MD-80 life extension

eolesen said:
Thanks for confirming that Parker's team was too cheap to do dedicated PCA units.

There's a reason legacy AA had self-contained units hung on the bridges vs. just tying into the building's HVAC system. That paid for itself over and over again in reduced fuel usage and reduced hours on the APU.
Actually we had self-contained units hung on the bridges... maybe they were old, but this new systems works better.  It is just too damn hot.

Reactions: 2 people
Just heard that the 30 md80s that were going to be parked for a AD, got a 5 year extension. Tulsa is picking up 5 heavies in 2017 and 5 in 2018 with lights all between.

Reactions: 1 person
AA Tulsa Mechanic said:
Just heard that the 30 md80s that were going to be parked for a AD, got a 5 year extension. Tulsa is picking up 5 heavies in 2017 and 5 in 2018 with lights all between.

I have been hearing 50 aircraft staying in the fleet. 

chilokie1 said:

I have been hearing 50 aircraft staying in the fleet. 

Haven't watched Crew News from this past week.  Surely some whiney Super 80 pilot....or is that SUPER WHINY 80 pilot....got up to ask for the umpteeth time if the company would keep those Long Beach Lawn Darts a bit longer (so they wouldn't have to flunk EFIS school.)

I think Scooter did the honors.....what did he say?

Haven't watched Crew News from this past week.  Surely some whiney Super 80 pilot....or is that SUPER WHINY 80 pilot....got up to ask for the umpteeth time if the company would keep those Long Beach Lawn Darts a bit longer (so they wouldn't have to flunk EFIS school.)

I think Scooter did the honors.....what did he say?
Nothing was mentioned about the MD80s. Kirby did say the round dial 757s were going to get retired quickly.

At IAH every time I see one of those damn things taxi by I think when are they gonna get rid of the fossils. Remembering the joy of changing TR control valves or bleed aug valves in the tail compartment or that one time replacing fire bottles and rubbed up against that light switch terminals with my wet shirt and getting half shocked to death.... ah the memories. 

Not an AA guy. The other IAH company since 9-87. 

Memories. I remember one of my first graveyard shift line maintenance jobs as the fng was to replace the left TR control valve on a DC-9-30. What fun.

eolesen said:
Thanks for confirming that Parker's team was too cheap to do dedicated PCA units.

There's a reason legacy AA had self-contained units hung on the bridges vs. just tying into the building's HVAC system. That paid for itself over and over again in reduced fuel usage and reduced hours on the APU.

Sorry to ruin your narrative, but they've had dedicated, jetway-mounted units for decades now in PHX.  US spent a ton of money upgrading all of the PCA units a few years ago as the old units weren't able to keep up anymore. 40 units were replaced and the coolant system was also completely rebuilt.  During construction, they also temporarily brought in brand-new portable PCA carts that were assigned to a couple of "hot aircraft" teams.