Massive Earthquake in Chile

Aug 19, 2002
The JFK
www.usaviation.com
So there's been a major earthquake in Chile, thousands potentially dead and homeless.

Is the rest of the world springing into action? Where are the concerts? Where are the dozens and dozens of aid flights?

Who can I text to help those poor suffering people? Where are the collection points for Aid to Chile?

I guess Chile has no Wyclef Jean to bang the drum for them?

No star studded celebutard feel good concerts?

That's odd.

Oh wait, the Chileans aren't the poorest, most corrupt nation in the Western Hemisphere are they?

The Chileans don't have a big foot print in Miami and NYC either.

So there's been a major earthquake in Chile, thousands potentially dead and homeless.

Is the rest of the world springing into action? Where are the concerts? Where are the dozens and dozens of aid flights?

Who can I text to help those poor suffering people? Where are the collection points for Aid to Chile?

No star studded celebutard feel good concerts?

Oh wait, the Chileans aren't the poorest, most corrupt nation in the Western Hemisphere are they?

The Chileans don't have a big foot print in Miami and NYC either.

Hmmm...

As during the Haiti earthquake aftermath, Americans are now being encouraged by organizations working on Chile earthquake relief efforts to donate via text message...

Chile did not immediately appeal for foreign aid
. "We generally do not ask for help," said Ms. Bachelet. But on Monday, she opened up to foreign assistance, saying that Chile faces ''a catastrophe of such unthinkable magnitude that it will require a giant effort to recover."

The Mobile Giving Foundation, which organized text message relief for Haiti, has vetted and the following organization for donating to Chile:

* Text "CHILE" to 20222 to donate $10 on behalf of World Vision.
* Text "CHILE" to 52000 to donate $10 on behalf of the Salvation Army
* Text "SAVE" to 20222 to donate $10 on behalf of Save the Children Federation, Inc.
* Text "CHILE" to 85944 to donate $10 on behalf of International Medical Corp.
* Text "4CHILE" to 50555 to donate $10 on behalf of Convoy of Hope
* Text "CHILE" to 50555 to donate $10 on behalf of Friends of the World Program
* Text "REBUILD" to 50555 to donate $10 on behalf of Friends of the Operation USA

AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon Wireless are providing free text messages in support of the effort. One-hundred percent of the donation goes to earthquake relief, according to the Mobile Giving Foundation.
Link

Must you disparage all those who helped Haiti? Is your problem with Haitians, or the people who decided to help them, or both?

It sounds like you have a great opportunity to volunteer to organize a concert. :rolleyes:

And the damage/death toll is a lot lower in Chile than it was in Haiti for a number of reasons. As of last night, the official death toll stood at 711 people (and will undoubtedly rise) while the Haiti quake is estimated to have killed over 220,000 people. Economics and corruption in government do play a significant role - Chile has better building standards which are enforced so less destruction, The government immediately took steps to get power restored ASAP, arranged for grocery store chains to give away food, deployed 10,000 soldiers to keep order, and announced to the world that Chile has the financial resources to recover. In Haiti the government basically collapsed and did nothing.

Jim

While all the "above" is true,...........a Lost innocent life, is exactly...........a lost innocent life. :( (whether the country's name begins with a "C"...or an..."H") !!

joanne

Very true joanne. As far as I'm concerned, the aid that poured into Haiti and whatever will go to Chile is because of the human suffering, not because of who runs the country.

Jim

Reactions: 1 person
Very true joanne. As far as I'm concerned, the aid that poured into Haiti and whatever will go to Chile is because of the human suffering, not because of who runs the country.

Jim

As well it should! However as is often pointed out by those of us who tend to me more Conservative or Libertarian there is a perception issue here that continues unabated. While joanne is spot on in here observations regarding the suffering and/or death of one is one to many.

Equally sad is the fact that there are those out there who for personl or political gain will exploit the situation in Chile & Haiti. Whether they be the feared TonTon Mcoutes in Haiti or the silver haired devils that lurk throughout the world of politics and power.

Surprised that the actual quake itself hasn't been blamed on Obama, Clinton, Bush, Palin, global warming, UFO's from Area 51, but hey it's still early.

Reactions: 1 person