MD-80 life extension

chilokie1

Senior
May 11, 2005
I have been hearing from multiple sources that AA will continue flying 50 MD-80's 
past the original retirement date. To me it makes total sense, unlimited parts from
retired aircraft, the old TWA MD-80's were the last ones built before they shut
down production and moved to the MD-90's. As long as fuel is cheap why not?
 I know we sold a bunch of engines to be be parted out, but I believe the contract
gives us right of first refusal on any of the parts, and a bunch of crated parts showed 
up and are now sitting in 4A.  Boeing and Airbus both have huge backlogs of B737
& A321's, it should be pretty easy to move back some deliveries.  I guess it makes way
too much sense to be true, probably just rumors.

This is American Airlines.  They are SUPER 80s.  Just ask any LAA pilot who flies one.

They are no different than MD-80s, of course, but because they are AA, they are "SUPER"!

Maybe this news will keep those SUPER 80 pilots from whining at every (and I mean EVERY) Crew News over whether the company will keep them longer.  (Someone needs to tell those guys to get ready for school, or get ready to retire, and get over it!)

nycbusdriver said:
This is American Airlines.  They are SUPER 80s.  Just ask any LAA pilot who flies one.

They are no different than MD-80s, of course, but because they are AA, they are "SUPER"!

Maybe this news will keep those SUPER 80 pilots from whining at every (and I mean EVERY) Crew News over whether the company will keep them longer.  (Someone needs to tell those guys to get ready for school, or get ready to retire, and get over it!)
The SUPER 80 moniker was the original designation of the Douglas DC-9-80 when first delivered in 1980. PSA also bought the SUPER 80's about the same time to replace its Boeing 727 fleet with the much quieter Douglas.

The "MD" designation was applied to all McDonnell Douglas airplanes as a marketing effort. After several tragic DC-10 crashes it was perceived the public had lost confidence in flying "DC" airplanes and thus the name change.

Those aircraft, whatever you wish to call it, have served admirably and reliably for decades. It worked fine and lasted a long time. And unlike the Airbus, you could lose all the hydraulics and still "DC" direct cable the machine to a safe landing....

For extra credit, what did "DC" indicate in the aircraft designations?

Reactions: 3 people
I thought the required ngs mod (SFAR 88) was due March of next year. To my knowledge the Super 80s are not and will not be modified.

dvlhog212 said:
I thought the required ngs mod (SFAR 88) was due March of next year. To my knowledge the Super 80s are not and will not be modified.

I did also , I guess if it is true we will see a mod line starting. It could all be BS
but it does make sense. Maybe it is because our debt is killing our stock price,
defer a few deliveries and get the debt down a little.

dvlhog212 said:
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that the NGS was for Boeing planes that have all the Air Conditioning stuff under the main tank i.e. 737, 757, 767 etc...

Several years ago I read about a company that was making an engine mod for the MD-80's that would cut down noise and increase fuel efficiency. I never read anymore about any airline going for this upgrade. I really liked the 3-2 seating on the MD-80's.  

Flying low said:
I'm probably wrong, but I was under the impression that the NGS was for Boeing planes that have all the Air Conditioning stuff under the main tank i.e. 737, 757, 767 etc...

Pretty sure its every airplane. I know we(Delta) are doing it to the airbuses too. I believe the MDs are getting it, those that are going to be hanging around at least.