Mr.bob Crandall Speaks On Airline Bk

Aug 20, 2002
Valhalla
www.usaviation.com
Chapter 11 also undermines responsible managements. In an intensely competitive industry providing a commodity product, the "dumbest competitor" -- unrestrained by fear of failure, sets the standard. Thus, when irresponsible union demands are granted, or an improvident management adds unrewarding capacity or uneconomic service features, other managements are compelled to choose between matching the new "industry standard" and tolerating labor unrest and lost revenues. Since experience has established that matching irresponsibility is the better long-term business strategy, few managements have been able to resist the perpetual game of "follow the leader"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

(Uncle Bob is a wise man....)

I posted on the US board because I'm sick of hearing the unionists pine for the good 'ol days of Piedmont and ridiculous wage rates -- you are dinosaurs and yesterday the comet impacted your old world.

Bring it.

His ideology...

BEHOLD LABOR UNREST!

Where was Crandall with his soothsayer theories when he was collecting million and millions in undeserved conpmensation in an envirnoment in flux??????

Oh, I guess his theories should only pertain to such greedy labor who ONLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO KEEP A ROOF OVER THE HEADS INSTEAD OF HAVING THE THREAT OF COLLECTION AGENTS AT YOUR DOOR!

YES! The Industry needs to tolerate corporate/labor unrest for a very, very long time!

whatkindoffreshhell said:

[post="301774"][/post]​
uncle bob is a crook!!!
uncle bob should be in prison--where he would righly earn the title of "uncle"

whatkindoffreshhell said:
Chapter 11 also undermines responsible managements. In an intensely competitive industry providing a commodity product, the "dumbest competitor" -- unrestrained by fear of failure, sets the standard. Thus, when irresponsible union demands are granted, or an improvident management adds unrewarding capacity or uneconomic service features, other managements are compelled to choose between matching the new "industry standard" and tolerating labor unrest and lost revenues. Since experience has established that matching irresponsibility is the better long-term business strategy, few managements have been able to resist the perpetual game of "follow the leader"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I posted on the US board because I'm sick of hearing the unionists pine for the good 'ol days of Piedmont and ridiculous wage rates -- you are dinosaurs and yesterday the comet impacted your old world.

Bring it.

[post="301774"][/post]​

OK,

http://www.twu555.org/contract.html

Page 67 shows WN TOS to be $24. Prior to BK, the best US fleet did was $21.

WN 401k. US fleet 401k.

Apples & apples.

Brought it.

What we've got is an increasing pie (GDP going up) and increased productivity (employees more efficient).

Intuitively, one would think that would translate into more pie for employees.

That's not happening, per the financial mack daddy, Greenspan.

According to a CBS report, " The Fed chief than added that the 80 percent of the workforce represented by non-supervisory workers has recently seen little, if any, income growth at all. The top 20 percent of supervisory, salaried, and other workers has.

The result of this, said Greenspan, is that the U.S. now has a significant divergence in the fortunes of different groups in its labor market. "As I've often said, this is not the type of thing which a democratic society — a capitalist democratic society — can really accept without addressing," Greenspan told the congressional hearing. "

Apologists, who I would guess are profiting from this dynamic, are selling any kind of snake oil they can to get working folks to hold still for the fleecing.

It's either too complicated for us to understand, or "things will work out."

To which I reply "don't pi$$ down my back and holler rain," and "for whom?"

Mr. Crandal will go down in history with his name written alongside those of Mr. Icahn and Mr. Lorenzo as those who contributed to the demise of the airline worker in the US.

PITbull said:
His ideology...

BEHOLD LABOR UNREST!
Where was Crandall with his soothsayer theories when he was collecting million and millions in undeserved conpmensation in an envirnoment in flux??????

Oh, I guess his theories should only pertain to such greedy labor who ONLY WANT TO BE ABLE TO KEEP A ROOF OVER THE HEADS INSTEAD OF HAVING THE THREAT OF COLLECTION AGENTS AT YOUR DOOR!

YES! The Industry needs to tolerate corporate/labor unrest for a very, very long time!
[post="301785"][/post]​

Evidently your former customers don't need to tolerate unrest.

Hey, the customer wants to afford airline tickets. Figure it out. Your competitors have. Called a free market.

EyeInTheSky said:
They don't call him FAAng for nothing. If Bob thinks he can do a better job then he ought to manage another airline.
[post="301895"][/post]​

As if he needs to prove himself? Besides, Arpey was Crandall's protege, and there's more than enough of the Crandall legacy built into AMR to last for many, many years to come.

Crandall is a legend. Few have taken a company that was in the shape that AMR was in back in the early 80's and turned it into the largest airline in the world.

Call him a crook, call him a SOB, but at least he was interested in running an airline and generating net worth for the shareholders, as opposed to trying to sell the place to a willing bidder, which is what US's previous three of the last four CEO's spent most of their time doing.

thought he quit smoking - after bob ? vp of flight died of lung cancer. oh well.
one other thing - bc left with a legacy of the worst employee relations record in the industry (next to lorenzo). not exactly herb kelleher - you know "screw the pax, keep the employees happy." he (bc) also created a mgmt class of yes men who feared losing their jobs for not toeing the party line. imo

mwa said:
he (bc) also created a mgmt class of yes men who feared losing their jobs for not toeing the party line. imo
[post="302859"][/post]​

Well, that's not how I saw it. I got to present stuff to Bob while he was still here, and all you had to do was have your ducks in a row before sitting down with him at the table. If anything, Crandall created a class of people who knew to ask their people all the same types of questions that he'd eventually be asking. Those who didn't have answers, or thought they could bluff or bullshit the Chairman were the same ones who feared for their jobs. And rightly so.

Bob Baker's losing a lung and a half to smoking (several years before his death) certainly shook him up, but not enough to quit. But Mike Gunn and a few others who also smoked on 6N did quit after Baker was first diagnosed with lung cancer.

Latest posts

Back