LGA Expansion

CLTRob

May 14, 2010
Yesterday, DAL announced the termination of three daily flights from LGA to YOW. This comes after last weeks anouncement of the termination of five daily flights from LGA to PHL. Since the build-up at LGA, DAL has also terminated LGA to ALB, MYR and DAY. Any idea where DAL might use these slots? Are the slots "use them or lose them"?

There have been several changes regarding the use of the slots that were just acquired but DL is adding service to a number of Florida markets in the next few months.
There will most certainly be add'l markets where they will drop flights but there will also be those where they will stick it out w/ very low load factors and may add additional flights w/ perhaps equally low loads for strategic reasons.

DL made a comment about pulling about 8% of NYC local passengers that previously used EWR over to LGA... not sure of the complete context but DL has a larger footprint at LGA than any carrier has ever had and it will take time to sort it all out and see what works.

DL also is running a hub at JFK which works differently in some respects but does the same thing in other respects.

And, yes, there is a fair amount of slack in slot utilization requirements - including, I believe - most flights do not need to be flown on Saturday in order to meet slot usage requirements.

I don't believe that they will pull that much if anything away from EWR. The NY airports are a PITA to get to from certain areas, and people migrate to EWR because of it. I know of many people who live in NY, and go to EWR because it's more convienent for them to do so. The only reason to choose LGA over EWR in this case would be for a destination not being available out of EWR, and that will never be the case.

I can only go by the comments that were made -and I am not sure of the context in which they were made.

But, LGA has been an airport with the service divided between many carriers... much like BOS and LAX are. There were some route duplications but for the most part, carriers - esp. the network/legacy carriers marked out their territory and each stayed in their own "box"

Just as US has turned DCA into a hub and changed the dynamics there, DL is doing the same thing at LGA. Given that so much of LGA traffic is tied to corporate contracts which do favor larger carriers in a specific market, there is a good chance that there will be some significant movements in the market.

It will obviously take some time for us to publicly see the results but DL has been saying for quite some time that they are shifting corporate traffic in the NYC area and improving their financial results.
LGA is the preferred airport for the NYC area for markets w/in the perimeter. Even CO's IAH-LGA flight generated more local revenue that IAH-EWR.

DL did show their market share shifts at LGA and it is coming from US (expected) and AA.

There have been several changes regarding the use of the slots that were just acquired but DL is adding service to a number of Florida markets in the next few months.
There will most certainly be add'l markets where they will drop flights but there will also be those where they will stick it out w/ very low load factors and may add additional flights w/ perhaps equally low loads for strategic reasons.

DL made a comment about pulling about 8% of NYC local passengers that previously used EWR over to LGA... not sure of the complete context but DL has a larger footprint at LGA than any carrier has ever had and it will take time to sort it all out and see what works.

DL also is running a hub at JFK which works differently in some respects but does the same thing in other respects.

And, yes, there is a fair amount of slack in slot utilization requirements - including, I believe - most flights do not need to be flown on Saturday in order to meet slot usage requirements.

Did you go to the Alan Greenspan school of explaining stuff?

Reactions: 1 person
Did you go to the Alan Greenspan school of explaining stuff?
If the objective is to exchange information, then I contributed to the discussion.

You are welcome to do the same.

One sentence replies usually are not capable of imparting a whole lot of light.

Yet contributes nothing to the discussion which is about the LGA expansion which is the topic being discussed here.

For a midsize state capital, MSN obviously has a well-rounded domestic market.

MSN is a solid station for adding excess capacity.

Yet contributes nothing

"Franklin Roosevelt, the thirty-second President of the United States believed that most people were poor listeners, especially when it came to making small talk. Every so often, to prove his point and amuse himself, he would greet houseguests with, "I murdered my grand-mother this morning." The usual response was a puzzled yet polite nod of approval. However, one evening a guest greatly impressed him when she smiled and said, "I'm sure she had it coming."

Yes. Off topic. The ice is very thick, yet I keep chopping away.

Reactions: 1 person

Latest posts