Mechanic killed at MSP

Yes, very sad. ExNWA seems to be giddy about it. Read quick though, no archives.
After reading the comments on that site about how some people feel about the DEATH of an employee on the job is disheartening. I for the most part am Pro-labour but common sense and compassion for a fellow humn being (and his family) SHOULD rule the day. As time has gone by, the only ones wallowing in their Self-Pity party are the former NWA mechanics that walked off the job (years ago) yet to see NWA merge with Delta and MOVE FORWARD. To those Mechanics........LET IT GO! (You made your decision to walk and Now YOU have to live with the consequences). Wishing ill will on your former employer and it's surviving employees will only make YOU miserable, jaded and destined to face the karma YOU cast upon them. To think that ANYONE would relish in the DEATH of another employee (scab or not) is an All-time LOW!

Reactions: 2 people
Not clear who activated the hydraulics yet. This is why lockout/tagout procedures are critical....

From UA Flight Ops:

Yesterday morning, a tragic event occurred at in MSP when a Delta Airlines mechanic was killed while working on an A-319 at the gate. He was in the nose landing gear wheel well with the doors open when hydraulics were applied to the aircraft from the flight deck. He was killed instantly by the doors when they shut.

Jim Miccio’s team has drafted the attached safety bulletin related to this event. I want everyone to review this to understand the procedures associated with this system. Over and above the specifics of this system on the Airbus, I want to emphasize the importance of your situational awareness when you are around the airplane. Many of you are around airplanes on a regular basis in the normal course of your job. As you are not a part of the maintenance crew working the airplane, the mechanics may not be aware of your presence on the dock and they will be performing their normal work. The expectation is that you make contact with the supervisor or lead before entering the area around the aircraft so that they are aware of your presence and can also alert you to any maintenance actions on the dock, such as operational checks, that pose a safety risk. Always be aware of your surroundings when you are near flight controls, gear doors, etc. that could be powered at any time.

The lessons learned from this event cannot be emphasized enough. This is classified as a safety stand down for the United Services Division. I would ask the managers to review safety precautions around aircraft with all of you.

A tragic reminder of how dangerous airline work can be. Very sad that his son is now an orphan at 12, having lost his mother and father in the past two years. Work safe.

Now thats a classy bunch.

He had a child 12 years old. The kid lost his Mom in '08 and now his Dad two years later.

I'm about as pro labor as they come, and I have to agree.

That said, while the site gets quite a large number of hits, I have to think that's a very small vocal minority wishing the kid ill..

God bless this man's soul and may He bless that baby who has lost both of his parents. What a terrible tragedy for a 12 year old child to have to live with for the rest of his life. I'm praying for you little man. You must be a special young man because God puts no more on us than we can handle. Godspeed.

The ex-NWA website is no longer "discussing" the subject as they put it. I have listened to the radio show that quoted the site. It is obscene and farcical that they use the word "honorable" so freely. Loathesome.

They have, however, posted an apology. They mention the talk show host who is obviously part of the right wingnuts in the media. You know, the union folk play right into the hands of the right wing media machine and make unionism look even worse with the psychotic hatred against replacement workers "scabs." Here's the apology. Take it for what you will:

Our apology to the young boy, unions and good mechanics who used to work at the old NWA

By exNWA.com

We listened to the radio show, "The Jason Lewis Show" from the June 18th broadcast archive and have been reading lots of emails pertaining to comments sent into this web site. Everyone has an agenda. We have one, discouraging SCABS in general.. Jason Lewis has an agenda against unions in general. We are sorry if this web site has further hurt unions as demonstrated by all of the negative comments against unions, because of this site. When we started this web site, it was to give a voice to the people who did not cross our picket line. There are individuals who hold the anger more than others and may have expressed that anger in ways that may not have been appropriate. They are simply voicing their opinions and as a country of free speech, that is their right. Jason Lewis has an opinion and he has no problem expressing that opinion on his radio show. That is his right. Some would say that he and people like Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh and others perpetuate hate and mistrust. We welcome their right to say what they feel.

Now, given all of this, it may have been wrong to pound on someone that had died performing their job. We allowed the "hate" speech to be posted. We of course wouldn't allow all of the other "hate" speech to be posted, because that was against why we set up this site to begin with. We do find it ironic and of course hypocritical that people would say the exact same thing about posters on this web site and of course about us, in the very manner in which they find so distasteful and disgusting. On his radio show, Jason Lewis only read posts that filled his agenda. That's ok, that is his right. There are numerous web sites for anybody to voice their opinion about any subject.

Given the fact that there are far more important issues confronting us today, this site will fade back into a less controversial state, just like the past 5 years. Remember, are intention is to discourage people from becoming SCABS. We don't advocate any sort of violence, stalking, revenge, or any other negative actions against any SCAB or any other individual or company that may be mentioned on these pages.

We hold no ill will toward the son of the departed and wish him well. This must be extremely hard on him and for that we are truly sorry.

Here is the address for donations:

Wings Financial
Attn: Joey Stygar Benefit Account #1175717
14985 Glazier Ave
Apple Valley, MN 55124

I'm about as pro labor as they come, and I have to agree.
Wow Kev, that's a pretty softball rebuke. Color me (not so) surprised. I wonder if the response would be the same if the comments made had come from someone in operations/management?

That said, while the site gets quite a large number of hits, I have to think that's a very small vocal minority wishing the kid ill..
Let me take this opportunity to toss back one of your infamous replies...Is that your opinion or do you speak for all of them?

That's one heck of a group to stand in solidarity with.

Reactions: 1 person
Wow Kev, that's a pretty softball rebuke. Color me (not so) surprised. I wonder if the response would be the same if the comments made had come from someone in operations/management?

Let me take this opportunity to toss back one of your infamous replies...Is that your opinion or do you speak for all of them?

That's one heck of a group to stand in solidarity with.

If you're looking to bait me into an argument, keep walking.

Better yet, go back and read what I posted/you quoted, and explain to all of us how you see that as "standing with them."

If you're looking to bait me into an argument, keep walking.

Better yet, go back and read what I posted/you quoted, and explain to all of us how you see that as "standing with them."

It was just an observation Kev. A very telling observation indeed.