lots of fuel stops for B6

MiAAmi

Veteran
Aug 21, 2002
www.usaviation.com
from Airliners.net

Obviously all the flights are heading westbound. The jet stream is much stronger than normal today and yesterday. This can't help B6's fuel costs or on time percentage any.

Diversions so far tonight:
Flight# City Pair Diverted(ing) to
351 JFK-BUR LAS
93 JFK-OAK LAS (SLC last night)
205 JFK-LGB LAS
169 JFK-OAK LAS (DEN last night)
355 JFK-BUR LAS (PHX last night, DTW on the 13th)
489 JFK-LGB LAS (LAS last night, OKC on the 14th)
306 IAD-LGB LAS
359 JFK-BUR LAS
95 JFK-OAK LAS (LAS last night, DEN on the 14th)
181 JFK-SAN PHX
221 JFK-LGB PHX (LAS last night)
219 JFK-LGB PHX (LAS last night)
481 BOS-LGB SLC (DEN last night)
475 BOS-OAK SLC (DEN last night, DEN on the 14th)
101 JFK-OAK SLC (DEN last night)
209 JFK-LGB SLC (PHX yesterday)
471 BOS-SJC SLC (DEN yesterday, DEN on the 14th)
215 JFK-LGB SLC (PHX yesterday)
357 JFK-BUR SLC (DEN yesterday)
91 JFK-OAK SLC (PHX yesterday, DEN on the 14th)
173 JFK-SJC SLC (DEN yesterday)
107 JFK-OAK SLC (LAS yesterday, DEN on the 14th)
477 BOS-OAK SLC (OKC yesterday, DEN on the 14th)
185 JFK-SAN SLC (PHX yesterday)
171 JFK-SMF SLC (SLC on the 14th)
217 JFK-LGB DEN (LAS yesterday)
321 IAD-OAK DEN
89 JFK-ONT DEN (LAS yesterday)
483 JFK-LAS DEN

Its crazy they can't operate their coast to coast flights better than that. Passangers must have been livid.

That's because they're flying the A320. I wonder if US Airways is having the same problem?

This is a great way for B6 to build their loyal passenger club! :up:

WOW! That's a lot of flights.

What's even more interesting is that many diverted to LAS, but still the JFK-LAS had to divert to DEN... doesn't make sense to me.

What is the deal there? Do the other transcon A320 operators (UA, US) have this rate of fuel diversions?

IAD, PHL and CLT are a little further west, but they aren't that far west.

What is the deal there? Do the other transcon A320 operators (UA, US) have this rate of fuel diversions?

The difference may be that Jetblue has 156 seats and USair and UA have 132 seats. If the flights are full that is an additional 5,400 lbs of weight that Jetblue is carrying.

Personally, if you have an aircraft that is truly transcon capable, than that aircraft should be able to go up against a 150kt jetstream and make it with some room to spare. Anything over that is difficult.

I rarely hear about the 737/700 operators having this much trouble making it non-stop.

They might be just that far west to make the difference. I don't think UA operates 320s transcon from BOS/JFK/EWR -- at least it didn't when I was there -- only 757s/767s (and maybe the odd 777/744, at least from IAD). UA 320s only operate transcon from PHL/BWI/IAD, and in my years at UA I never knew of a fuel diversion on those routes.

(Edited to add:) Just noticed the IAD-LAS/OAK diversions on JB. Can't explain that except for maybe the seating count someone mentioned.

Having 24 more seats and flying from BOS/JFK is a difference maker. 5400 lbs of extra weight when flying transcon in a 150kt plus jetstream.

It has been a very difficult last couple of months for Jetblue. E190 reliability issues, lackluster on-time performance, terrible 4th quarter results and forecast for 2006, the blizzard of 2006 and now jetstream issues that is resulting in multiple fuelstops.

Much is on the plate at Jetblue. Lot's of growth, new aircraft, etc. They are a good airline to be sure, but they will now need to find a way to manage through some troubled times. The question is, can they? My guess is probably, but have they bitten off more than they can chew?

