New Business Class Seats Choosen

eolesen said:
Yeah, I'm going to call BS on the blame there, FWAAA.

Horton was effectively neutered from early 2012, and had little significant influence from the point it was clear he was just a placeholder.

The merger closed in December 2013, which left Parker over two years to reverse course if he wanted to.
Fair enough. Horton oversaw the planning for the "feel every movement of the connected seat occupant" seats that are in the 787-8s and the 772s, so in my book, he shares some of the blame for trying to be cute with the new seats.

And you're right: Parker moved in to HDQ not long after the Feb. 2013 merger agreement was announced, and he could have cancelled that boondoggle and ordered up the tried-and-true Cirrus seats. In my book, there is plenty of blame to go around.

In retrospect, I'll bet that Parker wishes he had killed the custom seat. It delayed the 787 entry into service and delayed some subsequent deliveries when the planes were parked in the desert for lack of seats. Killing the new seat would have been the best choice (in hindsight).

It's amazing how folks think every decision is made by the CEO - when lots of decisions are made further down the org - does one think the first thing Doug was concerned about was a seat order at the time of the merger

eolesen said:
I can only recall three times since 2000 that AA messed around with seat density.... MRTC, LRTC, and the addition of MCE.

When else did this happen?

Some 767-300s refitted  with the new thompson seats in B/C...no F/C.. The seats alternate in configuration so you don't directly behind another seat thus blocking your view. 
Converting the 777's with rear facing seats as well.

jcw said:
It's amazing how folks think every decision is made by the CEO - when lots of decisions are made further down the org - does one think the first thing Doug was concerned about was a seat order at the time of the merger
Two things:

1. Top management gets the blame when poor decisions are made, even if top management didn't actually make the decision; and

2. Horton had a lot to do with the new livery:

Mr. Horton said during the Christmas break of 2011, he had two 777 models at his home, each bearing a different paint job prepared by FutureBrand, a global brand consulting firm. He said he kept going to look at the two, and the airline, with input from customers and employees, settled on the one unveiled Thursday.
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323968304578247681812331570

After taking over, Parker invited employees to vote on whether the new livery remained. CEOs weighed in on the new paint job. IMO, it defies logic that the CEO doesn't sign off on something like new premium cabin seats that will total hundreds of millions of dollars worth of investment. And even Horton and Parker were oblivious to the new seat decisions, point one above pins the blame on one or both of them.

CEOs don't get to push the blame for poor decisions downstream to their underlings - they own the company's mistakes.

Reactions: 2 people
Had Horton authorized the plain-Jane Cirrus seats (like the 77W and all US A330s), odds are the 772 re-seating CIP would be complete by now.

FWAAA, what does CIP stand for, change in P?? I here a lot of MODs referred to as CIP, just don't know what the acronym is.
Thanks.

UPNAWAY said:
FWAAA, what does CIP stand for, change in P?? I here a lot of MODs referred to as CIP, just don't know what the acronym is.
Thanks.
"Cabin Improvement Program." Must be a legacy AA (LAA) phrase/acronym.

FWAAA said:
Two things:1. Top management gets the blame when poor decisions are made, even if top management didn't actually make the decision; and2. Horton had a lot to do with the new livery: http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424127887323968304578247681812331570After taking over, Parker invited employees to vote on whether the new livery remained. CEOs weighed in on the new paint job. IMO, it defies logic that the CEO doesn't sign off on something like new premium cabin seats that will total hundreds of millions of dollars worth of investment. And even Horton and Parker were oblivious to the new seat decisions, point one above pins the blame on one or both of them.CEOs don't get to push the blame for poor decisions downstream to their underlings - they own the company's mistakes.
That's right they don't however when a board is endless bashing of the CEO at some point you have to think and wonder - is anyone other than the CEO responsible for anything at the company - doesn't seem like there are any complements when things go right