Maybe our medical costs not the worst!

If you’re talking about what American Airlines Employees represented by the IAM pay I would wholeheartedly have to agree with your headline.

Otherwise, Meh.
Only referring to NATIONAL healthcare costs. The reality is there are employees in other companies who pay more and there are those who pay less.
AA employees do not have the lock on the highest premiums nationally.
So airline-wise, we have a gripe. Otherwise.....well you know. MEH!

Our medical benefits while somewhat costly and maybe not in line with the other airlines are overall really good medical benefits, I have a lot of health issues and budget for out of pocket costs with a reimbursement account and then after that basically everything for me is paid for. The folks at Drs offices quite often comment about our insurance being pretty good when compared to other folks. This is not to say we couldn't do better.

Only referring to NATIONAL healthcare costs. The reality is there are employees in other companies who pay more and there are those who pay less.
AA employees do not have the lock on the highest premiums nationally.
So airline-wise, we have a gripe. Otherwise.....well you know. MEH!

DL’s are much higher compared to other carriers.

The folks at Drs offices quite often comment about our insurance being pretty good when compared to other folks.

I have experienced the same thing.
I know for me, the difference between LAA and LUS health insurance is very small, not a hill I’m willing to die on, sorry if that offends anyone.

Our medical benefits while somewhat costly and maybe not in line with the other airlines are overall really good medical benefits, I have a lot of health issues and budget for out of pocket costs with a reimbursement account and then after that basically everything for me is paid for. The folks at Drs offices quite often comment about our insurance being pretty good when compared to other folks. This is not to say we couldn't do better.
I agree wholeheartedly.

Jan., 2016 I had surgery at Baylor Hospital in Dallas for a ruptured disc in my neck. I was in the hospital for 4 days. The street price for that stay was over $48,000. Between AA's BCBS and Medicare Part A, I did not have to pay a dime.

Later in 2016, I was fitted for hearing aids that cost a little over $10,000 (again street price). The audiologist said, "Now just wait hear. I have to call Blue Cross and see how much of the cost is covered, then you can decide if you want to try a less expensive hearing aid." After about 15 minutes, she came back and said, "You have fabulous insurance. With in-network deductions, etc, you don't owe anything!"

I agree wholeheartedly.

Jan., 2016 I had surgery at Baylor Hospital in Dallas for a ruptured disc in my neck. I was in the hospital for 4 days. The street price for that stay was over $48,000. Between AA's BCBS and Medicare Part A, I did not have to pay a dime.

Later in 2016, I was fitted for hearing aids that cost a little over $10,000 (again street price). The audiologist said, "Now just wait hear. I have to call Blue Cross and see how much of the cost is covered, then you can decide if you want to try a less expensive hearing aid." After about 15 minutes, she came back and said, "You have fabulous insurance. With in-network deductions, etc, you don't owe anything!"

Here’s a link to the 2018 Benefits guide for Medical benefits for IAM Represented members and what they’ve been paying this year.

Tell me what you think of this in comparison to the LAA plans?

https://my.aa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/2018AEguideLUS.pdf

Theres no doubt, the lus iam medical plan costs less for the same or better coverage. I'm thinking what people are questioning is how much of a fight are we willing to give to get it? Which way would a mediator nudge the parties? I for one would rather give on medical then give on scope.. And I know, people say we shouldn't have to "give" anywhere in the agreement. So then one has to say, if not, what's the alternative? Strike? Mention that and most say, implausible... I guess if we really really want something we have to fight for it, Parkers not giving it away. So, what fight will we put up? And if the answer is none, then we cannot expect anything better? Or do we expect the association to get us improvements without putting up a fight? It seems we could expect only worse...

Just keep voting no until somebody declares an impasse? But, we are several years in and no hint of any vote, and, international and locals leaders are jockeying for positions instead of rolling out a jcba to vote on...

Here’s a link to the 2018 Benefits guide for Medical benefits for IAM Represented members and what they’ve been paying this year.

We all know the difference, WeAAz…..No one is debating it...But one could look at this way..If the IAM winds up paying LAA medical, they are more in line with national averages.

Wish I could, but I'm retired now, and quite frankly I never paid any attention to the monthly premium that I paid. What I knew was it was a lot less than most of my friends were paying at their jobs and with better coverage..

Latest posts