Mesa's Hawaiian Disaster Gets a Name (Go Hawaii)

HPearlyretiree

Veteran
Nov 6, 2002
New airline Go Hawaii preparing to launch
Hawaiian Airlines files suit to block its entry for at least two years
By Dave Segal
[email protected]

And the name of Mesa Air Group Inc.'s new interisland airline is ... Go Hawaii.

Jonathan Ornstein, Mesa's chairman and chief executive, said yesterday he would neither confirm nor deny that name. But a person close to the situation said Mesa already has selected that moniker for when the independent airline begins service early in the second quarter.

Mesa also registered the name www.iflygo.com for its Web site in September, according to Internet registrar Network Solutions LLC. The Web site is not yet publicly accessible without a password.

The Phoenix-based carrier was hit with a lawsuit earlier this week by Hawaiian Airlines, which is seeking to block Mesa's entry into Hawaii for at least two years. The suit says Ornstein had access to proprietary information obtained through a nondisclosure agreement when Mesa was looking into investing in Hawaiian two years ago.

Ornstein said he "certainly hopes for the people of Hawaii and ourselves" that Mesa's arrival in the islands is not delayed by the suit.

"We've had enough lawyers look at this, and at this point everyone believes it's without merit," Ornstein said. "I doubt it will have much impact. I think a judge will see through it for what it is."

Hawaiian Airlines attorney Bruce Bennett said the federal Bankruptcy Court closely monitored the reviews of data provided online to parties that signed a confidentiality agreement and that Mesa representatives visited the electronic data room 60 times and downloaded about 2,000 pages, including future projections relating to Hawaiian's business.

"There is a thorough and complete trail," Bennett said.

Mesa has been negotiating with Honolulu Airport for space in the commuter terminal, according to Scott Ishikawa, spokesman for the state Department of Transportation. The commuter terminal currently houses Island Air, Pacific Wings and Mokulele Airlines, while Hawaiian and Aloha Airlines occupy the interisland terminal.

Ornstein said Aloha is to be congratulated for its emergence from bankruptcy yesterday.

"It's a hard process, and they've done a good job restructuring," he said. "It's been tough, but in the end it will have proven to be very worthwhile. They deserve a lot of credit for pulling together."

Then, in a rebuke to the pending suit from Hawaiian, Ornstein added, "I would urge people to fly Aloha until we get there."

I have a feeling that the Hawaiian natives, when asked to "Go Hawaiian" by Mesa will tell them to "Go $$%*# off!"

This is gonna be a disaster that will be discussed in many business classes for years.

Mid Pacific, Discovery, and Mahalo are waiting to welcome "Go Hawai'i" with a lei and a "shaka" hand gesture!
Stupid haoles never learn...

go! - Mesa Air Group Announces Name of New Airline in Hawaii

Mesa Air Group, Inc. (Nasdaq: MESA) today announced it will begin operating interisland flights as go! beginning June 9, 2006 and will be offering one-way fares of $39. The Company also unveiled the new airline's website and started taking reservations today at 10 a.m. Hawaii standard time.
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/19990210/LAW065 )

"We are delighted to initiate service in Hawaii. Our goal is to provide local families, friends and business people with a fun, high-quality and low-cost airline for travel between the islands," said Jonathan Ornstein, Chairman and CEO of Mesa Air Group, Inc. "We have the absolute lowest fares between the islands and we encourage people to take advantage of them. Reservations can be made by visiting our website at http://www.iflygo.com or by calling toll-free (888) IFLYGO2."

go! is entering Hawaii with one-way fares as low as $39. Passengers who register for go! Miles are able to earn go! Miles redeemable for future travel and can earn 500 miles for registering online.

"We chose the name go! because that's exactly what we think people want: a reliable, quick, no-hassle way to get from point to point across the state," added Ornstein. "We are thrilled to be here and are glad we can bring with us a variety of job opportunities."

PR Newswire

Because the last time I looked, copyright laws were still in effect. They stole it.

Mesa only makes money because they get paid a flat fee for each flight. If they actually had to compete, that would be a different story. Oh, that's what they're going to try to do with Go!

Because the last time I looked, copyright laws were still in effect. They stole it.

Mesa only makes money because they get paid a flat fee for each flight. If they actually had to compete, that would be a different story. Oh, that's what they're going to try to do with Go!

It wasnt stolen...the same web designers work for both.

I just returned from a HA r/t from the mainland. AWESOME service on all 4 legs. All HA employees were a pleasure to deal with. A lot of commercials on TV for all the airlines while I was there. My best to AQ and HA. Nothing against the employees of go!, but I don't want it to work. just my thoughts.........

I have a feeling that the Hawaiian natives, when asked to "Go Hawaiian" by Mesa will tell them to "Go $$%*# off!"

This is gonna be a disaster that will be discussed in many business classes for years.

Money talks before loyalty. From what I have seen the people of the Islands will go to the lowest fares. It is just natural. $39 one way is a fair price. While at the mercy of the airlines $79+ is way out of line for a 30 - 45- min flight. I hope competition will bring prices in line. Same goes for main land. I am afraid fuel cost will change that.

Money talks before loyalty. From what I have seen the people of the Islands will go to the lowest fares. It is just natural. $39 one way is a fair price. While at the mercy of the airlines $79+ is way out of line for a 30 - 45- min flight. I hope competition will bring prices in line. Same goes for main land. I am afraid fuel cost will change that.
It's not like they can drive instead! With the price of fuel in the islands, $79 is a fair price.

It's not like they can drive instead! With the price of fuel in the islands, $79 is a fair price.

Agree.
I've always wondered why Hawai'i dosen't have a either a state-run or private, state-wide ferry service. Maui--Moloka'i and Maui--Lana'i are the only ferries in operation.

Agree.
I've always wondered why Hawai'i dosen't have a either a state-run or private, state-wide ferry service. Maui--Moloka'i and Maui--Lana'i are the only ferries in operation.

The Hawaii Superferry is supposed to begin in 2007. Check out www.hawaiisuperferry.com