Nope, not with the 321 either.

Actually the one time in my six years on the Airbus(between two companies) that I had to divert was when I worked for U. It happened PHL-SFO on a 32o.
In my 3.5 years at B6 I have never had to make a stop for fuel and I fly transcons 95% of the time. I've seen this happen maybe once or twice a year in my time at B6. Unfortunately when it happens it does for a few days in a row.

On a related note the flyoff between two new winglet designs for the 320 will take place soon over the next few months. If everything goes to plan that will be a 3-5% fuel savings which may very well make the difference in stopping or not.

In all honesty, I think the 320 and the standard 321 were designed more for the Euro market than U.S. transcons. even at 12/126 (138 seats), the 320 is hardpressed to do the transcon in the winter, ESPECIALLY if you have ANY departure delay or you are going into a place like SFO that can get hammered by fog. The 319 was SIGNIFICANTLY better suited for the transcon. A buddy of mine was a pax yesterday from Dulles to DEN and said the flight took 4.5 hours. the winds must have been horrendous. BTW, I wouldn't have picked DEN for a divert, the fuel costs too much as do the landing fees. It seems that if you know you're going to have to divert, take less fuel out of JFK, divert to KC or somewhere else in the middle of the country, and get half a tank of gas. You'll fly higher and burn less gas.... The only problem is it makes diverting a foregone conclusion. You guys were likely fairly close to Altus, they wouldn't let you hit an opurtune tanker? ;)

They might be just that far west to make the difference. I don't think UA operates 320s transcon from BOS/JFK/EWR -- at least it didn't when I was there -- only 757s/767s (and maybe the odd 777/744, at least from IAD). UA 320s only operate transcon from PHL/BWI/IAD, and in my years at UA I never knew of a fuel diversion on those routes.
(Edited to add:) Just noticed the IAD-LAS/OAK diversions on JB. Can't explain that except for maybe the seating count someone mentioned.
Back in the late 90s or thereabout, IIRC, UA did fly a 320 on its LAX-EWR redeye for a time.

All but two westcon transcons tech-stopped yesterday -- the BOS-SEA nonstop and the early IAD-OAK transcon cleared without a stop.

