUS the flights to Las Vegas, Reno, Colo. Sprs., etc... Flying out of Terminal 4 in late 1999 and you were bound to run into gate delays because the schedule was so jam-packed. So, unless they can build an airside connection between 3 &4, AA-AS transfers at LAX are going to be a pain.
But, there is certainly quite a bit of potential for alignment of facilities between the two. Right now, I think they are only co-located in Chicago, Seattle, Denver, Long Beach, Burbank, Orange Cty, and Orlando. I'm sure that with the new MIA terminal coming along, AS could move its 2 flights over to AA territory, and with NW moving to Concourse D @ PDX for their new Tokyo flights, AA could possibly swap gates with the existing NW facilities on Concourse C, to better align with AS.

cws818 said:
Second, when they took over Gates 32, 33, 34 from American, did they sub-lease the gates or acquire control over them outright?
When the TWA lease on T3 expired a few years before its demise, the airport took control of T3. All the airlines operating out of it pay rent directly to the City of Los Angeles. Gates are supposed to be assigned on an as needed basis, so, in theory, any flight by any airline operating in and out of T3 may be assigned to any open gate.

Actually, for most flights now, Qantas uses T4. They do still use the Bradley Terminal for a couple flights (forget which flight #s). When you check in at T4, there is a big sign saying which Qantas flights leave from TBIT and which ones leave from T4.

biztraveller29 said:
Actually, for most flights now, Qantas uses T4. They do still use the Bradley Terminal for a couple flights (forget which flight #s). When you check in at T4, there is a big sign saying which Qantas flights leave from TBIT and which ones leave from T4.
All Qantas arrivals are in T4. Their departures to Sydney and JFK depart from T4, while Melbourne and Auckland are at the Bradley terminal.

TWAnr said:
When the TWA lease on T3 expired a few years before its demise, the airport took control of T3. All the airlines operating out of it pay rent directly to the City of Los Angeles. Gates are supposed to be assigned on an as needed basis, so, in theory, any flight by any airline operating in and out of T3 may be assigned to any open gate.
The port gave those gates to AS last year with a use them or loose them clause. Not sure how long we have to start excercising those gates before they go away.

TWAnr said:
Wow, just what I was looking for - thanks! So, then in theory, AA (were its LAX gate needs to increase), could return to T3 when and where space were available?

FWIW, there's also a rumor going around that AWA will be moving to T3 in the next few months.

It is very plausable that AWA will be moving to T3 soon. They have outgrown their 2 gates in T1, and are adding additional service to Canada and Mexico via Mesa, and T1 is a domestic arrivals facility only.

Hmmm, with US' impending move to co-locate with United in T6, it looks like HP and US are giving WN carte blanche to really expand at LAX, given that T1 would be ALL Southwest.

phllax said:
It is very plausable that AWA will be moving to T3 soon. They have outgrown their 2 gates in T1, and are adding additional service to Canada and Mexico via Mesa, and T1 is a domestic arrivals facility only.
T3 is an all domestic arrivals facility, too. So, FIS wouldnt be a reason for HP to hoof it from 1 to 3. I had heard they were planning to use T2 for their Mexico arrivals, which seems plausible.
HP no longer uses just 2 gates (9, 11) in T1 - they also use Gate 13 frequently and sometimes will use 3B or 4B. If US vacates, they would certainly be able to get a bit more space. Also, where in T3 would they move to? AS has a pretty full sched. and ATA seems to be ramping up as well....