New AA Fleet numbers: LAA or LUS method ?

PHX-F/A

Veteran
Aug 14, 2005
Visit site
Has anyone heard of what method the company is going to adopt for fleet numbering?  The new delivery 321-S at LUS was running in the 500 series when the merger was tendered.  The last LUS delivery was last summer and there were several that were in the 900 series.
There's some overlap that they have to solve, and I know it all hinges on IT , but I have not heard or seen anything in print as to how they are proceeding.

What ever they come up with, I hope the do like AS does. Put the number over the flight deck windows so you can see it from the terminal windows head on.

PHX-F/A said:
Has anyone heard of what method the company is going to adopt for fleet numbering?
When we got the A321T (3 class transcon config) the first one was numbered 783.  A mechanic told me this was to maintain compatibility with the US 321s.

Our first A321S (Standard - 16/165 config) starts at 850 and currently runs to 894. 

Our A319s (8-120) started at 001 and currently run through 032

MK

Reactions: 1 person
kirkpatrick said:
When we got the A321T (3 class transcon config) the first one was numbered 783.  A mechanic told me this was to maintain compatibility with the US 321s.

Our first A321S (Standard - 16/165 config) starts at 850 and currently runs to 894. 

Our A319s (8-120) started at 001 and currently run through 032

MK
I think it's going to be a mess.  You would think that they would either go with 4 digit numbers or the alphanumeric that LAA has.  Exhaust the digits first 500-599, then expand that fleet type with 5aa-5zz.
There's overlap in fleet type with the 800-s  The former AWA 319 fleet is in the 800 block. 801-839  and the former old US 319's are in the 700 block.  See what I mean about overlap.

Unless someone is (and forgive the expression) a RainMan, you should be able to see the tail number and know exactly what your dealing with before you actually see the aircraft or any of its docs.

Geez-louise, they'll spend money like crazy on things, but say something like aircraft harmonization is really expensive and go the cheap way.

I believe that they are just going with what has been referred to as the "sabre" ship numbers. As we know on the LUS side, the Express fleet has been using the letter cide over the numbers since US switched over to Sabre in 1999. From what I'm seeing, it appears as if the LAA metal will continue to use the 3 letter code, while the LUS fleet will use a 3 digit ship number. That's what they've been putting on the AC in smaller fonts under the registration number. I've always had a habit of following AC numbering at all airlines, and know that DL's registration numbers don't match the ship numbers in many cases, and this has been taking place long before the merger with NW.

Also don't forget LAA uses nose numbers not the actually tail numbers to identify the aircraft, in those with alpa numeric #s.

I thought the proper term for what AA and DL do is the nose number, not the tail number.

It's probably easier to fit the US fleet into AA's scheme. Changing FOS, RM, and everything else that relies on three character fleet numbers is a pretty steep order. When pm-AA was looking at the Amadeus weight and balance system, there was a lot of concern that everything that particular system did was based on tail number, and everything that AA did was by nose number.

eolesen said:
I thought the proper term for what AA and DL do is the nose number, not the tail number.

It's probably easier to fit the US fleet into AA's scheme. Changing FOS, RM, and everything else that relies on three character fleet numbers is a pretty steep order. When pm-AA was looking at the Amadeus weight and balance system, there was a lot of concern that everything that particular system did was based on tail number, and everything that AA did was by nose number.

tail number/ship number for Delta. (at least that is what it is internally called.) 

The number will be on the nose gear doors and the top of the tail. I don't recall seeing a number on the top of the tail for American. 

Airlines have different interpretations of tail number....

Tail number = registration number, FAA controlled & assigned

Nose number = fleet or ship number, internally control & assigned

AA currently displays the nose number/fleet number/ship number on the nose gear doors, and immediately under the registration in smaller letters. They also used to have it next to the forward cargo doors so it was visible to the loading crew (the nose doors aren't always visible).

Aft shot -- nose number under registration
www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/Boeing-777-223-ER/1799501/

Forward shot -- nose number to right of fwd cargo door
http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-82/0187241

AA first used nose/fleet/ship numbers which had no correlation to the last three of the registration number around 1990. The MD11 and F100 fleets were the first to get them from the start. The 757 fleet got them partway into the second batch of deliveries, as did the MD80s kept from TW.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/American-Airlines/McDonnell-Douglas-MD-11/0186133

The nose gear doors now have the AC type on them as well. While I'm sure that some may disagree with me, I find that to be idiotic. I've been around, and worked many different fleet types in my career, and never had any difficulty knowing what type of AC it was beyond a visual sighting. The only thing that I can see being of use is the ETOPS identification.

Recognizing a 737 Max vs. a predecessor might not be too easy. Same thing for an A320Neo and a vanilla A320. How about the multiple versions of the 321?

Might not make a difference if you're just throwing bags, but to a caterer or fueler, it could.

Nothing screws up an operation better than parking on the wrong stop bar, and not realizing it until you start blowing the wingtip clearances on the adjacent gates.

In theory that sounds legit, but I don't belive that you are going to sight the AC type before you park it, and wasn't aware that there was a size difference between a NEO or standard AB. If I'm a catering agent, fueler, or ramp agent, I'm going to know the AC# and type before it arrives. Let's be realistic here, how many years did those of us in the business need the AC type plastered on the nose area to get our job done properly? If you're properly prepared to do your job, you don't need it.

Not arguing the fact most of us did fine without the crutch. On bad weather days, I've seen hundreds of last second gate changes where something else pulled onto the gate vs. what was expected. Most of the time, not a big deal, but in airports where they're squeezing out every last inch of space with overlaps, hitting the wrong line really is an issue.

For the extra $20 in decal expense (or $2 in paint?), it's not something I'd get all worked up over.

wings396 said:
The nose gear doors now have the AC type on them as well. While I'm sure that some may disagree with me, I find that to be idiotic. I've been around, and worked many different fleet types in my career, and never had any difficulty knowing what type of AC it was beyond a visual sighting. The only thing that I can see being of use is the ETOPS identification.

Sadly, even the decals under the nose aren't enough for some people.

img.jpg

Reactions: 5 people