ex-JFK flights
  • 83 (JFK-SEA) stopped in MSP today (duration=1h2m).
  • 89 (JFK-ONT) is stopping in PHX today. This flight also stopped in LAS on the 15th.
  • 91 (JFK-OAK) stopped in SLC today (appears this was originally planned to stop in LAS - duration=1h10m). This flight has tech stopped the last four days - three times in SLC and once in PHX.
  • 93 (JFK-OAK) stopped in DEN today (duration=1h9m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - once in DEN, once in LAS, and once in SLC.
  • 95 (JFK-OAK) is stopping in ABQ today.This flight has tech stopped the last four days - once in ABQ, twice in LAS and once in DEN.
  • 101 (JFK-OAK) stopped in SLC today (duration=1h2m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - twice in SLC and once in DEN.
  • 107 (JFK-OAK) stopped in MSP today (duration=0h57m). This flight has tech stopped the last four days: once in DEN, once in LAS, once in SLC, and now in MSP.
  • 165 (JFK-PDX) stopped in MSP today (duration=0h44m).
  • 169 (JFK-SJC) stopped in DEN today (duration=1h13m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days: twice in DEN and once in LAS.
  • 171 (JFK-SMF) is stopping in SLC today. This flight also stopped two of the last three days in SLC.
  • 173 (JFK-SJC) stopped in MSP today (duration=0h42m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days: once in DEN, once in SLC, and once in MSP.
  • 181 (JFK-SAN) is stopped in PHX today (duration=1h5m). This flight also stopped yesterday at PHX.
  • 185 (JFK-SAN) is stopping in PHX today. This flight has tech stopped the last three days - twice in PHX and once in SLC.
  • 191 (JFK-LAS) stopped in SLC today (duration=1h19m).
  • 193 (JFK-LAS) stopped in SLC today (duration=0h58m).
  • 195 (JFK-LAS) is stopping in ABQ today.
  • 197 (JFK-LAS) stopped in SLC today (duration=0h38m).
  • 205 (JFK-LGB) stopped in PHX today (duration=1h8m). This flight also stopped yesterday at LAS.
  • 209 (JFK-LGB) stopped in SLC today (duration=1h14m). This flight also stopped yesterday at SLC.
  • 215 (JFK-LGB) stopped in SLC today (appears this was originally planned to stop in LAS - duration=0h44m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - twice in SLC and once in PHX.
  • 217 (JFK-LGB) stopped in ABQ today (duration=1h2m). This flight also stopped yesterday at DEN.
  • 219 (JFK-LGB) stopped in MSP today (appears this was originally planned to stop in MKE - duration=1h15m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - once in LAS, once in PHX and once in MSP.
  • 221 (JFK-LGB) stopped in DEN today (appears this was originally planned to stop in SLC - duration=1h36m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - once in DEN, once in PHX and once in LAS.
  • 309 (JFK-SAN) stopped in PHX today (duration = 1h0m).
  • 351 (JFK-BUR) stopped in DEN today (appears this was originally planned to stop in PHX - duration 2h22m). This flight also stopped yesterday at LAS.
  • 355 (JFK-BUR) stopped in SLC today (duration 1h0m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - once in SLC, once in LAS, and once in PHX. It also diverted on the 13th to DTW, but that doesn't appear to be fuel-related.
  • 357 (JFK-BUR) stopped in DEN today (appears this was originally planned to stop in ABQ - duration unknown due to the change).
  • 359 (JFK-BUR) stopped in ABQ today (duration 0h52m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days - once in ABQ, once in LAS, and once in PHX.
ex-IAD flights
  • 306 (IAD-LGB) stopped in ABQ today (duration=1h0m).
  • 308 (IAD-LGB) stopped in PHX today (duration=1h12m).
  • 309 (IAD-SAN) stopped in PHX today (duration=1h0m).
  • 321 (IAD-OAK) is stopping in ABQ today. This flight tech stopped yesterday in DEN.
ex-BOS flights
  • 475 (BOS-OAK) stopped in SLC today (duration=0h47m). This flight has tech stopped the last four days -- twice in DEN and twice in SLC.
  • 477 (BOS-OAK) stopped in MSP today (duration=0h49m). This flight has tech stopped the last four days -- once in DEN, once in OKC, once in SLC, and once in MSP.
  • 481 (BOS-LGB) stopped in PHX today (duration=0h46m). This flight has tech stopped the last three days -- once in PHX, once in SLC, and once in DEN.
  • 483 (BOS-LAS) is stopping in DEN today. This flight also stopped yesterday in DEN.
  • 489 (BOS-LGB) stopped in SLC today (duration=0h56m). This flight has tech stopped the last four days -- once in SLC, twice in LAS, and once in OKC.
Needless to say, this isn't going to do much for B6's ontime rating for February.

Hey all just wanted to throw the fact out there that there were 150mph headwinds yesterday. Working for US here we had a diversion from PHL to LAS yesterday as well. We had a full 757 that had to stop in PIT before heading to LAS. Our PHL-PIT flight alone was 1+45 from takeoff to touchdown yesterday. The flight from PIT to LAS was over 6 hours. It was horrible. The captain did mention that he made the decision to go and stop for fuel rather than leave some passengers/bags behind. Passengers understood the delay. A flight that was to arrive in vegas at 1:25pm in vegas didn't arrive until after 5pm eastern time in LAS. It felt like we were flying to Tokyo.

Weather Channel observed winds aloft map.

As you can see, you have to go as far south as Tennessee/Arkansas to find winds of 100kts or less.

Jim

Latest posts