Minimum Wage Law

delldude said:

Land of the $100 big Mac.

How about considering unintended consequences of a $15 minimum wage?

Seriously.
yeah when you go in that McDonalds at lunch instead of maybe 6 working the front there's 4 or maybe 3

700UW said:

I liked this part:

The minimum wage, far from benefiting workers, acts as a restraint on contract rights, it forces the cost of goods and services up, and, in the long run, it destroys small businesses and prevents low skill workers from ever getting a step on the employment ladder. Small wonder that Obama wants to raise it.

delldude said:
I liked this part:

The minimum wage, far from benefiting workers, acts as a restraint on contract rights, it forces the cost of goods and services up, and, in the long run, it destroys small businesses and prevents low skill workers from ever getting a step on the employment ladder. Small wonder that Obama wants to raise it.
No kidding.

Gotta love when 700 steps on another take and adds another lump on his forehead.

lol

townpete said:
No kidding.

Gotta love when 700 steps on another take and adds another lump on his forehead.

lol

tumblr_o30frwa0Jm1s4f4t0o1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 person
700UW said:

To start, some Australians actually make less than the adult minimum wage. The country allows lower pay for teenagers, and the labor deal McDonald’s struck with its employees currently pays 16-year-olds roughly US$8 an hour, not altogether different from what they’d make in the states. In an email, Greg Bamber, a professor at Australia’s Monash University who has studied labor relations in the country’s fast food industry, told me that as a result, McDonald’s relies heavily on young workers in Australia. It’s a specific quirk of the country’s wage system. But it goes to show that even in generally high-pay countries, restaurants try to save on labor where they can.

Kev3188 said:
People still actually go to Wendy's?!

As for kiosks, what are your thoughts on our employer's love affair with them?

What I find curious is why unions support a wage increase that will drive employers to this.

Kev3188 said:
You've never heard of the multiplier effect, have you?

That doesn't take into account of the effect that raising costs in a business is going to be directly paid by the consumer in higher prices.
When you take a simple warehouse employee getting a 50% wage increase, that cost will be reflected in the goods sold from the warehouse.
When the distributor has to pay a 50% increase in drivers and loaders, the increase distribution costs will be reflected in their service.

For a retail business, increased costs will be paid by the consumer or the business will fail.

I don't understand why any one thinks that this is not inflationary.

As a business owner, I don't give raises to just everybody 'just because'.
This silly communistic law has taken away my leverage to reward hard working employees to show the bottom feeders that if you work hard and do a good job, you 'will' be rewarded.

Good for the Gooberment! Higher wages means higher taxes. But it also means an increase in my taxes too.
Higher wages means higher SS, Medicare and workman's comp premiums.
Yea I konw, who cares... :wacko:

Gooberment at it's 'best'!

Bad enough we now have to pay for 24 hours sick time per year per employee 'no questions asked'.
So when an employee calls in sick (usually the same day) we have to scramble to get someone to cover, usually at time and a half.  So now I have to pay sick pay, AND pay someone x1.5 to cover them.

Hey we are not a big operation and don't have reserve workers sitting in the back playing Sudoku in case they are needed.

Regardless, these 'laws' are imposed on me and I must adhere.

Just don't #### at me when we raise prices.

B) xUT

FWAAA said:
In the expensive parts of the country, $15/hr isn't enough to be a "living wage," while in cheaper parts of the USA, two people each earning $15/hr could afford a nice house.

So if $15/hr is the "correct" arbitrary minimum wage, and we know it isn't enough for NYC or LA or SFO (or a bunch of other expensive places), why not simply raise the minimum to something livable, like $40/hr or $50/hr?

That way, the minimum wage would guarantee everyone a nice standard of living no matter where they lived, right?
That's right!
To make things fair, let's pay minimum wage of $2000 an hour and have Trump print more money... :LOL:

Latest posts