More revenue, More seats...

You're right about the fact that any retirement (for me) could hardly be called an early retirement. As of 3 days ago I'm closer to my 73rd birthday than I am to my 72nd. But, I'm still enjoying the job, and I'm good at it; so, why retire? My wife and I had plans to retire at the first opportunity (financially) and spend the rest of our days traveling. And, that was long before I went to work for an airline. Unfortunately, she died of cancer 20 years ago in April at the age of 51. Traveling alone is not that much fun.

As far as running for President, not a chance. However, if you want to talk elevating me to King in a divine right monarchy, maybe. But, it would have to be absolute. Otherwise, that possibility of an early retirement plan is intriguing. I'm assuming a good size lump of cash would be involved. I'm easy. I'm not cheap, but I am easy.
I'll need your hat size for the crown. By me all the men who retire drive their wives to garage sales and spend the rest of the day playing Quickdraw, not for me. I will keep going for as long as I can

swamt I just did some quick research and this is what came up.

2016 Employment numbers lowest to highest rough estimates.

SWA: 55,000 Employees
Delta: 80,000 Employees
United: 88,000 Employees
American: 122,000 Employees

American has not begun streamlining their operations yet because they haven't completed full integration still having unfinished contracts.

Reactions: B737 driver
I'll need your hat size for the crown. By me all the men who retire drive their wives to garage sales and spend the rest of the day playing Quickdraw, not for me. I will keep going for as long as I can

My current CC is 68 and has no plans at all to retire. And he does take time off and travel.

American has not begun streamlining their operations yet because they haven't completed full integration still having unfinished contracts.
Yet they keep hiring and hiring and hiring

My current CC is 68 and has no plans at all to retire. And he does take time off and travel.
Weez my sister worked for verizon and just retired at 62,she comes over my house twice a week and now want's to clean out my shed, I think I'm going to hook her up with Jim, soon

Weez my sister worked for verizon and just retired at 62,she comes over my house twice a week and now want's to clean out my shed, I think I'm going to hook her up with Jim, soon

My CC told me he is collecting his SS also. I think to do that he can only earn X amount per year.

Could be a very good sign? Since they can afford it now. Hire all these people, get them up and running and proficient and then offer a buyout to shake out your higher cost older employees.

You lower your overall Labor costs for the long term.

Supposedly, they have major major expansion plans in the works for AA. Lord knows, they're hiring flight attendants like they were about to be swamped with retirements. So far, no retirements to speak of (we had 5 or 6 in the month of September, and none in August), but the hiring just goes on and on.

But, if they have expansion plans in the works, why would Parker even mention early retirement programs as an option in rationalizing staffing?

The scheme to hire new employees to encourage senior employees to retire hasn't worked in the past. What has changed that would make it work now? Top of scale for flight attendants is now reached at 13 years seniority and is around $65/hr. A lot of those top of scale people are not old enough to even consider retirement--minimum age for a newhire flight attendant is 20. Making that kind of money for a job that does not require a lot of effort is not something you walk away from easily.

The company doesn't seem to understand that an early buyout needs to be enhanced with a wad of cash--particularly since they froze the pension and eliminated the retiree medical plan. I just learned the other day that my premiums for Medicare, Parts B&D will be over $200/month--possibly more because now they are once again making noises about making Social Security and Medicare means tested. So much for saving for retirement if all it will mean is reduction and/or increased costs of your SS benefits.

Last edited:
Right. Read Parker states that American "WILL NOT" lay off any employees if there is an overage of headcount due to efficiencies.

If there really are 417 areas that they recognize could be run more efficiently and they implement those changes, then of course there will be more overall Workers throughout the Company than needed.

That's also doesn't mean just one specific workgroup that "could" wind up being effected.
So here lies a question, what will happen if they cannot get 50% of their targeted 417 efficiency projects to be more efficient? This is how I read it, if they do not meet all 417 efficiency projects into more efficiencies then there still could be a chance of lay offs in order to get and force the more efficiency route. If I were the unions I would reach out for a better and black and white explanation from Parker. Just more grey writings that could be taken either way. When you have Tulsa folks expecting lay-offs, Brazil hangars getting built and a history of the company and union agreeing to lower headcount to try and keep pay and benefits in the past, members are sick and tired and will never believe or trust this co. or asso. again, they really would have to prove themselves in a very, very gig way, and this new JCBA is the time to do it, simple as that.

The scary part is that AA said some time ago that after the merger they wanted to be somewhere around 85K-100K (give or take) employees. So where will 22K plus employees end up? You are correct the trimmings have NOT been done yet, when they do most agree it will decrease not increase headcounts. At this point no one knows from which groups, but I will assure you it will be the groups with the most employed by highest numbers getting trimmed the most. And that should worry everyone including management and union ranks.

So here lies a question, what will happen if they cannot get 50% of their targeted 417 efficiency projects to be more efficient? This is how I read it, if they do not meet all 417 efficiency projects into more efficiencies then there still could be a chance of lay offs in order to get and force the more efficiency route. If I were the unions I would reach out for a better and black and white explanation from Parker. Just more grey writings that could be taken either way. When you have Tulsa folks expecting lay-offs, Brazil hangars getting built and a history of the company and union agreeing to lower headcount to try and keep pay and benefits in the past, members are sick and tired and will never believe or trust this co. or asso. again, they really would have to prove themselves in a very, very gig way, and this new JCBA is the time to do it, simple as that.

"Could be a chance"

If the little fat kid over in Asia flattens Seoul of course it's going to happen. Same thing if a decent size meteor gets through and causes a 100 Ft Tsunami to wipe out the whole East Coast of America.

"Could be a chance"

I have another Heart Attack even with three Stents in me?

"Could be a chance"

pretty much of almost anything?

And I don't think you or I or anyone on Forums needs to armchair quarterback and tell the elected representatives of either Union what they need to ask for. They've all been around the block a few times now.

Oh and no one needs to "trust" the Company (Yours or mine) or any of the Unions (Yours or mine) or anyone they don't want to trust for that matter. They need to go to work and do their jobs, and they should vote whenever they get the chance to do that on something. If they don't, they need to also eat, drink and breathe.