lots of fuel stops for B6

No, you don't, but it is comparing apples to oranges. The 73G is comparable to an A319, not an A320. The A319 would have zero problem doing these routes. Whereareas when Alaska Airlines uses 739s on trans-cons, they were notorious for making fuel stops, especially on MIA-SEA.

The A320 is comparable to a 738, and if a one-class 738 probably would have the same issues going trans-con.
Actually the 737NGs have significantly more range than the Airbus. Ranges according to the company websites:

319 1800nm (tho' most US operators have extra tanks)
320 2650nm
321 2300nm

737-700 3365nm
737-800 3060nm
737-900 2700nm

The difference is largely related to time of design. The Airbus was done first, when small plane transcons were not common. After the Airbus proved the market for longer, thinner routes, Boeing designed the NG with sufficient range to serve that market.

Those Airbus figures don't seem right. The 319 has significantly longer range than the 320 or 321.

I agree. US has a major Airbus fleet and the only ones that made it with out stopping for fuel was the 319. Some 320's and all the 321's had to stop and get gas.

Those Airbus figures don't seem right. The 319 has significantly longer range than the 320 or 321.

IIRC, the 319 came STANDARD with less fuel capacity than the 320, but pretty much every buyer gets the 319 with the sme fuel capacity. Additionally, the 319 has the same engine with a differant FADEC setting so that while it produces less SL thrust, they produce the same thrust at higher altitudes, resulting in a quicker climb to cruise and thus better range

Are the passengers warned about the fuel stops when they purchase the tickets? When they board the flight itself?

Doesn't this cost more for the company in the long run? I don't really get the feasibility of doing this.

Suppose you had a bunch of passengers who are flying on B6 to get to the west coast to make a connection on another airline? I can't imagine the number of people being inconvenienced by this.

It would seem that pissing off a large quantity of people can't be good for bringing back return business.

Skymess -
Though B6 has certainly had its share of these fuel stops - maybe more than its share - this is something that's been happening to every carrier. The headwinds over the past few weeks have been unusually strong. The only other option is to simply cancel the flights. I doubt that pax would prefer that.

Skymess -
Though B6 has certainly had its share of these fuel stops - maybe more than its share - this is something that's been happening to every carrier. The headwinds over the past few weeks have been unusually strong. The only other option is to simply cancel the flights. I doubt that pax would prefer that.

The headwinds are the same every year in the winter. I can remember it taking me 8 hours to get to SFO from JFK a few years ago.

AA hasn't made any fuel stops. It's where a bigger fleet, with more long range capability, comes in handy.

Are the passengers warned about the fuel stops when they purchase the tickets? When they board the flight itself?

I was on a US flight on 2/20 that stopped for gas in MSP on the way from PHL-LAX. The gate agent announced it twice that we were stopping before boarding and why we had to, and then the crew announced it again, and apologized and further explained the reason for the stop. Nobody got mad, the flights were very smooth for 200mph head winds (even over the Rockies) and the crew was great. Total time on ground in MSP was about 50 minutes.

Suppose you had a bunch of passengers who are flying on B6 to get to the west coast to make a connection on another airline? I can't imagine the number of people being inconvenienced by this.

The good news for B6 is that it probably has very few pax attempting to connect to different airlines at LGB or ONT or BUR or OAK. B)

Southwest gets a fair number of international connecting pax at LAX.

On a good day, B6 is pushing the maximum range of the A320 on its numerous transcons. When the jet stream is blowing like it did last month, the decision to buy the A320 doesn't look so bright.

The good news for B6 is that it probably has very few pax attempting to connect to different airlines at LGB or ONT or BUR or OAK. B)

Southwest gets a fair number of international connecting pax at LAX.

Good point. I hadn't thought about the small airports they fly into on the west coast.