Minimum Wage Law

xUT said:

That doesn't take into account of the effect that raising costs in a business is going to be directly paid by the consumer in higher prices.
When you take a simple warehouse employee getting a 50% wage increase, that cost will be reflected in the goods sold from the warehouse.
When the distributor has to pay a 50% increase in drivers and loaders, the increase distribution costs will be reflected in their service.

For a retail business, increased costs will be paid by the consumer or the business will fail.

I don't understand why any one thinks that this is not inflationary.

As a business owner, I don't give raises to just everybody 'just because'.
This silly communistic law has taken away my leverage to reward hard working employees to show the bottom feeders that if you work hard and do a good job, you 'will' be rewarded.

Good for the Gooberment! Higher wages means higher taxes. But it also means an increase in my taxes too.
Higher wages means higher SS, Medicare and workman's comp premiums.
Yea I konw, who cares... :wacko:

Gooberment at it's 'best'!

Bad enough we now have to pay for 24 hours sick time per year per employee 'no questions asked'.
So when an employee calls in sick (usually the same day) we have to scramble to get someone to cover, usually at time and a half.  So now I have to pay sick pay, AND pay someone x1.5 to cover them.

Hey we are not a big operation and don't have reserve workers sitting in the back playing Sudoku in case they are needed.

Regardless, these 'laws' are imposed on me and I must adhere.

Just don't #### at me when we raise prices.

B) xUT

Good example from my steel mill days was every three years in August, workers would strike for more money and such then right after, the price of steel went predictably up.

Always...........

Reactions: 1 person
xUT said:
What do you propose?
Who are in this demographic?
B) xUT
Older folks... Single parents (actually, any parents, really)... People that may not qualify for the armed services for whatever reason...

For options, I would like to see things like the CCC or WPA coming back as well. Lord knows there's plenty of infrastructure work to do...

I would like to see higher education costs vastly reduced, and I'm happy to pay my share.

If nothing else, we need to bridge the "training gap." There are jobs out there, but people's skill sets don't match them. Why not invest in that, and get people in the trades?

Will that cost $$$? Yep. But guess what? We're already paying. We either help our fellow Americans up, or we pay for them to be on assistance, or in jail.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with Kev3188 that we need more government programs to get the low-skilled into higher-wage jobs thru education and job training. It's undeniable that people with marketable skills don't need a min wage - they graduate from education or job training programs, show up and start at more than min wage.

The reality is that there will always be some no-skill or low-skill jobs that just aren't "worth" high wages. For people in that boat, government programs to supplement their income may be the best method to keep them out of poverty.

My view is that no arbitrary increase in the mandated minimum wage will actually help the working poor to gain ground on higher-paid workers; people performing work that is not highly valued won't suddenly become more valuable simply because government has decreed that their work is suddenly "valuable."

If the federal minimum of $7.25/hr is doubled to $15/hr, the person currently paid $15/hr (perhaps the supervisor of those entry-level employees) will no doubt demand (and obtain) a healthy, probably large, raise, the effect of which will keep a vast gulf between the entry-level employee who now must be paid $15/hr and their supervisor who was already worth double the entry-level wage.

Why am I so confident that everyone above the entry-level wage will get large raises when the entry-level min wage is increased? By definition, the higher-paid employees have already demonstrated success at demanding and obtaining higher wages. The only people who can't demand and get more than the min wage are those lacking skills sufficient to convince the employer to pay them more.

If society wants to improve the take-home pay of the low-skill working poor, the best way to do it is thru targeted programs like the earned income tax credit, not by decree.

It's not that I'm against the working poor getting more money for their work - I don't believe that the working poor will catch up as a result of a higher mandated minimum.

A higher min wage is very popular, especially among those with no skills or low-skills: the people whose skills are insufficient to enable them to demand higher pay.

Remember the high-tech company whose CEO decided that the new min wage at his company would be $70k? That progressive decision isn't without controversy at his company.

Glenn Quagmire said:
Yep. That is easy for everyone who already has the advantage of transportation, access to education, family support, decent health, a way to feed themselves, an address, a way to apply for aid if available, etc. Maybe fa La La ti ta do re me dil do do is willin to provide a ride to some of these folks. He has ready websites showing where they can get free education (in Tulsa, how is public transportation there?), like he got, thanks to the state of OK and the Federal Government grant system.
Hmmm. Why should there be competition, education, motivation, and drive to want to succeed in life, when we will just give you something better for doing nothing more but being stupid, lazy and reproducing like a rat and draining society with your stupidity? I was in a hardware store looking for a toilet seat and the youthful genius at the information booth didn't know what I was talking about. He sure must earn his $15 an hour to feed his crossbreed spawn while his girl collects welfare!

700UW said:
mcdonalds.jpg
Maybe you should see if the McDonalds your working at will transfer you to Australia!
Hell, I'll throw in a one way buddy pass!

southwind said:
Maybe you should see if the McDonalds your working at will transfer you to Australia!
Hell, I'll throw in a one way buddy pass!
Hate to burst your bubble and your lame attempt at an insult, but I manage a small business that brings in over six figures a year and employ about 25 people.

700UW said:
Hate to burst your bubble and your lame attempt at an insult, but I manage a small business that brings in over six figures a year and employ about 25 people.
#1 You must do a sh!tty job, as all your time is spent on these boards!
#2 You brought up McD's
#3 Those 25 employees better belong to a union
#4 If those 25 employees DO belong to a union, they need to kick them out, as $100,000 ( 6 figures) divided by 25 equals $4000 a year.....not much of a "Living Wage"!

I do a great job and have a lot of famous clients, try again.  Its called downtime and having a smartphone, something you wouldnt know about.  And I dont have any events till this afternoon, so Im posting on my time.

I was adding to the topic, something you NEVER do, as its relevant.

And I guess you dont understand simple math, six figures is from $100,000 to $999,999, not too hard for you to understand now is it?  Did your certificate class not cover that?

Nope we treat them very well and pay a living wage, if they want a union, I wouldnt fight them.

700UW said:
I do a great job and have a lot of famous clients, try again.  Its called downtime and having a smartphone, something you wouldnt know about.  And I dont have any events till this afternoon, so Im posting on my time.

I was adding to the topic, something you NEVER do, as its relevant.

And I guess you dont understand simple math, six figures is from $100,000 to $999,999, not too hard for you to understand now is it?  Did your certificate class not cover that?

Nope we treat them very well and pay a living wage, if they want a union, I wouldnt fight them.

You make six figures? 

Thats a lot of snap cards.

How do you manage to keep it all organized?

lol